Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2138155)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that case the tank is possibly an ATL plastic type in ,as you noted, an Ally Box.Dont forget that IF you just have an Alloy tank,you will need to do the Firewall thing.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2142920)   #27
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus
You do have to use bulk head fittings at the firewalls and cushion clamps every 300 mm or so but for a professional, serviceable installation you cannot beat it.
But you're not allowed any fuel line connections within the cockpit area ?
So using bulkhead fittings at either end is illegal and dangerous, should the fitting come loose. Which I think is the thought behind the rule.
I've seen cars pass scruitineering with bulkhead fittings coming thru the firewall, so think it depends on the scruit more than anything.

We run the braided hose in the rally car, it is a pain to run due to it's size. Up the tunnel is about the least intrusive. A caution for those using those Super fuels like ELF. It seems to get thru this style hose somehow, you never see it, but geez can you smell it. Even now the car has a faint odour of ELF and we haven't used th stuff for years.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2143316)   #28
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But you're not allowed any fuel line connections within the cockpit area ?
not true, but any fittings used must be FIA approved

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 9 Mar 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2147218)   #29
boyracer
Racer

Hmm...must just be CAMs making life 'enjoyable' for us again.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2147448)   #30
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer
Hmm...must just be CAMs making life 'enjoyable' for us again.
Could you please elaborate on that?

Mick
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2148236)   #31
boyracer
Racer

Near 100% sure that fuel line connections aren't allowed in the cockpit area, under CAMS. Haven't got the latest manual in front of me to double check. Will check a mates tomorrow night, he was the one who mentioned it years ago when we were building his rally car. Though I have since seen another car with bulkhead fittings in the cockpit area.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2148292)   #32
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok, no fittings in the cockpit. Fair enough, and theres probably a way around it.

But I'm still a bit confused. Exactly how is CAM$ making your life enjoyable about that?

Mick
Old 13 Mar 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2150678)   #33
boyracer
Racer

Wouldn't be the first time CAMS have gone to the Nth degree when the other nations don't see it as necessary.

Chatted to my mate and another racer on Tuesday, got conflicting reports, It seems that as long as there is a single fitting per end per fuel line, life is good as far as most people are concerned. Though my mate was fairly sure the FAI ruling was for no 'fluid couplings' within the cockpit area and as we had intended to compaign the car in Rally Australia that's why we grommetted the fuel lines thru the bodywork. I'll have to track down the FAI regs and check it out.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2151568)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
solid copper pipe from boot, throgh cockpit and into engine bay, one piece, big pl;astic/rubber grommets through bulkhead, all held in with rubber covered P clips, a flexible rubber connection at each end . . . I used to have braided hoses but A: they perish and you can't see, and B: I've had them twist inside the braid and cause fuel starvation problems.

braided brake hoses are great, but like silicone water hoses for 15 psi water for fuel I don't like the bling factor and paying thrice for it so aeroquip it aint for me