Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2001, 08:31 (Ref:113258)   #1
Blackjack21
Rookie

Blackjack21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Right Stuff!

So much talk about newfound abilities of Ralf got me to thinking. Does Ralf have the talent and motivation to become a F1 WDC? Looking back at his performance this year - San Marino, Canada, Nuremberg and France I don’t see the killer instinct necessary to be a WDC. In Canada he was unable to pass his brother even though he had the faster car. In Germany he made stupid mistakes that cost him the race. In France although he led he was passed in the pits and fell behind his teammate.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Ralf and think he is one of the best in F1 today. He will win more races but I don’t think he is championship material. He will win a WDC only if he has no competition Hopefully, he will prove me wrong. What’s your opinion?

Old 5 Jul 2001, 08:36 (Ref:113261)   #2
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not always a pre-requisite to have a killer instinct to be WDC. Sometimes you get a bit of luck. Nobody was even talking about Mika until he turned up for work one day and his car was 1.5secs quicker than the rest. Hell, even Eddie Irvine almost had a WDC fall in his lap.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 09:16 (Ref:113273)   #3
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Killer instinct I don't think is a pre-requisite either. Ralf is still growning as a F1 driver and yes his has more than able to be a future champ even as early as next year if all goes right . I think Ralf will be 2nd in this year WDC as I belive that he will win at least 2 more race's as far as France was concerned a bad pit stop and tyre sets that were not kind to him really can not be blamed on Ralf but thats racing . to say Ralf has been to weak to overtake his brother on track well just think about this brother can think alike so sometimes they can also drive alike in both styles attacking and defeneding
Old 5 Jul 2001, 11:43 (Ref:113327)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its unfair to say that Ralf is not a killer because he cannot overtake his brother in a faster car...because its Michael you are talking about...one of the hardest guys to overtake together with Jacques Villeneuve. It takes really great racers who first dared to carry out such a move, have the confidence to do it cleanly, and then the needed skills to actually carry it out. JPM has the ability to do so, Michael himself also another one, and JV sometimes have it too. Alesi, and surprisingly Eddie occasionally, are also worth mensioning whom i believe possible to do it if not of their lesser cars. David, well i wouldnt hold him as one of them as his move on Michael are often executed in dubious conditions when MS's Ferrari are in trouble. Mika...maybe...that Spa move...but bar a couple, nobody really have what it takes to overtake MS and the likes...
Old 5 Jul 2001, 14:44 (Ref:113390)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
JPM has the ability to do so
Definitely !!!
Old 5 Jul 2001, 18:19 (Ref:113476)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, except JPM could care less whether the result is another place or two beached cars in a gravel trap. But, F1 is boring as it is, so all the power to him.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 19:16 (Ref:113504)   #7
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one has stuff as right as Michael Schumacher, but somehow Jacques Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen won world championships with MS breathing down their necks. Certainly Ralf is fast enough; give him a faster car and/or a little luck and he will be champion.

As I said in my amateur report for F1Rumors, sometimes the race goes to the driver with patience and brains.

http://f1rumors.net/articles/mblock/2-1.html

Last edited by eatapc; 5 Jul 2001 at 19:17.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 19:43 (Ref:113510)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: The Right Stuff!

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackjack21
In Canada he was unable to pass his brother even though he had the faster car.
Actually, the reason he didn't pass TGF in Canada was because when he came to the end of the final straight he was hitting the rev limiter and having to back off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackjack21
In France although he led he was passed in the pits and fell behind his teammate.
Since when was a dodgy set of tyres the fault of the driver?

Last edited by Ralf's Girl; 5 Jul 2001 at 19:45.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 23:03 (Ref:113567)   #9
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf is overratted. The BMW-Williams is very fast. Thats why he has won. Ralf doesnt have that "gift" that his brother has. It is something you can not learn. You either have it or not. JPM has it, so does JV. Senna was the definition of it.
In Ralf's favor, he is smart, makes good judgements, and is technically knowledgeable. He will peak when he has learned all there is to know. His talent has already reached its maximum. From now on speed will come from figuring out how to make the car faster. For MS, JPM, and JV increased speed can come from within, as well as from the car.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 03:29 (Ref:113609)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Some of you guys have been out playing with AMoffat, havn't you? Well, you stay away from him, I have to warn you that he is a bad influence on you.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 03:41 (Ref:113611)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
No one has stuff as right as Michael Schumacher, but somehow Jacques Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen won world championships with MS breathing down their necks. Certainly Ralf is fast enough; give him a faster car and/or a little luck and he will be champion.

As I said in my amateur report for F1Rumors, sometimes the race goes to the driver with patience and brains.

http://f1rumors.net/articles/mblock/2-1.html
Let me get this straight. You went to the Grand Prix, and left your wife and 8 year old son outside in tears because you lost their tickets? And you claim you are happily married?? Boy!! Have I got news for you.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 6 Jul 2001 at 03:47.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 10:40 (Ref:113684)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Ralf is overratted. The BMW-Williams is very fast. Thats why he has won. Ralf doesnt have that "gift" that his brother has. It is something you can not learn. You either have it or not. JPM has it, so does JV. Senna was the definition of it.
In Ralf's favor, he is smart, makes good judgements, and is technically knowledgeable. He will peak when he has learned all there is to know. His talent has already reached its maximum. From now on speed will come from figuring out how to make the car faster. For MS, JPM, and JV increased speed can come from within, as well as from the car.
Now people here is a guy (or girl) who has really just arrived here and in one post has spoken the truth as it is concerning the younger brother in a way that some of you who have been here since the inception have managed to miss.

BD, you are indeed a scholar.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 12:30 (Ref:113724)   #13
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Let me get this straight. You went to the Grand Prix, and left your wife and 8 year old son outside in tears because you lost their tickets? And you claim you are happily married?? Boy!! Have I got news for you.
Just put me in "bad dad" jail and throw away the key! To set the record straight:
--When the group's tickets were sent out there was a mix up, and a friend got 2 of my tickets. The friend was either going to Fed Ex them or show up at the hotel Friday morning, but by the time we had to leave for the track we didn't know where they were.
--I gave everyone the same choice: 2 can go shopping/sightseeing, 2 can go to the race track. My wife didn't want to see the first practice anyway. She was happy to go shopping. My oldest son came back from the morning shopping spree with a scale model 2001 Ferrari and a Ferrari backpack. He was quite happy. I went to the track with the youngest. We were happy. (The friend showed up with the tickets around noon.) Yes, I'm still happily married.

What would you have done?
Old 6 Jul 2001, 12:48 (Ref:113734)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What would I have done

Let's see...

Waited to the tickets turned up.

Then made some half arsed excuse to leave with them.

Then sold them for twice their face value at the track.

Gone to practice session.

Throwing around my new found money on loose women and beer.

Hi, I'm AMoffat's conscience, and right now I'm disgusted this guy with a wife, three kids, a mortgage etc etc would suggest such a thing.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:22 (Ref:113830)   #15
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
COULD RALF EVER BE CHAMPION?? Yes, but only if the car's there for him. IF next years Williams is ANYWHERE NEAR as good as it should be, then he's in with a real chance. But even so, next year I'll be backing JPM all the way in the battle of the Willaims's. For what ever reason, I've just been STARTLED (and occasionally horrified) by his performances this year. I am admant this guy will be a future WDC, and I for one hope he is. He's got PERSONALITY and isn't always striving to be PC. He's aggressive, attacking and fun to watch. I am a JPM convert.

Anyway, back to topic. So long as Michael is in F1 I can't see Ralf winning for the simple fact that TGF's better. Not just by a little bit, but by a considerable margin. The car has flattered Ralf a LOT this year. Remember, he was given an awful fright by Button last year, and in a poor car, his talents are being stunted.

Sooooo... the big question, does Ralf DESERVE to be a WDC??

Erm....

Ooooooh.....

Eeeeeee.....

No.

He's not good enough. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I can't back up this argument. It is COMPLETELY hollow, I admit.

But RALF??? WDC??? I don't know. Doesn't ring true.

Oh OK then, maybe in 2005, BUT NO SOONER.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:27 (Ref:113833)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Ralf is overratted. The BMW-Williams is very fast. Thats why he has won.
In which case, surely Montoya should have won two races and had a pole position this year? Seeing as Ralf is apparently so over-rated and Montoya is so wonderful and Ralf is only winning because he has a fast car...
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:41 (Ref:113840)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..yes but you're missing the point: IS RALF WDC MATERIAL?? REALLY???
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:48 (Ref:113842)   #18
BD
Racer

Technically Ralf is a very good driver. Just not exceptionally quick. Montoya is amazingly quick. He just needs to learn to settle down.
Consider the fact that Montoya's set-ups wont be nearly as good as Ralf's due to unfamiliarity with the car. Ralf is a seasoned F1 driver who is comfortable with his engineers and the car. Montoya wants to set fastest lap every time out no matter how bad the set up is.
What Ralf has, Montoya can learn. What Montoya has Ralf will never have or even comprehend.

As far as being overrated, I say this because last year he was occasionally outpaced by his rookie teammate, who hasnt done much to impress this year. If you want to know who's underrated, look at Fisichella.

I have no emotional attachment to any of these drivers. Maybe if one of them was from my country, but none of them are. I just say it like it is.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:51 (Ref:113843)   #19
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
IS RALF WDC MATERIAL?? REALLY???
Yes.

BD mentioned how good the Williams is. I should think that Ralf's two years of developing what was formerly a poor excuse for an F1 car into a race-winning car has something to do with it. Ralf is quick and he can think - Montoya has the speed but he makes a lot of rash errors (like crashing in Monaco).
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:52 (Ref:113844)   #20
BD
Racer

As far as being WDC material, this season is probably Ralf's only realistic chance for a long time. If Montoya is with Williams next year, he should dominate Ralf. All he needs is time to figure out the Formula 1 game.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:58 (Ref:113848)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
That's not really true. Why should Montoya be so much better than Ralf next year? Montoya has come into F1 with a very high level of single-seater experience, and the weight of expectation upon him because of it. A lot of the people who predicted Montoya's arrival spelling the end of Ralf's F1 career must be eating their hats now - 10 races in and I have seen no sign whatsoever of Montoya being faster or better. Outqualifying your team-mate (your much-vaunted, Indy 500-winner, ChampCar-champion team-mate) 9-1 is pretty impressive. And don't forget that Montoya is by no means secure at Williams - they have an option on a talented young driver in Jenson Button, and there's nothing to stop them bringing him back in 2003 and ditching Montoya. While Ralf stays.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 20:59 (Ref:113849)   #22
BD
Racer

Ralf's girl,
I agree with you. He has done alot to contribute to the Williams team. They wouldnt have extended his multi-million dollar contract if he wasnt worth it.
Ralf is a good guy. His driving ethics make him look like a saint compared to his brother. He uses his brain while driving, and doesnt make silly mistakes. He will have a long, succesful career as an F1 driver. I just wouldnt bet on a WDC for a few years. Who know's, by then Minardi may be the best team.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 21:01 (Ref:113852)   #23
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
I just wouldnt bet on a WDC for a few years.
Don't be too sure about that.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 21:06 (Ref:113857)   #24
BD
Racer

If Williams bring back Button, Ralf will only have to deal with Michael and probably the McLarens. If they keep Montoya, he'll have to beat him first, then worry about everyone else. Through all of this I dont see him becoming champion. Just hope that Button comes back and Montoya goes to a lesser team. Thats his only realistic chance.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 05:30 (Ref:113993)   #25
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BD
Technically Ralf is a very good driver. Just not exceptionally quick. Montoya is amazingly quick. I just say it like it is.
what a load of ****.

If TCF is soooooo much faster/quicker than Ralf why is TCF always behind in qualifing

People alway ask for credit when and if TCF does actual finish and race . how many stuff ups and bad luck does this guy need . putting simple his got the car & the tyres are up to the job so why does he never finish a race hmmmmmm maybe the so call talent its not all there . Yes bring Button back least he will finish and get some points .
Ralf will repeat this year's form beating TCF next year and will take the fight to his brother for the WDC

Ralf will also finish 2nd this year