Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Oct 2022, 20:12 (Ref:4129293)   #351
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Chilton says "all" the chassis. So could be a few spare Hyundais on offer next year!

All the chassis will undergo upgrade work
Old 9 Oct 2022, 14:01 (Ref:4129478)   #352
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Also, believe Addison alluded to Ricky Collard's return being uncertain.
Just confirmed Collard will not be returning.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 14:46 (Ref:4129492)   #353
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of a fairytale gone bad, isn't it. Somehow not surprised at all, haven't heard him saying about it but wonder what his reasons are. Just unhappy about his results or unhappy about the championship in general?

Anyway, I'd expected him to do a lot better.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 15:46 (Ref:4129510)   #354
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
A bit of a fairytale gone bad, isn't it. Somehow not surprised at all, haven't heard him saying about it but wonder what his reasons are. Just unhappy about his results or unhappy about the championship in general?

Anyway, I'd expected him to do a lot better.
he said on the pitlane walkabout tannoy that hes not racing any more and having a change of life and moving overseas.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4129525)   #355
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HARD doing 2 for 1 on retirements again.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4129551)   #356
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
HARD doing 2 for 1 on retirements again.
Same as every year. Driver gives up (probably due to the car being craply maintained), replacement comes in for the last round, tootles around, car "breaks" and not seen again. TBL commitments however are fulfilled.

Bobby Thompson needs to get the hell out of there - he is way better than the team. nearly every race the rest of the team fill the last page of the standings - sometimes due to their own lack of skill, but quite often due to mechanical issues.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 17:24 (Ref:4129553)   #357
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies for the wrong thread post ?
Old 9 Oct 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4129555)   #358
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
Bobby Thompson needs to get the hell out of there - he is way better than the team. nearly every race the rest of the team fill the last page of the standings - sometimes due to their own lack of skill, but quite often due to mechanical issues.
Disappointingly he seemed very keen to stay on and develop the Cupra next year. Hopefully a better offer comes along for him.

Wiped the floor with Taylor-Smith.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 17:33 (Ref:4129556)   #359
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
Same as every year. Driver gives up (probably due to the car being craply maintained), replacement comes in for the last round, tootles around, car "breaks" and not seen again. TBL commitments however are fulfilled.

Bobby is obviously happy with the package he gets from HARD as he’s been with them for years, even before BTCC he drove for them in VW Cup. Other than one year at PMR, he’s been with HARD since 2015.

Another team may be able to offer a ‘better’ car, but if he’s happy with HARD as a team and happy with the money they charge, he might not be interested in changing.

He’s proved that he can make a ‘bad’ car work incredibly well in comparison to his team mates.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 20:39 (Ref:4129584)   #360
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Bobby is obviously happy with the package he gets from HARD as he’s been with them for years, even before BTCC he drove for them in VW Cup. Other than one year at PMR, he’s been with HARD since 2015.

Another team may be able to offer a ‘better’ car, but if he’s happy with HARD as a team and happy with the money they charge, he might not be interested in changing.

He’s proved that he can make a ‘bad’ car work incredibly well in comparison to his team mates.
didn't he do a year with AMD?
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:05 (Ref:4129586)   #361
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What apart from AmD Audi?
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:18 (Ref:4129589)   #362
Evantra
Veteran

England
Also I doubt he has the largest budget, which is probably a considerable factor in ending up at HARD. However, currently he has the benefit of being the #1 driver.

Wonder how Jack Goff would've got on had he not parted ways, and whether there's any potential for him making a return next season. Don't think he's raced at all this year.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:18 (Ref:4129590)   #363
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:

I'd say he would prefer to be in a better team/car, judging by his double door slam this afternoon.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:20 (Ref:4129591)   #364
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wonder how Jack Goff would've got on had he not parted ways, and whether there's any potential for him making a return next season. Don't think he's raced at all this year.
Has he stopped sounding off about poison vaccines on Facebook yet?
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4129592)   #365
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok where are the lists for next season ?
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:31 (Ref:4129593)   #366
Evantra
Veteran

England
Perhaps rather early in the silly season to be clutching at straws, but lets start as we mean to go on! Max Coates saying he's finished his Mini racing, coinciding with his team's potential move (but recently quiet and far from certain) into the BTCC next year.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4129595)   #367
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Has he stopped sounding off about poison vaccines on Facebook yet?
Seemed to be watching football over BTCC today from his tweet.
Old 9 Oct 2022, 21:34 (Ref:4129596)   #368
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
judging by his double door slam this afternoon.
Even the door didn't work properly!
Old 10 Oct 2022, 05:45 (Ref:4129628)   #369
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A bit of HARD. bashing going on again. Is it really justified?

They put a car together for Thompson that saw him bag more points than any Infiniti or Vauxhall driver.

Before the season, everyone was telling us how good Ash Hand is, and the Infiniti was a championship winning car with a race winning driver in the team.

But Autobrite finished ahead of Laser Tools, PMR and Apec Racing in the Teams'.

3rd and 7th in the Independents' title suggests the car has merit?
Old 10 Oct 2022, 06:46 (Ref:4129633)   #370
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we might see quite a few changes this winter as I am sure a few teams will be unhappy with how their seasons panned out;

Dynamics - 7 podiums between their drivers is very below-par for them. Time for a new car? Have they got the budget to go and build some new shape Civics which look quite slippery....
BTC - can they sort their engine issues out? Maybe go back to the Honda/Neil Brown unit?
Laser Tools - a few good results but generally midfield which isn't where Aiden wants to be
Motorbase - rumours of new cars (not Fords) for the NAPA pairing, but Jackson and Osborne were back markers this year. Jackson scoring less points than 2 Cupras and the 2 Astras
PMR - The Astras are never going to be at the pointy end now, where do they go car wise to stay in the series?

Likely to be some movement TBL wise too - will Boardley sell his on pushing Hard down to a 3 car operation?
Old 10 Oct 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4129650)   #371
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A bit of HARD. bashing going on again. Is it really justified?
From fifteen results this weekend (5 drivers, 3 races), only five of those were not retirements or crashes. Excluding miracle worker Thompson, the best result of those was a 20th.

Poor Boardley - gets two weekends, in one the car supposedly doesn't make it past the Saturday and the other he gets 3 non-finishes. In fact I don't think we got replays of either time he ended up in the gravel yesterday.

I'm sure there are commercial reasons (of course it must make them more money, save for all the replacement parts needed) but I don't really understand why HARD doesn't consolidate there resources into two cars rather than stretch it over five. Or keep being allowed the TBLs! Would be very surprised if Taylor-Smith or Hamilton re-sign, but seems they keep coming back...
Old 10 Oct 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4129653)   #372
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I think we might see quite a few changes this winter as I am sure a few teams will be unhappy with how their seasons panned out;

Dynamics - 7 podiums between their drivers is very below-par for them. Time for a new car? Have they got the budget to go and build some new shape Civics which look quite slippery....
BTC - can they sort their engine issues out? Maybe go back to the Honda/Neil Brown unit?
Laser Tools - a few good results but generally midfield which isn't where Aiden wants to be
Motorbase - rumours of new cars (not Fords) for the NAPA pairing, but Jackson and Osborne were back markers this year. Jackson scoring less points than 2 Cupras and the 2 Astras
PMR - The Astras are never going to be at the pointy end now, where do they go car wise to stay in the series?

Likely to be some movement TBL wise too - will Boardley sell his on pushing Hard down to a 3 car operation?
I think you're spot on there, 2023 could be a year of significant change.

Probably a lot of driver changes over the winter, hopefully some new cars on the grid, possibly some team changes too. While Plato and Collard have confirmed they are leaving, it was probably also the last appearances for several drivers on the grid I would imagine unless they can stump up the budget for 2023. There's a few talented names in MINI JCWs and other series who could be good enough to make the step-up if they have the sponsorship/funding.

With regard to Boardley's 2 TBLs, I wonder if Alan Gow might try and get them back to reduce the grid to 27 cars (something he's wanted to do for years). Otherwise, where they end up could be quite interesting for the overall composition of the grid next year. Fingers crossed the TBL ownership should get announced in early December.
Old 10 Oct 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4129659)   #373
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From fifteen results this weekend (5 drivers, 3 races), only five of those were not retirements or crashes. Excluding miracle worker Thompson, the best result of those was a 20th.

Poor Boardley - gets two weekends, in one the car supposedly doesn't make it past the Saturday and the other he gets 3 non-finishes. In fact I don't think we got replays of either time he ended up in the gravel yesterday.

I'm sure there are commercial reasons (of course it must make them more money, save for all the replacement parts needed) but I don't really understand why HARD doesn't consolidate there resources into two cars rather than stretch it over five. Or keep being allowed the TBLs! Would be very surprised if Taylor-Smith or Hamilton re-sign, but seems they keep coming back...
Team HARD have always puzzled me, but we should be grateful that they have kept 5 cars on the grid (sort of). Further to your first point, Hamilton seemed to have atrocious reliability at the end of the season, retiring from 6 of the last 9 races (interestingly always race 2 and race 3).

I believe ITV said at Croft that Boardley was unwell rather than there being any car shenanigans. The car did the Friday shakedown, and then Boardley withdrew. I must say though that this weekend did seem a bit NASCAR "start-and-park" at points.

If previous years are anything to go by, we won't know their line-up until a couple of days before Donington Park in April 2023. Assuming they still have 5 licences to use, I would guess Thompson and ATS are more certain, the other three seats a little less certain but maybe including Boardley and/or Hamilton.
Old 10 Oct 2022, 09:16 (Ref:4129663)   #374
Evantra
Veteran

England
Collard via Autosport:

"But the sport’s changing a lot – there’s a reason why people like Jason [Plato] are retiring.
“I’ve raced against some of the best people in the world in karts, British F3 and GT – I’ve won in pretty much every championship I’ve done but I haven’t been able to do it in touring cars.
“Coming back here, I’ve had an absolute blast, but this is where I’m at.”

Basically sounds like he can't handle losing. Off to join Oliphant in Australia, slowly becoming a BTCC retirement home!
Old 10 Oct 2022, 10:06 (Ref:4129667)   #375
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Collard via Autosport:

"But the sport’s changing a lot – there’s a reason why people like Jason [Plato] are retiring.
“I’ve raced against some of the best people in the world in karts, British F3 and GT – I’ve won in pretty much every championship I’ve done but I haven’t been able to do it in touring cars.
“Coming back here, I’ve had an absolute blast, but this is where I’m at.”

Basically sounds like he can't handle losing. Off to join Oliphant in Australia, slowly becoming a BTCC retirement home!
Yeah interesting to know what he's getting at. I think we all know what the BTCC is nowadays but there is still some top drivers out there who will take some beating. Sutton and Ingram would have been salaried drivers back in the ST days, no doubt about it. You don't just turn up and win against drivers like that as Collard seems to think he should be able to do.

It may no longer be a manufacturer driven series with good looking drivers on massive wages but it's far from purely a Gentleman's pursuit for people who want to dot around and have a nice Sunday and as long as the car isn't scratched they don't care where they finish