Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Oct 2003, 00:04 (Ref:741446)   #1
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
miami attendance

i was watching the race, and whenever thay showed arial views, the stands were pretty empty. did the elton john concert bring anybody or what. i just saw green stands with some dabs of white t- shirts
Old 6 Oct 2003, 00:58 (Ref:741463)   #2
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller said it was a whopping 25k.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:43 (Ref:742414)   #3
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not doubting the attendance figures, but after the green drops people start to mill around the track and that sometimes causes the grandstand to look particularly empty. That's why a bid crowd at an oval looks big the entire race, there is no where to go.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 22:31 (Ref:746780)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth...
Miami Attendance Release

IMO attendance was mild but the hotel numbers speak volumes on why a city may want to host a race.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 14:24 (Ref:747256)   #5
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there and it definitely doesn't have the LBGP atmosphere at all due to the viewing locations and paddock area's, especially ALMS. Anyway it was a decent attendance for its second race in Miami, I think. Bayside Market Place was nice to have adjacent to the track. Sunday was the only day that I really had a chance to walk around the track and see the grounds. I wasn't impressed at all with viewing the race! The track layout was pretty cool but very tight at turns 7-9. Also the humidity didn't help one bit!

Unlike LBGP there wasn't a decent place to watch the race, grandstands or general admissions. I had access to go pretty much where I pleased. Turn 1 was decent for about 10 laps. Turn 13, "the bump", was cool to see by grandstand 4. Turn 11, was best to see from the streets, w/o purchasing a ticket. That was also the entrance to the pits/track for all non CART series competitors! I think the best view of the track was from the many hotels surrounding the track, also from the monorail/station and streets.

Basically I'd enjoyed the race more on CBS from the hotel room, which was the worst tape delay race I've ever saw in my life! All in all I'm still glad I was there but Miami GP has a long way to go before it can bring in the 150K plus crowds like a la LBGP.

Suggestions:
Get rid of the suites and place grandstands at the back of the track, turns 2-5 and somewhere around 6 if they can, and make the infield accessible to general admissions to walk around and see the most of the track, a la LBGP! And change the darn date of the event!

Sorry if I sound bias towards LBGP!

California is the state you love to hate!