Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3153461)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cosworth for sale

I have just found that Cosworth is for sale

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103495

Who currently owns it, I seem to remember Kevin Kalkolavin bought it a few years back but does he still own tthe racing engine side of the business.

I would imigine it has significant spares business with all the engines it has made over the years but other than F1 I am unaware of any other current racing engines they build.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3153616)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They currently do lots of stuff for the aero industry, apparently. They are mainly consultants for other companies and projects.

Not sure where this leaves their turbo engine?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3153629)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Sad news...
Old 18 Oct 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3153634)   #4
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they pick up the pieces and keep going. One of the great names in both motorsport and the automotive industry.

All the talk of the UK car industry doing well the past 12-18 months and yet Lotus and Cosworth still struggle. Pipe dream for Fernandes to step in and push the company forward as er his plans for Caterham
Old 18 Oct 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3153638)   #5
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read other articles saying that Rolls Royce is interested in buying Cosworth. Most likely becasue, Cosworth has moved into the aerospace industry with Rolls Royce.

But don't BMW owns Rolls Royce?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3153646)   #6
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am pretty sure the automotive division is far divorced from the aviation division
Old 18 Oct 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3153690)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
From coverage of the ALMS race at VIR, Cosworth does development work on the Lotus Evora GTE engine; I'm sure there's a fair bit of other stuff they do as well in the automotive/racing sector.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:04 (Ref:3153708)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
From my experience, Cosworth is just the name, they have very little connection nowadays with the 'Real Cosworth'.
They offer very little back-up in the way of spares, and what they do have is nothing like the original quality, plus they've even diversified into making (or possibly just branding) brake pads!
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:30 (Ref:3153713)   #9
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though they maintain that they are still on track for their 2014 engine, I wouldn't be surprised if Marussia have Merc engines and HRT have Ferrari engines in 2014.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3153716)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps His Ronness should poke it with a stick and see if he can secure the plarform for a McLaren powerplant in 2014
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3153720)   #11
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Who currently owns it, I seem to remember Kevin Kalkolavin bought it a few years back but does he still own tthe racing engine side of the business.
Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkoveen, I belive.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3153753)   #12
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the last 18 months or so I have seen a number of Cosworth articles in The Times and other broadsheets which have shown that as a buisness, they have had a couple of record sales years recently. It looks like the business is doing well, just that the current owners are looking to move on after buying from Ford. I suspect the time is right to sell as the current owners can get a very good return on their investment.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3153980)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
McLaren picking it up might not be a bad idea. They would have a well-known name to power their road cars at least, and possibly their race cars. Mercedes is tentative about continuing as a full works program once the new engine package comes in, and with that being the case, I'm not sure that I would assume they will stick around as an engine supplier.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3154128)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
McLaren picking it up might not be a bad idea. They would have a well-known name to power their road cars at least, and possibly their race cars. Mercedes is tentative about continuing as a full works program once the new engine package comes in, and with that being the case, I'm not sure that I would assume they will stick around as an engine supplier.
Then why the dickens is Lewis going to Mercedes ?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3154130)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Then why the dickens is Lewis going to Mercedes ?
That's a very good question.

Actually, what I think is meant is that Mercedes, as a brand name, may not continue in F1. However, If their engines are successful, then they're likely to stick around with those for quite a while.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3154139)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's a very good question.

Actually, what I think is meant is that Mercedes, as a brand name, may not continue in F1. However, If their engines are successful, then they're likely to stick around with those for quite a while.
Are you for hire...

I am sure we can make a deal as my personal advisor here at the radio station...
Old 22 Oct 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3155892)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
From my experience, Cosworth is just the name, they have very little connection nowadays with the 'Real Cosworth'.
They offer very little back-up in the way of spares, and what they do have is nothing like the original quality, plus they've even diversified into making (or possibly just branding) brake pads!
I think you'll find they do a bit more than making or branding brake pads. You might want to check this out.

http://www.cosworth.com/