Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3098161)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Which country (or city) needs international racing the most?

Denmark, Finland, Argentina, Indonesia, Chile, South Africa, New Zealand... SWITZERLAND?!

I can't believe that Switzerland, in between France, Germany, Italy, and Austria, has no Formula 1 or international race at all. What do you think about this?

Also, since the FIA obviously are fond of strange places to put race tracks, why not Indonesia? In close proximity to Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, India, China... all places they like to put race tracks.

Finally, what about a really good, FIA grade 1, internationally-oriented circuit in Scandinavia. The fan base is certainly there, and so are the facilities. So what is stopping them?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:49 (Ref:3098163)   #2
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing has been outlawed in Switzerland for a while now, no?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3098168)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly ! No races there.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 02:51 (Ref:3098171)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with a couple of past champions and current drivers a race (and a track to go with it) in Helsinki would be very cool.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3098172)   #5
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
racing has been outlawed in Switzerland for a while now, no?
Wasn't that because of the 1955 crash @ Le Mans that Switzerland banned racing.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3098176)   #6
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Marshal View Post
Wasn't that because of the 1955 crash @ Le Mans that Switzerland banned racing.
that's what I thought

BTW... there is an F1 track in Indonesia, in fact Asian Le Mans series might be using it soonly

And... New Zealand has an A1 track that is a fantastic facility though probably too flat, another one is in the process of being built
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3098222)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been well discussed here already I think.Where the races go all a question of finance.
Swiss government banned 'motor racing' in 1956.This is generally blamed on LeMans accident of 1955,but accident in Geneva a couple of years before had something to do with it I think.Ban also included bike racing but hill climbs sprints & slaloms are OK.Swiss GP was held in Hockenheim(Germany) for sports cars in the 60s.Dijon(France)for F1 in 1972 & 82.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3098235)   #8
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that's what I thought

BTW... there is an F1 track in Indonesia, in fact Asian Le Mans series might be using it soonly

And... New Zealand has an A1 track that is a fantastic facility though probably too flat, another one is in the process of being built
Hampton Downs was built to be upgradable to F1 standard.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3098240)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in Birkenhead, overlooking the Liverpool skyline across the Mersey..

Glasgow Docklands - currently a building site anyway.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3098248)   #10
calloforion
Rookie

England
London
calloforion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix of Norwich? Round the ring road? Ok how about the Smoggy Grand Prix held in the historic city of Middlesbrough.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3098250)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, Glasgow, the Clyde Tunnel. Think AVUS, but underground. Down one end, loop round at Anniesland, back down the other end, past the McD's, loop back round at Govan and back into the tunnel.

Bulletproof.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3098253)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Two laps of the M25, although it might take several days.

Re Switzerland... didn't they vote to lift the ban four or five years ago? I seem to recall there being a vote which was close but in favour of lifting it. I wonder what happened afterwards?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3098295)   #13
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calloforion View Post
Grand Prix of Norwich? Round the ring road? Ok how about the Smoggy Grand Prix held in the historic city of Middlesbrough.

Get Alan Partridge on the case straight away.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3098296)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
HAHA You can imagine him doing the commentary for the on-board, and the grid walk..... LOL

Selby
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3098304)   #15
knowyourenemy
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
knowyourenemy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought Finland would have a race - we have a few Finnish drivers in F1 just now, one being a world champion.

I know there's a huge rallying scene there, where this would transfer over in to F1 would remain to be seen.

France should have something i think, i love to see F1 cars at Le Mans (not the full circuit...although that could be interesting!)
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3098306)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
New Zealand doesn't have enough money to fill up Bernies jet with gas,let alone hold an F1 race on a track we haven't got.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3098311)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The Swiss ban is still there. They where on the verge of lifting it until their senate threw it out in '09.

What country 'needs' a GP? France and at a decent price!

At the moment no country 'needs' a GP. Given the ransom Bernie charges it's a burden.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3098319)   #18
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
with a couple of past champions and current drivers a race (and a track to go with it) in Helsinki would be very cool.
Quite literally

Quote:
that's what I thought
New Zealand has an A1 track that is a fantastic facility...
Yea, I remember seeing hundreds and hundreds of people in the grand stands there
Old 26 Jun 2012, 16:15 (Ref:3098492)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
New Zealand doesn't have enough money to fill up Bernies jet with gas,let alone hold an F1 race on a track we haven't got.
What has happened to New Zealand since the 60s when they had what amounted to a 4 race 'F1' series-the likes of Moss,Clark,Surtees,Brabham,McLaren,Hulme,Graham Hill & Stewart took part?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3098499)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they've still got a couple of seriously good young drivers in the single seater system at the moment. for a small population that's pretty impressive, they're just not daft enough to try and hold the events themselves.

if you're a private investor what's better - fund a very talented young driver or be a small contribution towards bringing the f1 circus to your not-huge country?
Old 27 Jun 2012, 03:04 (Ref:3098770)   #21
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering their history, I had always wondered why Finaland has never had a GP. I've never even heard news of it possibly happening.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3098778)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
France and a Scandinavian race would be nice. Not sure where but I have been looking for an excuse to go to Oslo.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3098852)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Norway has never held a car race of any kind,unless anyone knows better.
Finland had F2 around 1967 and F3000 once in 80s.on street circuit in Helsinki.Never been myself,just watching European athletic championships reminded me I was booked to go in 1994 when I had to cancel when my stepmother died the night before I was due to fly.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3098870)   #24
calloforion
Rookie

England
London
calloforion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Norway has never held a car race of any kind,unless anyone knows better.
Norway has sporodically hosted rounds of the STCC at the Arctic Circle Raceway and Valer, however I am really not sure if the country has hosted anything bigger.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3098871)   #25
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What has happened to New Zealand since the 60s when they had what amounted to a 4 race 'F1' series-the likes of Moss,Clark,Surtees,Brabham,McLaren,Hulme,Graham Hill & Stewart took part?

Moss,Clark,Surtees,Brabham,McLaren,Hulme,Graham Hill & Stewart used to race for a couple of hundred dollars and a bottle of champagne.
Can't see Vettell and co travelling in a Transit van and staying at the camping ground next to the track.
Plus I think most Kiwis would rather go to the V8 Supercars,V8's are everything F1 isnt,Live F1 is on TV in the early hours of the morning,the drivers are mainly spoiled rich *****,and if you go to a race your ripped off blind to get in,you can't see much.and the racing is pretty boring.