barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I have my opinion...

This is just racing and that's the way it goes.
Exactly. Fangio often found himself in the best machinery. So did Clark (when it held together). So did Schumacher in the Ferrari years.

There are occasions when a driver doesn't win in the best car (Prost '86, Stewart in the Tyrrells etc.), but getting yourself into the best car/team has always been part of motor racing and always will be. Any of the drivers listed wouldn't have won if they had been in back-of-the-grid machinery. Though Clark did once

Tom Kristensen is a Le Mans legend, yet a lot of his wins came at a time when he was driving dominant Audi machinery. The same could be said of Ickx at Porsche.

The fact that Vettel is on course to achieve 27 wins from 99 races (the same win% as Stewart) suggests he is up there with the greats. The wins percentage is a statistic that is often forgotten these days, as drivers rack up wins more often thanks to the huge race schedule.

To go slightly off topic, here is a quick table of 'top' drivers over the last 60 years including their win percentage:
NameWinsStartsWin%
Juan Manual Fangio245147.06
Alberto Ascari133240.63
Jim Clark257234.72
Michael Schumacher9130429.93
Jackie Stewart279927.27
Sebastian Vettel269826.53
Alain Prost5119925.63
Ayrton Senna4116125.47
Stirling Moss166624.24
Damon Hill2211519.13
Lewis Hamilton2010718.69
Fernando Alonso3019315.54
Niki Lauda2517114.62
Mika Hakkinen2016112.42
Nelson Piquet2320411.27
Jack Brabham1412611.11
Kimi Raikkonen1817310.40
Emerson Fittipaldi141449.72
Mario Andretti121289.38

Last edited by barnettracing; 28 Oct 2012 at 17:24. Reason: Added Stirling Moss to table.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3159376)   #27
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnickFTW View Post
It's good to have it confirmed then. Your comments certainly seem to hold some water (or at least some Austrialian Sour-Grape Juice )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Oh yer that's right, Webber's the best out there
What, the two of you think I'm a fan of that goose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Ask yourself this, how much of the Torro Rosso win was down to having a full wet setup? Looking at pictures the rear wing is much larger than anything Mclaren or Ferrari ran in Qualifying or the race. It was a great drive in horrible conditions im not denying that but that one victory whilst being impressive is does not mean he is a "godlike" driver.
Hmm, I never considered this at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Of course Vettel is a fantastic driver, just look at the way he constantly sets fastest laps during a GP and can turn the one lap pace on instantly at any point during a weekend. When he wins the title it will be well deserved because hes still had to drive the car, its not as if Newey is driving it as well as designing it.
How about that for a new rule. If Adrian Newey designs a car, he has to drive it?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3159415)   #28
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the basis this thread is for driver bashing, I'll join in.

I'll never understand why so many people rate Hamilton so highly. You say Vettel has only won in the best car. Well so has Hamilton! He's only been with McLaren since he joined the sport, and STILL only won one title. Most years he can't go through a season without choking or doing/saying something dumb, and he's not a "great" at all in my opinion. Once he moves to Mercedes will this smoke screen of him being one of the best in F1 will fade, and we'll see how poor he actually is compared to Vettel and Alonso.

Still, he's so obsessed with his "celebrity lifestyle" that he probably won't care...he'll be happy to hang out with all his black rapper friends and generally make a tit out of himself once again. Not to mention he's on his way to becoming the next Jacques Villeneuve, very good in his first year, wins the title in his second year, and is distinctly average from then on.

Phew, that was fun.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3159420)   #29
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
All i know is that i have fallen asleep during the last 2 GP's.

Either i am slowly turning into my father, or they were just really dull.

Red Bull's current form just makes the championship a foregone conclusion.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3159422)   #30
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
All i know is that i have fallen asleep during the last 2 GP's.

Either i am slowly turning into my father, or they were just really dull.

Red Bull's current form just makes the championship a foregone conclusion.
Until somebody takes a big out braking go at the second corner in Abu Dhabi takes out Vettel and Alonso wins, or there's another alternator failure.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3159433)   #31
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Well yeah. Alonso can only 'luck-in' on the championship now. No way can they 'take it'.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3159506)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well yeah. Alonso can only 'luck-in' on the championship now. No way can they 'take it'.
With 3 races to go and the gap between them, I still say that anything is possible... Teflonso is a hell of a driver and is always fighting until the end.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3159563)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I have sold my ticket to our Grand Prix, what's the point................
There must have been a 'point' to the 1988 season?

*Jeremy checks avatar*

It's Vettel vs Alonso, and they're in two different cars.

F1 has just become very 'bad' for some.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3159575)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I have sold my ticket to our Grand Prix, what's the point................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There must have been a 'point' to the 1988 season?

*Jeremy checks avatar*
I assume/hope that Jeremy was actually joking !
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3159578)   #35
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I was just joking guys, all in all its been a great season IMHO...
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3159580)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Quote:
With 3 races to go and the gap between them, I still say that anything is possible... Teflonso is a hell of a driver and is always fighting until the end.
Totally !
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3159610)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I assumed/hoped that he was doing that too. Why on earth would he want to sell his ticket.

Yes, the competition has effectively been narrowed down to just two drivers. Nothing new about that.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3159626)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Nothing new about that.
nothing new with that or nothing wrong with it either imo.

expectations have been raised to high. its old ground but part of that is the fault of the rules and the expectation that each and every GP should be the greatest thing ever.

tbh, im actually surprised more people dont agree with the original poster.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3159632)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

tbh, im actually surprised more people dont agree with the original poster.
Who really knows who is the best driver? It's all very subjective. It could be Perez or Hulkenburg for all that anyone really knows.

F1 is all about the circumstances as they are at the time. Hamilton, for example, isn't driving a RedBull because he committed himself to other things early in his career.

Circumstances are what win and lose F1 titles.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3159641)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sorry i meant more about his comment about how anti climactic the title challenge has become not necessarily the fact that he is just not a fan of (or rates) who is currently winning.

do agree that the 'who is the best' is very subjective.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3159663)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
We would all like for it to go to Brazil with six drivers standing a reasonable chance of claiming the championship. But I'll go back to my 1988 example where there were only ever two contenders for the title from the first race onwards! That's just how it can be and how it could be again, particularly from 2014 onwards.

It is what it is.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3159667)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
It is what it is.
agreed. Marbot you have to remember im the guy who holds a minority opinion in that i dont mind processional races or a forgone conclusion of who the winner is because for me there is inherent value when one team gets things so very right.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3159676)   #43
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You never know when Grosjean will qualify third or Maldonado has a spasm as he is being lapped.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3160180)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As Sebastian proved in 2010, it's never over till its over, same with Kimi in 2007. It could all turn around for Fernando and he won't ever give up while there is still a chance.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3160255)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
agreed. Marbot you have to remember im the guy who holds a minority opinion in that i dont mind processional races or a forgone conclusion of who the winner is because for me there is inherent value when one team gets things so very right.
One man's meat........

And you never know - Vettel could just have some less innocuous sparks from his RB.... Let's wait until the fat lady sings..... I refuse to give up hope of a decent finish to the season.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 21:57 (Ref:3160322)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
One man's meat........

And you never know - Vettel could just have some less innocuous sparks from his RB.... Let's wait until the fat lady sings..... I refuse to give up hope of a decent finish to the season.
Absolutely.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3160353)   #47
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Who really knows who is the best driver? It's all very subjective. It could be Perez or Hulkenburg for all that anyone really knows.

F1 is all about the circumstances as they are at the time. Hamilton, for example, isn't driving a RedBull because he committed himself to other things early in his career.

Circumstances are what win and lose F1 titles.
Aint this the truth!
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3161290)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I do wish people would stop giving Vettel crap and just chocking it up to it only being the car.
With the title slipping away from their darling, Spanish media are now doing this of course, with the word Vettel substituted by Newey now. Pretty funny and the mark of a poor loser.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3161292)   #49
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
With the title slipping away from their darling, Spanish media are now doing this of course, with the word Vettel substituted by Newey now. Pretty funny and the mark of a poor loser.
Wonder how much Ferrari are offering Newey to join them!

Clean out the Vatican and let him move in?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3161306)   #50
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I gather, Newey is happy enough in England and sees through the myth of Ferrari enough not to want to head there.