• Jenson Button in 2023
  • Fernando Alonso in 2024
  • Christian Klien in 2026
  • Robert Kubica in 2028
  • Sebastian Vettel in 2030
  • Sebastien Buemi in 2031
  • Daniel Ricciardo in 2032
  • Sergio Perez in 2033

The only three drivers who have set a pole in a F1 World Championship race after the age of 43 are:
  • Jack Brabham(last pole at 44 - Jarama 1970)
  • Juan-Manuel Fangio(last at 46 - Buenos Aires 1958)
  • Giuseppe Farina(last at 47 - Buenos Aires 1954)

The only four drivers who have won a F1 World Championship race after the age of 43 are:
  • Piero Taruffi(last and only win at 45 - Bremgarten 1952)
  • Juan-Manuel Fangio(last at 46 - Nurburgring 1957)
  • Giuseppe Farina(last at 46 - Nurburgring 1953)
  • Luigi Fagioli(last and only at 53 - Reims 1951)

The only driver who has won an F1 World Championship after the age of 43 is:
  • Juan-Manuel Fangio(1955 at 44, 1956 at 45, 1957 at 46)
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3160620)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aaaahnnn ???

Monaco ? When ? Isn't he retiring at the end of the season ?

I'm not sure what you mean...
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3160621)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
He means TGF's achievement at this years Monaco GP and comparing it to others.

Personally, i think they are some cool stats that put some nice perspective on it.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3160622)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was an impressive lap but does he still get credit for it due to the grid penalty?

however those are some interesting numbers. its crazy to think Perez and others could potentially be racing F1 into the 2030's.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3160624)   #5
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It shows how physically fit MS is for his age. But it's no point comparing drivers from other eras; we all know that doesn't work.

The physical requirements for a driver today are far different from those in Fangio's day. In addition, many drivers from every decade had less chance to progress in F1 because of all sorts of reasons, not least sponsorship. So they never had the chance to "hang around".

Still, it might be a while before we get anyone else in F1 who can achieve that in his 40s.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3160625)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was no "pole" for him at Monaco and that's what will go down at the stats for all that is official.

Too much TGF to my taste...
Old 31 Oct 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3160626)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On his repêchage, he may be past his prime, but to be able to compete with the world's best, in contemporary F1 cars, aged 43 is a truly stupendous achievement. That he managed a pole at Monaco this year was incredible. You've got to wonder what he might have been able to accomplish through the rest of the season had the Merc been any good.

Nicanary is right... you can't really compare drivers across era... in particular those from the 1950s/1960s where driving racing cars was a 'sport' confined to the uber rich only... and in most case they weren't a picture of good health or fitness either.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3160646)   #8
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
On his repêchage, he may be past his prime, but to be able to compete with the world's best, in contemporary F1 cars, aged 43 is a truly stupendous achievement. That he managed a pole at Monaco this year was incredible. You've got to wonder what he might have been able to accomplish through the rest of the season had the Merc been any good.

Nicanary is right... you can't really compare drivers across era... in particular those from the 1950s/1960s where driving racing cars was a 'sport' confined to the uber rich only... and in most case they weren't a picture of good health or fitness either.
Not sure about that at all. Fangio, Clark and Stewart to name three came from pretty ordinary backgrounds and would have a lot less money thrown at them than many of todays drivers who are backed by large corporations from a young age. In addition although G forces were lower in days gone by the races were longer and the cars very physical to drive on bumpy and dusty circuits. Drivers fitness would be different because there wouldn't have been sports scientists and personal trainers to advise, but they still had to be in decent physical shape to be competitive.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3160754)   #9
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Drivers these days also start much younger, so it's even harder to compare to the 50's when they were all old geezers like Fangio and Farina. Wasn't Schumacher, at the time, the youngest ever F1 champ in 1994? Probably lost that record to Vettel I'd think.

It makes the stat even more impressive. And Vettel taking pole in 2030? Damn that's 18 years away!!! If he keeps racking up the poles for another 18 years, he'll be well into triple digits.

I think there's very few drivers that could have a career as long as Schumacher. You have to have quite a good resume, probably at least a world champion.

Oh and it doesn't matter if the pole wasn't official. He set still set the fastest time, and it was a legitimate fastest time. Probably only Vettel was the only driver that didn't get what he should have out of his lap. The rest simply weren't able to match Michael's lap. It's the accomplishment that counts.

Actually, thinking back, watching Schumacher's split times and eventually pole lap is probably the highlight of the season for me.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3160772)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Drivers these days also start much younger, so it's even harder to compare to the 50's when they were all old geezers like Fangio and Farina. Wasn't Schumacher, at the time, the youngest ever F1 champ in 1994? Probably lost that record to Vettel I'd think.

It makes the stat even more impressive. And Vettel taking pole in 2030? Damn that's 18 years away!!! If he keeps racking up the poles for another 18 years, he'll be well into triple digits.

I think there's very few drivers that could have a career as long as Schumacher. You have to have quite a good resume, probably at least a world champion.

Oh and it doesn't matter if the pole wasn't official. He set still set the fastest time, and it was a legitimate fastest time. Probably only Vettel was the only driver that didn't get what he should have out of his lap. The rest simply weren't able to match Michael's lap. It's the accomplishment that counts.

Actually, thinking back, watching Schumacher's split times and eventually pole lap is probably the highlight of the season for me.
Schumacher's pole is the highlight of 2012 for me too.

The qualifying times should stand at the pre-penalty positions for record purposes, the grid is the grid and those are the starting positions, should also show penalties.

Seb in 2030! That is scary!

Thanks W.A Trichlorostyrene - interesting context.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3160775)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Unless I've missed your meaning, some of those dates are a bit off.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3160778)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike Thackwell in 2004! thats fun.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3160781)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Which ones?

Even so, a very thought-inspiring post indeed
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:07 (Ref:3160872)   #14
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, considering expectations were a lot higher, after joining the defending champs. One meaningless pole, is another stat people can fawn, unnecessarily, over Schumacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A Trichlorostyrene View Post
Alain Prost in 1998
Never mind some flimsy pole position. Taking into account how the 98 season turned out, Prost would've won the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A Trichlorostyrene View Post
Mark Webber in 2020
Considering how silly Red Bull are, continuing to offer him single year contracts, this may actually happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Not sure about that at all. Fangio, Clark and Stewart to name three came from pretty ordinary backgrounds and would have a lot less money thrown at them than many of todays drivers who are backed by large corporations from a young age..
From what I know about their backgrounds. Had these drivers become the corporate products typical of today, I suspect it would've stymied their driving development.

Quote:

It makes the stat even more impressive.
Emmo was the youngest til Alonso came along. So no, not that impressive.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3160952)   #15
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it was an impressive lap but does he still get credit for it due to the grid penalty?
He doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
It shows how physically fit MS is for his age. But it's no point comparing drivers from other eras; we all know that doesn't work.

The physical requirements for a driver today are far different from those in Fangio's day. In addition, many drivers from every decade had less chance to progress in F1 because of all sorts of reasons, not least sponsorship. So they never had the chance to "hang around".

Still, it might be a while before we get anyone else in F1 who can achieve that in his 40s.
Well said.

Quote:
I think in some cases it might be - or + 1 year, I didn't try to be very precise.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3160987)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Well, considering expectations were a lot higher, after joining the defending champs. One meaningless pole, is another stat people can fawn, unnecessarily, over Schumacher.

Never mind some flimsy pole position. Taking into account how the 98 season turned out, Prost would've won the title.
Considering how silly Red Bull are, continuing to offer him single year contracts, this may actually happen.

LOL!

From what I know about their backgrounds. Had these drivers become the corporate products typical of today, I suspect it would've stymied their driving development.

Emmo was the youngest til Alonso came along. So no, not that impressive.
This sounds like the written equivalent of constipation
Old 1 Nov 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3160989)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
At the risk of "fawning," it was an interesting comparison. No one gets credit for a race win simply because they got the pole (and this one does not count due to the penalty), but it certainly shows that Michael still has the speed. Considering the level of competition against which he set fast lap I think it is an impressive achievement.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3161007)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Kind of ironic though that the only real bit of brilliance Michael has shown in the past 3 seasons is in a session that it was known beforehand that he'd be penalised.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3161040)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Stirling Moss taking a pole in 1972 is food for thought too.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3161062)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Kind of ironic though that the only real bit of brilliance Michael has shown in the past 3 seasons is in a session that it was known beforehand that he'd be penalised.
With anyone else it would be tragic.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3161089)   #21
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The qualifying times should stand at the pre-penalty positions for record purposes, the grid is the grid and those are the starting positions, should also show penalties.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Seb in 2030! That is scary!
Quote:
And Vettel taking pole in 2030? Damn that's 18 years away!!! If he keeps racking up the poles for another 18 years, he'll be well into triple digits.
Considering that he is already 3rd in the all-time stats, with 36, this is very scary indeed.

Granted, today's 20 GP seasons makes it much easier to crank up the stats.

Quote:
Stirling Moss taking a pole in 1972 is food for thought too.
That would have been quite remarkable.

Actually, Sir Jack Brabham comes relatively close to this, fighting regularly for wins in 1970 at 44, 15 years after his part-time debut.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3161163)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I haven't seen this anywhere officially yet, but a reliable source on Twitter reports that Mercedes are going to present Schumi with the car with which he set 'pole' position at Monaco when he retires at the end of the season. I'm not one of his fans, but it would be a nice gesture.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3161167)   #23
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I haven't seen this anywhere officially yet, but a reliable source on Twitter reports that Mercedes are going to present Schumi with the car with which he set 'pole' position at Monaco when he retires at the end of the season. I'm not one of his fans, but it would be a nice gesture.
I have seen it here

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...farewell-gift/
Old 1 Nov 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3161226)   #24
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I usually don´t post that much here, but i keep an eye on you, people

Just wanted to say I am enjoying this thread and the discussion it promotes, and the fact that everyone is defending their opinions with humour, education and respect makes it better. Perhaps we can all learn from this one!
Thanks guys!

And, ok, my opinion on this: I am sure that, with a better car, TGF would have won this year, at 43. Why has he stayed for so long when other champions retired earlier and never went back? In my opinion: Hunger. He could have retired in 2002 with 5 WDC, or in 2003 with 6, beating Fangio. But he went on to male it 7, and wanted more! Did everyone that appears on the first post´s list had it? i do not think.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3161235)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
1:43 scale, presumably......