Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Jan 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1213312)   #1
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modified ranks

I was looking to rebuild my stockhatch but with the current uncertinty and a slight change in curcumctances was wondering if a modified (not super modified) would be a better bet. I am wondering will there be any more stability in modified, is there a future for this formula and are there any changes to the regs for this/next year. My other options are go the rally route but love the rallycross format so really want to stick with it. I would prefer to stay with BRDA/BTRDA for imediate future with limited RSS races in near future. Just wondering what peoples thoughts where really before I make any firm commitments. I have nothing against stock hatch and the racing is great but want to race differant machinery which stock hatch will not open the regs to. All opinions welcome, even mad ramblings and winges.
Thanks for your thoughts
Carl
Old 30 Jan 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1213317)   #2
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only thing that would worry me is the fact that there are only 24 places for super modified / modified at the BRxC rounds, and this is the one class I'm fairly confident will fill it's allocation.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1213588)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm not so sure the allocation will get filled, last year the entries in modified/super modified didn't hit those levels did they?

The problem with modified at the moment is that there aren't enough cars so you won't always get a decent race (the super mods will blow your doors off). Of course this is a catch 22 situation - if you don't build cars for the class the racing won't improve but people may not build cars for the class until the racing does improve.

Also if you rebuild to modified spec is the car still eligible for the RSS? I guess it would be but you'd be running as a 'supernational' which would put you in the same class as the supermodifieds (I'm not 100% about this though). Sticking with stock hatch would at least give you a level playing field in the BRDA/BTRDA/MDA/RSS.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1213619)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were 18 at some events, that only leaves 6 places, and with the supposed cars being built it may get fuller. I think there were 12 supercars that only leaves 4 places there. I think considering entry fees etc the class with the most spare places will be stockhatch.

Last edited by silver bullet; 31 Jan 2005 at 09:51.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1213900)   #5
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
modifed class had only 2 entrees last season and i was 1 !!!! gary dixon in his astra the other . , i am not sure of how many mods are in the class but if you biuld to class regs then you will get a race , they cant stop you from racing in the mod class just cause of the low numbers .
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1213966)   #6
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely building a Div 1A or 2 is the way to go now, dosent have to be expensive, a wide selection of potential cars, plus the option of racing in europe. A car that would be eligable for every current rallycross event. You know it makes sense.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1213983)   #7
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie
Surely building a Div 1A or 2 is the way to go now, dosent have to be expensive, a wide selection of potential cars, plus the option of racing in europe. A car that would be eligable for every current rallycross event. You know it makes sense.
I had trouble making sense of the word Homologation. Never mind building a car that meets all the Rules and regs that go along with them.

As said before you can build a Div1a or 2 car for cheap but equally you can spend alot.

It's like saying you could go into Modified Cheaply by just entering your stock hatch into it. You could but you would be on a hiding to noting against everybody else in the Class.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1214006)   #8
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...I reckon Div. 2 might be better option in the long run. Top Euro championship cars will cost £30k, but you should be able to build / buy something reasonable for less than £10k to compete in the UK. And you've always got the option of European rounds or other European domestic championships if you've the budget / fancy a holiday. If RSS succeeds (who knows?) it may be easier to get sponsorship for these cars too...

Guess it depends also on how much you want to win. Spend £10k on a stock hatch and you should (!) have the most modern / competitive car on the grid for a while. Spend £10k on a Div 2 and you'll probably be struggling in twelve months when (if the RSS is successful) more new machinery appears.

Having said that if both BRDA / RSS push Div. 2 at least you know they'll be a ready market for your old car when you want to upgrade...
Old 31 Jan 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1214083)   #9
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or you could take my root , hunt the ebay , motoring news and start gathering the bits it can be done, i do it might not be comepetive all the time but i have my moments too , and i can i ashore when you do , it puts a smile on your face ,
so yeah if you got 10k burning a hole in your pocket fine , but if you aint and you want too start gathering , it really can be done for not that much if your pateint