Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3841246)   #151
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are both great drivers and either would be capable of winning the world championship given the right car.I hate to see blind patriotism cloud people's judgement and this is what happens here.
A more reasoned analysis would be last year's Autocourse rankings where they were ranked 2 and 3 behind Hamilton(Verstappen 2nd).
Old 3 Aug 2018, 23:21 (Ref:3841247)   #152
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Combination of things I expect. Uncertainty about the Honda engine but I expect RBR were playing hard ball over salary etc as they knew how limited his options were. Given the way Webber was treated when up against a Red Bull "golden child" I expect Daniel could see the writing on the wall.

Renault is probably the best of what is left and perhaps a better bet for the next two years than Red Bull but the direction their personnel structure is heading would concern me as the "no top dog" structures just don't seem to work in F1.
yeah this. no point when your team thinks you're mark webber. have some dignity and move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
I think this is a good move. He's outclassed by Verstappen and next year is gonna be a disaster with the Honda engine. There is every chance Renault might be able to beat Red Bull next year.
god i hate verstappen fans. if there's one thing motorsport needs to get rid of then closely behind pay driver spam it's kids with the right daddies who can throw down a searing hot lap but have no idea what they're doing on a race track.

at least pay drivers can keep a midfield or struggling team financially stable.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3841249)   #153
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Stepping away from the nyah nyah a moment:

Max clearly has ludicrous speed but his racecraft is questionable, which in theory will improve with experience.

Daniel also has ludicrous speed, but the experience he has means his racecraft is better in that he's less likely to do something dumb.

The problem with doing something dumb is that it relies upon people with decent racecraft around you, and a realisation by all parties that you're all playing the long game.

Max doesn't seem to realise that latter piece.

Yet. He'll be genuinely brilliant if he ever does.
Watch his onboard from the Hockenheim start.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3841255)   #154
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Exactly a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVVBTR9wys

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40770481

Same senseless driving as Vettel this year, in exactly the same corner. Verstappen and Vettel should drive for the same team. Hopefully Ferrari. They both have the same temperament in the car, and use exactly the same language when things don't go well. Champion behaviour that.

As for Verstappen's team-mate for 2019, Sainz has it in his contract that if he was to return to the Red Bull family, it has to be for a seat in the senior team only. And as Sainz and Verstappen don't get along, I can't see Sainz at RBR (was always Marko's intention anyway). Because the 'golden boy' has Horner and Marko licking a nut each to keep him happy.

Gasly and Verstappen won't be the best combination set up, engineering and experience wise. So hopefully, that is the way RBR go. Happy to see RBR slip down the order next season. Now that Ricciardo won't be there, I have no reason to support them. Horner's constant whinging, and Marko's constant blaming was overwhelming, and I am so happy to see Ricciardo at Renault. Can't wait to for the RBR vs Renault battle in 2019. It should be a good one.

Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3841256)   #155
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I thought they were going to sign Webber.
Yeah, I suppose but it didn't work out.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3841266)   #156
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Which would you rather be?

The number 2 driver at a 3rd place team that has lost its way a little and is giving its best equipment and grouping itself around the other bloke.

Or the number 1 at a slightly worse team that is on the rise and will make you their focus?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:09 (Ref:3841277)   #157
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Even going to the Renault works team would be a better bet.
Well whaddya know. Old Dan obviously saw my post and took the plunge.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 03:16 (Ref:3841284)   #158
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Stepping away from the nyah nyah a moment:

Max clearly has ludicrous speed but his racecraft is questionable, which in theory will improve with experience.

Daniel also has ludicrous speed, but the experience he has means his racecraft is better in that he's less likely to do something dumb.
Yes, Verstappen is a confident lad who's 20. He oozes speed and in terms of raw speed he's probably the fastest there's been for many years. But his head gets too hot and he screws up. Too much instinct, too little calculation, too little patience.

He's not a lad that gets demoralised easily and as long as he doesn't, he's got years to bed in a better temperament. In ten years he'll be DR's age and DR isn't that old.

DR's most abiding problem is dogs bad luck in terms of his career and while circa 30 is late F1 middle-age it's still tough to actually forecast how he'll get to a top team to win the WC. He needs luck and lots of it.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3841308)   #159
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Danny is someone I'd like to see challenge for the title, his personality makes him my new favourite F1 driver. And he can race hard, but cleanly. He has it in him to do the job

Max still has the speed, but after last season's bad luck which didn't seem to get him down and seemed to make him stronger, seemingly lost it with so many mistakes at the beginning of the season. His win in Austria shows he is still a great driver with a great future. His mistakes have been a bit less recently, showing he is learning
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3841367)   #160
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Video With Mr Ricciardo Here

Class Act.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Aug 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3841376)   #161
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3841393)   #162
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Ricciardo bagged a 20million (pounds!) per year agreement. Rumoured that the Hulk is only making about 4 million pounds a year
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3841396)   #163
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ricciardo is a multiple race winner. Hülkenberg’s never even seen a podium. I’d say he’s bloody lucky to be getting four million.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3841398)   #164
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Yes, Verstappen is a confident lad who's 20. He oozes speed and in terms of raw speed he's probably the fastest there's been for many years. But his head gets too hot and he screws up. Too much instinct, too little calculation, too little patience.
Meh, I think Hamilton, Vettel, ('05-'06 Raikkonen) are his equals when it comes to raw speed. Ultimately there is no real metric for who is the "fastest" but Max is definitely not average.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3841399)   #165
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Ricciardo is a multiple race winner. Hülkenberg’s never even seen a podium. I’d say he’s bloody lucky to be getting four million.
Yes I agree, Ricciardo deserves his contract fully! I just couldn't help but notice that if one driver is being paid massively more than the other, then that shows who the #1 driver in the team is intended to be....
Old 4 Aug 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3841400)   #166
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Which would you rather be?

The number 2 driver at a 3rd place team that has lost its way a little and is giving its best equipment and grouping itself around the other bloke.

Or the number 1 at a slightly worse team that is on the rise and will make you their focus?
Yep, and it is a works team, and Dan knows the Renault people.

I think it was the best move he could have made given the available options.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3841431)   #167
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This move will be interesting for both drivers. DR really needs to blow Hulk out of the water to show he can be a world champion. If he is 'only' at Hulks level, then he's effectively taken himself out of the running for a top drive again. If he's below Hulks level then his career could end pretty quickly.

For Hulk, if he doesn't match DR then his career can be considered over. For years, Hulk has been called the next big thing but he's never seen a podium before. So that charade could either come apart in a big way or be proven completely true.

Someone is going to be very disappointed next year.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3841441)   #168
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm hoping that the Hulk will have the chance (and the impetus) to raise his game. I've always thought he could get decent results in a good car.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3841445)   #169
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
As time wears on, I become less and less convinced by Hülkenberg. Yes, he’s won Le Mans, no small feat; but there have been no stand-out results in F1 (though there was that pole in Brazil) when some of his team mates have made hay. This is certainly his stiffest test to date, and maybe he’ll prove me wrong, but I think Ricciardo will best him pretty comprehensively.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3841447)   #170
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, whatever happens, it will be interesting to see.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3841450)   #171
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Exactly a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVVBTR9wys

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40770481

Same senseless driving as Vettel this year, in exactly the same corner. Verstappen and Vettel should drive for the same team. Hopefully Ferrari. They both have the same temperament in the car, and use exactly the same language when things don't go well. Champion behaviour that.

As for Verstappen's team-mate for 2019, Sainz has it in his contract that if he was to return to the Red Bull family, it has to be for a seat in the senior team only. And as Sainz and Verstappen don't get along, I can't see Sainz at RBR (was always Marko's intention anyway). Because the 'golden boy' has Horner and Marko licking a nut each to keep him happy.

Gasly and Verstappen won't be the best combination set up, engineering and experience wise. So hopefully, that is the way RBR go. Happy to see RBR slip down the order next season. Now that Ricciardo won't be there, I have no reason to support them. Horner's constant whinging, and Marko's constant blaming was overwhelming, and I am so happy to see Ricciardo at Renault. Can't wait to for the RBR vs Renault battle in 2019. It should be a good one.

Got to be Kimi the No2 at Red Bull then...
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3841451)   #172
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yep, and it is a works team, and Dan knows the Renault people.

I think it was the best move he could have made given the available options.
True. Sensible quote...And as for Hulk in F1? No...Sorry...you've had your chance..
Old 5 Aug 2018, 00:37 (Ref:3841498)   #173
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Yes I agree, Ricciardo deserves his contract fully! I just couldn't help but notice that if one driver is being paid massively more than the other, then that shows who the #1 driver in the team is intended to be....
But if you are mentally tough enough you can get over that.Look at Rosberg v Hamilton for the definitive example.
Bad decision by Dan made for all the wrong reasons.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3841505)   #174
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread understandably concentrates on Danny's driving.
I will be interested to see to see what Renault/Nissan etc can do with his outstanding marketability.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3841506)   #175
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
This thread understandably concentrates on Danny's driving.
I will be interested to see to see what Renault/Nissan etc can do with his outstanding marketability.
There is the Nissan equation. Maybe a pop at Le Mans, one day?