Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Dec 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3945870)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Commodore Gone

Commodore Gone From The Market

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:34 (Ref:3945876)   #2
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What now for 888 and the Holden teams do we think? Camaro? Split and look for other manufacturers? Seems unlikely. Sad time for Aussie car industry but probably not totally unexpected some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Dec 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3945877)   #3
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drop the costs and pray that BMW is coming.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 06:08 (Ref:3945879)   #4
V12muscleman
Rookie

V12muscleman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Drop the costs and pray that BMW is coming.
Looks like Walkinshaw’s planned move to BMW could be a stroke of genius...
Old 10 Dec 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3945888)   #5
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not many options for Holden in Supercars post 2021. Camaro is set to be discontinued at the end of 2022 and the HSV version sold here doesn't wear a Holden badge. Import and rebadge an Impala?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Dec 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3945890)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bigger question than the news today, what is going to happen to this sub forum? We ain't there yet but it is coming at high speed. I would hope the admin team have a plan in their back pocket because they must have known this would happen. If they didn't then they were the only ones on here that didn't. I guess it will just naturally wither away as we all lose interest. Pecky's view on this would be interesting to hear...
Old 10 Dec 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3945896)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12muscleman View Post
Looks like Walkinshaw’s planned move to BMW could be a stroke of genius...
Is there a planned move to BMW?

Or just a speculative piece in a newspaper
Old 10 Dec 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3945901)   #8
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this to be very sad news.

Raises big questions of the future of the Holden brand, not just Supercars involvement.

However, I have a theory. In certain parts of the generalist media, the SUV is becoming a catch-all blame tool for environmental concerns. Manufacturers are right to cash in now, but I think they should also continue to invest in 'regular' cars too because as quick as the tide turned to SUVs, it could also wash back.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3945908)   #9
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is Holden aren't cashing in on SUV's. The seven seater GMC has been heavily promoted on TV (unlike the Commodore that was left to die) but has not been a sales success at all.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3945922)   #10
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
A bigger question than the news today, what is going to happen to this sub forum? We ain't there yet but it is coming at high speed. I would hope the admin team have a plan in their back pocket because they must have known this would happen. If they didn't then they were the only ones on here that didn't. I guess it will just naturally wither away as we all lose interest. Pecky's view on this would be interesting to hear...
Pecky as we know it hasnt been here since forever, unless under another name.
his opinion is no better or worse than the rest of us
Old 10 Dec 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3945926)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
A bigger question than the news today, what is going to happen to this sub forum? We ain't there yet but it is coming at high speed. I would hope the admin team have a plan in their back pocket because they must have known this would happen.
As long as there's still TC racing in Aus I guess I'll have to keep putting up with you all

We long since took out the V8 moniker. Evolution is everything.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3945930)   #12
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Not many options for Holden in Supercars post 2021. Camaro is set to be discontinued at the end of 2022 and the HSV version sold here doesn't wear a Holden badge. Import and rebadge an Impala?

No interest by GM in RHD production.

It seems unlikely General Motors will choose to persist with selling vehicles in Australia.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3945982)   #13
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
The thing is Holden aren't cashing in on SUV. The seven seater GMC has been heavily promoted on TV (unlike the Commodore that was left to die) but has not been a sales success at all.
Buttner was (apparently) given the choice of vehicles available to him in RHD, I don't think he added to what they were already (not) selling, their products are ok on there own but slide down the ladder when it comes to comparing to established 4x4/ SUVs, I bet Buttner was informed of the demise of the Commodore/Astra last week and then called it quits as the products that will be left for sale aren't selling- Fords tie-up with VW will see some groundbreakers in their Ranger/Amarok vehicles and all built RHD. I think the next step for Holden is goodbye altogether and by the end of next year I doubt that there will be many Holden dealers left to sell what's left.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3945997)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what do they expect when they import rubbish - they would have been better off importing a RWD V8 from the States instead of some German 4cyl FWD rubbish

As an aside the Aussie market is flooded with SUV's, our whole work sedan fleet has been replaced by Toyota RAV4's in the last few weeks
Old 10 Dec 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3946002)   #15
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
No interest by GM in RHD production.

I was more thinking about a racing model, rather than a showroom model.

Holden have a cult following, so it kind of makes sense to keep racing and keep some passion for the brand.

Old 10 Dec 2019, 23:52 (Ref:3946039)   #16
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 888 Acadia should look great on the grid in 2022!
Old 11 Dec 2019, 04:14 (Ref:3946062)   #17
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As long as there's still TC racing in Aus I guess I'll have to keep putting up with you all

We long since took out the V8 moniker. Evolution is everything.
How did the open wheeler decision go?

Why was it necessary to add a second thread for basically the same topic? Did the excitement of it all cause brain fade?

Moving right along and I don't know which thread to post this in so the mods may want to move it, here goes some of my thoughts on the matter...

It is glaringly obvious that SCA has been caught totally without any plan as there has been no reaction at all, what a shambles and they will get everything they deserve. As for the the two car parity, everything must be even mania which they have used up to now has been shown to be a failure when other makes try to participate so I doubt that thinking can be carried forward. Parity as it has been applied up to now was easy for a two car series but add multiple manufacturers to the mix and it goes down the gurgler. If it is a silhouette series manufacturers will not participate either and to make the problem even more complicated large cheap sedans such as the Falcon & Holden no longer exist and I can't see smaller family sedans existing in large numbers for very much longer either.

Last edited by Casper; 11 Dec 2019 at 04:22.
Old 11 Dec 2019, 06:37 (Ref:3946072)   #18
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is absolutely incredible that if you look at the Supercars .com site that as of this time there is NO mention of the Commodore finishing.

How incredibly HEAD IN THE SAND is this!
Old 11 Dec 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3946076)   #19
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's interesting to see Holden killing off cars that aren't SUV/4x4. Recently saw a Cadillac CTS-V bodied test car driving around with a a current spec Caddy, Camaro and VF Commodore. The Caddy test car while had a camouflage scheme, I did manage to see a small Holden logo on it and the guy driving had a Holden logo on his shirt. So it was assumed that the CT5 would be the latest iteration of imported Commodore.

Wonder if Mr. Walkinshaw will take over and bring it in as a HSV spec and badged machine?
Old 11 Dec 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3946079)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Statement from Supercars CEO here.

He's quite right that the Commodore will be in the racing program until the end of 2021 but I thought it would be a good moment to salute the model and its history in supercars and before.

Reading between the lines to an extent, with his reference to working with Holden and Ford re the Gen 3 cars for 2022, it feels like the Commodore announcement hasn't come as a big surprise.
Old 11 Dec 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3946081)   #21
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't all the redundant Commodores running around at the end of 2021 start to make the series look, in Roland Dane's words, "like a used car lot".
Old 11 Dec 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3946089)   #22
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
It's interesting to see Holden killing off cars that aren't SUV/4x4. Recently saw a Cadillac CTS-V bodied test car driving around with a a current spec Caddy, Camaro and VF Commodore. The Caddy test car while had a camouflage scheme, I did manage to see a small Holden logo on it and the guy driving had a Holden logo on his shirt. So it was assumed that the CT5 would be the latest iteration of imported Commodore.
It is funny, I saw this driving around in Melbourne too.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3946235)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Statement from Supercars CEO here.
Stating the obvious and it is fairly clear that they have not got a plan in place when even the fans knew it was inevitable. Head in the sand stuff!! That press release is a knee jerk reaction to a phone call. Managers are supposed to be clever people and actually do some thinking & planning. If they had any contingency plan in place it would have been at least hinted at.

I am glad that Mike Raymond did not live to see this and Larry Perkin's comments would be golden.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 04:04 (Ref:3946249)   #24
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Wonder if Mr. Walkinshaw will take over and bring it in as a HSV spec and badged machine?

Just doing calibration work for the Middle East markets I believe. The Caddy would be very expensive once landed against the European and Japanese medium luxury opposition but might sell in small numbers as a niche import. Definitely not a Commodore replacement. Have driven Caddy ATS/CTS/STS and DTS as rentals but none of the new series yet.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 04:52 (Ref:3946252)   #25
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Stating the obvious and it is fairly clear that they have not got a plan in place when even the fans knew it was inevitable. Head in the sand stuff!! That press release is a knee jerk reaction to a phone call. Managers are supposed to be clever people and actually do some thinking & planning. If they had any contingency plan in place it would have been at least hinted at.

I am glad that Mike Raymond did not live to see this and Larry Perkin's comments would be golden.
And still NO mention on the Supercars site that this has happened!

Talk about putting your head in the sand.......