Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3399459)   #1
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official V8 Supercar statistics

Hello all,

We often hear commentators and journalists referencing the exact number of race starts and race wins that a driver has. Is there anywhere online that displays those completed statistics, including referencing the actual races? For example, wikipedia tells me that Mark Winterbottom has started 138 races with 23 race wins - I would like to see a list of those indivudal races. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 02:47 (Ref:3399465)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Contact Aaron Noonan. He'd know.

I'm pretty sure the V8SC Wikipedia page has this info anyway, doesn't it?
Old 29 Apr 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3399516)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it would be 138 round starts for Frosty, not races?

With an average of 30-35 races per year (38 this year) in previous years, drivers are racking up huge start numbers with ease.

Championship statistics as a whole has been a topic of conversation on another local forum recently.

Namely how John Bowe is now listed as having started 226 championship rounds rather than the previously celebrated 225, with Bowe now all of a sudden being credited as having started the 1986 Lakeside round despite being a DNS (he handed his Volvo over the Francevic after Robbie's car broke in morning warmup and was in the commentary box for the race)
Old 29 Apr 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3399529)   #4
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winterbottom was used as an example, the wikipedia page could be out of date.

The apparent lack of readily available information about this sort of stuff (the John Bowe round starts is a nother great example) have been bothering me for a while and because of this, I've started compiling data myself to be included on the racing-reference database. The idea being to have a more comprehensive source of information out there, covering individual races, championships and driver careers:

http://racing-reference.info/v8.htm

If you see anything that needs to be changed or can add to the information, feel free to add into the comments section.

I have just submitted the 2009 results and the Surfers Paradise event is what made me start this thread, as I have been thinking about how to properly classify and display those "split" races. Similar thoughts about the 1999 Adelaide 500 - with the way they were run with retirements, etc, should those events really be counted as an overall race?

I'd really just like to see a more comprehensive and informative way to look back through the record books. Couldn't find one, so started my own!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3399558)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
Similar thoughts about the 1999 Adelaide 500 - with the way they were run with retirements, etc, should those events really be counted as an overall race?
The 1999 Adelaide 500 is a wierd one... they changed the rules halfway through (because alot of big names retired on the Saturday, meaning they would be many laps down for Sunday's part two...not sure how they didn't think of that in advance) so that those who retired on Saturday could start on the same lap as the leaders on Sunday... yet then some drivers were given penalties on the Sunday which dated back to the Saturday race.

Very messy stuff, and something that was never really clarified for the event as a whole, but judging by the crowds ever since, nobody seemed to care the formats made no sense!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3399583)   #6
EL GT
Rookie

New Zealand
Petrol Heaven
EL GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
Winterbottom was used as an example, the wikipedia page could be out of date.

The apparent lack of readily available information about this sort of stuff (the John Bowe round starts is a nother great example) have been bothering me for a while and because of this, I've started compiling data myself to be included on the racing-reference database. The idea being to have a more comprehensive source of information out there, covering individual races, championships and driver careers:

http://racing-reference.info/v8.htm

If you see anything that needs to be changed or can add to the information, feel free to add into the comments section.
Excel stuff thanks for that
I have just submitted the 2009 results and the Surfers Paradise event is what made me start this thread, as I have been thinking about how to properly classify and display those "split" races. Similar thoughts about the 1999 Adelaide 500 - with the way they were run with retirements, etc, should those events really be counted as an overall race?

I'd really just like to see a more comprehensive and informative way to look back through the record books. Couldn't find one, so started my own!

Excel stuff, much appreciated
Old 30 Apr 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3399907)   #7
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The 1999 Adelaide 500 is a wierd one... they changed the rules halfway through (because alot of big names retired on the Saturday, meaning they would be many laps down for Sunday's part two...not sure how they didn't think of that in advance) so that those who retired on Saturday could start on the same lap as the leaders on Sunday... yet then some drivers were given penalties on the Sunday which dated back to the Saturday race.

Very messy stuff, and something that was never really clarified for the event as a whole, but judging by the crowds ever since, nobody seemed to care the formats made no sense!
I think it was still ballsed up later. IIRC in 2007 Todd Kelly won the Adelaide round with a 1st and 2nd place finish. But Rick Kelly won the Clipsal 500 by finishing 1st on the Sunday but finished with less points for the round than his brother. I then think V8Supercars retorospectivly changed the rules so that now Rick is also the round winner. This may have also happened to Bright in 2001, So V8 stats are all dependant on which rule variation the V8's decide to use on which day of the week.

They then totally buggered any statistics by changing from the round format to the event format. Where we now have upto 4 winners per weekend(round) as opposed to 1 winner. Which throws out any stats for round victories in the past.