Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Aug 2015, 05:33 (Ref:3567123)   #1
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport/F1 Magazines

Picked up 7 boxes of Autosport and F1 Magazine...virtually every magazine since 1997...catching up on some great old news stories....with some amazing pics.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 11:18 (Ref:3567209)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you count how many non-F1 Autosport front covers you can find? And which year had them the most. Would be nice
Old 25 Aug 2015, 06:22 (Ref:3568518)   #3
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Can you count how many non-F1 Autosport front covers you can find? And which year had them the most. Would be nice
Way too many to go through them all...but I did grab 2007...24 magazines...1 non-F1 cover and that was the Colin McRae Tribute from September 20 2007
Old 25 Aug 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3568520)   #4
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
This is fun...
32 Magazines - 3 non-F1
50th Anniversary edition
Best of 2000 Edition
Richard Burns/Subaru/Rally GB Special - Nov 30 2000
Old 25 Aug 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3568615)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks

The further back one goes, further non F1 is there likely to be found I think
Old 25 Aug 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3568617)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's baffling that non-F1 weekends get F1 covers. There's rallying, sports cars, touring cars, IndyCar...
Old 25 Aug 2015, 15:19 (Ref:3568637)   #7
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So far this year there have been 2 non F1 Autosport covers.
18 June LeMans and Porsche win.
30 April WRC and Kris Meeke's win.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3568639)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It's baffling that non-F1 weekends get F1 covers. There's rallying, sports cars, touring cars, IndyCar...
Non-F1 covers coincide with a discernible dip in sales apparently. So they won't do it.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3568707)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
So far this year there have been 2 non F1 Autosport covers.
18 June LeMans and Porsche win.
30 April WRC and Kris Meeke's win.
Oh yes right the LM one was welcoming surprise indeed (although likely aided by Hulkenberg).

The rallying one, left field choice
Old 30 Aug 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3569777)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Non-F1 covers coincide with a discernible dip in sales apparently. So they won't do it.
Correct, sadly
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 30 Aug 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3569782)   #11
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
80's

I picked up a job lot from a recent BTCC meeting of 84/86/87 autosports, I was 4-6 at the time and remember most of the races like I watched them live due to me having seen them on my btcc/f3/f1 dvds.
Fantastic to read the magazine as if it is current, this was a time where british f3 was massive, f2000 and wtcc on the scene (only up to 86 yet!)

A lot of Group B rallying front covers and topics, I have just read the article about the unfortunate crashes on the Corsica rally 86.

Some fantastic images too.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3582528)   #12
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Printed media is declining so expect Formula 1 to dominate cover and content.

I am watching to see if Moto GP creeps in too, which for me would be the beginning of the end of my subscription!
Old 21 Mar 2016, 09:43 (Ref:3625441)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moto GP has now crept in, the straw that broke the Camels back?
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3625444)   #14
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the fact that MotoGP is added but it will depend on how these extra 4? pages are included.

Are they 4 additional pages which just give the magazine more content (great)
Are they 4 pages taken from F1 coverage (I can live with that)
Are they 4 pages taken from the 25% of the magazine that does EVERYTHING else (this would not be great at all)
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3625450)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Why not? A lot of car racing fans are drawn to MotoGP
Old 21 Mar 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3625469)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not for me, it's as bad as Motorsport, Octane and god knows whatever magazines that have articles about watches in them. Bah Humbug.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3625516)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Coincidentally, my interest in the magazine went the same way as my interest in F1. I had virtually every issue from about 1983 to 2010, all went to recycling a few years ago.

I miss some of the news I gleaned from it, but sadly there was no longer enough of that, too many photoshopped pictures of what an F1 car might look like if someone who was the subject of an unlikely rumour got a seat. Plus all of the experienced, quality journalists had deserted it.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3625560)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, I remember being as proud as punch with an Autosport underarm in the preinternet era when TV coverage was primitive. I was ahead of the curve.

The internet means Autosport and other published magazines are inevitably outpaced on that front and even the 'scoops' contained in their paywall website snippets can be found elsewhere.

Even if contemporary F1 is all that I would want, saturation coverage means that I'm kinda sufferin' from enough fatigue to be disinclined to then go on to read about it ontop of all the coverage.

And all of the series that I have an interest are also broadcast online or on satellite channels and so on. That wasn't the case back in the day so the interest I had in a race reports back then is diminished today.

Including MotoGP does nothing for me and the magazine is thin these days.

They do produce good issues during the off season when they've time to reflect but when the racing gets underway a typical issue is far too watery and thin for me to engage with.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3625604)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps MotoGP is in these magazines because it offers more in terms of racing and personality than F1 has for decades.

You are fairly far from the normal racefan if you don't like MotoGP, the vast majority of race fans do. And I think if it does nothing for you, that says more about your tastes than it does about the magazines and most race fans.

Magazines are dying and within 10 years, all you have left are a few glossies, fashion, tv and some special interest.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 17:25 (Ref:3625624)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Perhaps MotoGP is in these magazines because it offers more in terms of racing and personality than F1 has for decades.

You are fairly far from the normal racefan if you don't like MotoGP, the vast majority of race fans do. And I think if it does nothing for you, that says more about your tastes than it does about the magazines and most race fans.

Magazines are dying and within 10 years, all you have left are a few glossies, fashion, tv and some special interest.
They are legions of people who don't like the bikes but dig the cars.

Not that I care.

The herd doesn't define my tastes.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3625833)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neither does it define mine.

I watch far more types of motorsport than most people, but you cant blame a magazine or website for following the herd, when subs are struggling and thousands of people stop buying you simply have to, to survive.

If you didn't you would be negligent really.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 09:17 (Ref:3625855)   #22
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
My preferred bike sport is Irish Road racing (my Brother in Law does it) but that doesn't mean I want to read about it in Autosport.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3625926)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Neither does it define mine.

I watch far more types of motorsport than most people, but you cant blame a magazine or website for following the herd, when subs are struggling and thousands of people stop buying you simply have to, to survive.

If you didn't you would be negligent really.
Who's blaming, what? I'm simply reporting my experiences.

What people take/don't take from that is outside my jurisdiction.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:23 (Ref:3627484)   #24
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently cancelled my digital subscription to Autosport as I didn't like the revamped magazine, who wants to trawl through 15 pages of F1 to get to the news articles.

Magazines are now so out of date in the internet age, its like buying a 4 day old newspaper. The fact you couldn't download the digital edition till 8am when I could buy the paper copy from my newsagent at 6am made no sense.

I picked up this weeks Autosport at a well known High St retailer and on reading an item about wings on MotoGP bikes I put it back down again. There are enough magazines that cater for bikes, I don't want to read about them in my car magazine. The move to include bike news will make me more determined not to spend my money on Autosport any longer.

I gave up on F1 Racing when it became a mouthpiece for Red Bull Racing several years ago.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3627502)   #25
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ordered all Autosport magazine in 2012, but soon I found that rather I read all the news from the Internet.