Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 24 Jul 2003, 22:12 (Ref:670636)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicky Hayden - are Repsol Honda keeping him for next year?

Given all the new boys that are coming into MotoGP such as Troy Bayliss, Colin Edwards and maybe even Neil Hodgson - are Repsol Honda sticking by Nicky Hayden for next year? Or are they having a rider rethink?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 08:14 (Ref:670888)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Honda will give him another chance next year. They understand that he's still relatively young and inexperienced, and we have heard nothing from HRC regarding his performances...
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:10 (Ref:671393)   #3
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
IMO Honda will give him another chance next year. They understand that he's still relatively young and inexperienced, and we have heard nothing from HRC regarding his performances...
He seems like a good solid rider who keeps it on the road. At least Honda understand that rookies like Hayden need time to develop, unlike a certain green F1 team... Maybe F1 teams are tougher on rookies.

Maybe Nicky Hayden is indeed a star of the future - Kimi Raikkonen didn't look spectacular in his first F1 season did he? And look how far he's progressed since then. I know he got a good car at McLaren, but even so, he's become very fast and agressive.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:37 (Ref:671619)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
would seem a waste of a season if honda didnt keep him - i hope he stays on a repsol bike
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:18 (Ref:671755)   #5
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering he's been dropped in at the deepend in the top series, against the best riders in the world, with circuits he has to learn new each time, getting used also to living in new and unfamilliar places (which can be harder to get used to for some people than the bike and tracks) he hasn't done too badly. He put some quick times in at Donnington (and elsewhere) in practice - hitting the front and holding provisional pole, IIRC. If he still can't hack it next year, that's different.

Also Honda have for years now seemeingly tended to focus on one rider particularly, even though they were running several "works" bikes. Maybe Nicky isn't getting quite the support and help he needs. Just a thought.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:672096)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why give nicky the same bike as rossi - 2003 is a learning year... nicky was never going to finish top 5, or help rossi win a world title (ie: by taking points away from other riders) - just a learning year for nicky!!!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 00:01 (Ref:672842)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Hayden got his best result so far of 5th place in Germany today. Let's hope he isn't just doing well because contracts are being negoticated.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 03:22 (Ref:672901)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a good ride from Hayden last night on a difficult track to pass. He's getting better with every race, and despite being thrown in at the deep end, he's still always smiling at that camera!

I hope he keeps on improving. A podium could be possible by seasons end.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 12:00 (Ref:673182)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
neah ... very unlikely ... not with so many Honda, Ducati and Yamaha so much faster then him .. on almoast all circuits ....

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:27 (Ref:673296)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing to know about Hayden, he is the eternal optimist. He won't give up and will keep on plugging away until he gets it right. The hard part is that evey racer is awesome at the front of the grid and it takes a lot more than just a premiere bike to go for a win.
Never forget #99
Old 28 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:673336)   #11
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is not good at qualifying. there are so many good riders and bikes at gp that it is very difficult to overtake. but, it is still his learning year. i dont think honda expected him to start beating rossi at his first year. next year will be his real challenge, and i think he gets potential to be next world champ.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 18:50 (Ref:673593)   #12
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What they should have done is: land him on the satellite team for a seasoning.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 30 Jul 2003, 11:40 (Ref:675172)   #13
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gomick, if Nicky was never going to finish top 5...???

Nicky really rode well and moved up through the field. But his qualifying position stung him badly (and has done all season). Personally, I didn't think he was ready for the ride he has and that has more or less been proven so far. I believe he should have had a year or two in the category with a smaller team to get used to the type of bike and track.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:23 (Ref:676863)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
gomick, if Nicky was never going to finish top 5...???
sorry elephino, i meant top 5 in the championship
Old 2 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:677733)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I rate Haydne very highly indeed. He has come in on tracks he doesn't know at all and on tyres he has very little expeince of and looked the part.
He was spinning the thing up in fine style at Donington and looked every inch at home.
I reckon he has had as good a debut as Bayliss to be honest, OK he hasn't got the same results. But, he has so little European experience and we all know the Yank tracks are so very very different. Michelins are not quite as different to Dunnies now but the transistoin must be hard. And to cope with the pressure of being in Rossi's team must be tremendous.
Fair play to the bloke and also fair play to Honda for having the balls to pick him instead of Edwards. Colin would have been just as good, but is he a rider for the future???
Old 2 Aug 2003, 12:11 (Ref:677812)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
I suppose that is one thing we have all ignored in the Hayden v Edwards arguments. Edwards has been around for years, and who knows how long he has left. With Hayden, Honda can afford a year or two for him to gain experience but there is no doubting Hayden will eventually go on to win and who knows. He's only a young chap with plenty of potential...