Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 May 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3979201)   #1
MDCutting
Rookie

England
Somewhere in the UK
MDCutting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth HB

I've been playing at working out the installation of the 75 degree V8 Cosworth HB, this being the engine which replaced the derivatives of the classic DFV.

I happen to have a print of the DFR/DFZ, but this being the DFV derivative, much of the data is only slightly helpful!

Top question, does anybody have installation drawings of any version of the HB?

Otherwise, I'm grateful for any other information of interest! This engine was used by Benetton, Jordan and McLaren in the early 90s.

Example of the interesting things I'm trying to work out:

Being a V8 the cylinder banks are staggered, interestingly the HB is staggered with the right hand bank forwards, which is opposite to the DFV. I've struggled to work out how the attachment points from the cam cover to the tub handle this stagger due to lack of decent photographs. Jordan 191 has adaptor blocks and I think the right hand block takes up the stagger. It seems a little strange that the cam cover didn't have the variation on each side because they're different anyway?

There is a later version of the engine which has built in attachment points (I think Benetton used it but maybe also McLaren), which in theory should take up the differences in the casting, but I can't tell for sure.I

So there you go, I'm trying to be a nerd about an engine from three decades ago!