Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4044497)   #26
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We have this comment every year! I can't believe you said it again Lanky, you need to look around.

Premiership footy is £40 or more for 90 minutes. It's easy to spend £40 per head at a decent gastro pub for lunch. Many even local museum "special exhibitions" are £25 a throw. I went to watch The Police in concert 10 years or more ago and paid £120 per ticket. And all are over in a couple of hours.

For £67 you get the best Historic cars on the planet racing from early morning until past dusk. You get the car clubs to browse. The social activities. And I know no-one here likes it but there are concerts and entertainment all day and late into the night.

Jeez, it's such good value that in the past I've even bought tickets myself.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

I think the point is that as far as I'm concerned your comparisons are pointless - I haven't been to a football match in over 50 years, nor do I have any intention of doing so, I've never paid £40/head for a meal and consider it obscenely self-indulgent so to do, and would never consider paying that sort of silly money - nearly a week's pension - to attend a concert. However all of these activities do in fact constitute paying someone else to do some form of performance. Attending a classic car race meet doesn't involve paying any of the participants that one is watching - in fact in the majority of circumstances I imagine they are paying to participate. Therefore one can only presume that the inflated prices are either to pay for all the peripheral tat that has no contribution to my enjoyment of the event, or to make profit for the organiser - not an unacceptable objective of course - just not one I want to contribute to

Enjoy your visit, though
Old 4 Apr 2021, 04:27 (Ref:4044531)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I blame Peter, Peter , Peter… Peter who?
Mallett. Two L. Two T. Not too late. Actually.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4044545)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mallett. Two L. Two T. Not too late. Actually.
Interesting. I suspect this is a result of the recent fire. I originally set this up as a calendar thread but as you can see it is unconnected with the event on the calendar. I've merged the threads and again, you can see they duplicate each other. Oh well, carry on...........
Old 4 Apr 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4044587)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Honestly, Peter, no big deal, seems we all are too happy that the forum is going on and have you to take care of the calendar and other things. Not an easy task. As Mike said, better two than none!
Old 10 Jul 2021, 06:34 (Ref:4060584)   #30
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I am allowing myself to think I am actually going to go to my second most enjoyable long weekend of the year (after Goodwood MM ). This is a tad ironic as it is at the UK's worst circuit for viewing , but it is the pit and paddock stuff which enthral . I got confirmation of my booking from Silverstone yesterday - very helpful they were too , even though I am unsure why the circuit itself now runs this .

As said above, a car club deal makes it a bargain at 30 quid a day , half that if you are recompensed for the second BOGOF ticket by your friend .

Timetable arrived last night and only ..err... 19 sleeps to go.
Old 10 Jul 2021, 07:43 (Ref:4060594)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff, I'll be there spectating and will be bringing some beer for Delta's BBQ for Marshals,
Old 12 Jul 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4060864)   #32
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Good stuff, I'll be there spectating and will be bringing some beer for Delta's BBQ for Marshals,
Old 12 Jul 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4060865)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
First time ever I have nothing to race., but then you never know what the next phone call might bring. Mind you the Delta HQ phone is on the blink.
Old 12 Jul 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4060867)   #34
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Birch/Ruston entry in Pre War race includes
two works Talbot 105’s, Alta and Lea Francais Hyper.
Makes for interesting Friday and Saturday morning
Pity they are letting in specials but presume they need the dosh!
Micheal has other stuff I including B16 and Elite
All over for us by Saturday late pm!
Old 19 Jul 2021, 12:23 (Ref:4062096)   #35
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time for me at the Classic, just doing the Friday qualifying day as it clashes with another event.

Does anyone know if we can watch the testing on Friday also or not?

Looking forward to it, grids look great already

Simon
Old 19 Jul 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4062103)   #36
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
Does anyone know if we can watch the testing on Friday also or not?
Do you mean Thursday? I would imagine not. Silverstone don’t usually open to spectators for testing and I would be mighty surprised if they started now. They will still be setting up the event up to the last minute.
Old 19 Jul 2021, 12:57 (Ref:4062104)   #37
snowen250
Veteran

I did mean Thursday yes, apologies! Ok, will see if i can sneak in with a friendly driver/team...many thanks!
Old 19 Jul 2021, 16:59 (Ref:4062176)   #38
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I've got in for testing on Thursdays for years . If asked , which is rare , I say I'm just setting up our car club stand or with one of the racers I know.

May well be very different this year though
Old 19 Jul 2021, 18:08 (Ref:4062191)   #39
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any entry lists published yet?..............M
Old 19 Jul 2021, 21:05 (Ref:4062225)   #40
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman24 View Post
Any entry lists published yet?..............M
Motor Racing Legends have their entries on their website
Old 23 Jul 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4062855)   #41
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Masters entry list up......

https://www.mastershistoricracing.co...try%20List.pdf
Old 23 Jul 2021, 19:59 (Ref:4062912)   #42
Mike Crow
Racer

[QUOTE=kartman24;4062855]Masters entry list up......

https://www.mastershistoricracing.co...try%20List.pdf[/QUOTE

All looking good
Old 23 Jul 2021, 20:39 (Ref:4062918)   #43
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entries looking very good.
Replacement ticket PDFs arrived yesterday, so we are ready.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 07:51 (Ref:4063162)   #44
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thought Brundle's were sharing dad's etype in the GT race?
Old 26 Jul 2021, 10:45 (Ref:4063211)   #45
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
They are in the E Type race I think
Old 26 Jul 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4063244)   #46
snowen250
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I've got in for testing on Thursdays for years . If asked , which is rare , I say I'm just setting up our car club stand or with one of the racers I know.

May well be very different this year though
Many thanks!
Old 26 Jul 2021, 22:39 (Ref:4063316)   #47
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
They are in the E Type race I think
Ah right ok thanks Mike
Old 27 Jul 2021, 03:26 (Ref:4063335)   #48
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Just to confirm they are in the E Type entry list. Car #1 Class E. Link to E type entry follows

https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ryLists-V2.pdf
Old 27 Jul 2021, 06:13 (Ref:4063338)   #49
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
As one of the curses of modern racing is spec formulae I really do wish we didn't have single make races for E-Types and Minis . It is gimmickry and pointless - far better to see an E dicing with a Cobra or 26 R and a Mini hustling a Mustang or Cortina.

Looking forward to the prospect of a bevy of T70s in GT race though. If ever I wanted to show somebody who'd only seen BTCC what a proper racer looks and sounds like ....
Old 27 Jul 2021, 06:16 (Ref:4063339)   #50
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree about the 1-make races coppice.