Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Apr 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2168126)   #101
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is strange because according to Motoring News, Chris Hodgetts got the last Class A qualifying position yet Nick Whale pipped Barbara Cowell into the DNQ Ranks with his GpA car.

It didn't say what car he drove though.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2168447)   #102
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Changing the subject very slightly, have you got the complete entry lists for the BTCC races, particularly the 1988 race that never happened?

I've recently been looking at old BTCC results and I'm trying to fill in some gaps I've got in my knowledge. I believe Nick Whale was on the entry list in '88, but driving what? At the time he was running an M3 in prodsaloons as I remember, but I've no idea what he drove at Birmingham- I think, but can't swear, that he was last qualifier, so I suspect either his regular Prodsaloon, or a 1600cc class car, maybe one of Chris Hodgetts' Toyotas .

What I'd really like to find is a complete rundown of the grid- I've got a fair part of it from the Motoring News 'race' report, but I've got several gaps
Sorry no Nick Whale on programme insert for 88.I regret I did not make any amendment notes for the BTCC race but if you need the grid for the Vauxhall Lotus Challenge I have that!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 08:48 (Ref:2168471)   #103
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes I think Whale pedalled one of the CHMS Corollas for a ccouple of the races that season (or was it in '89) so could well be what he was due to run at B'ham?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2177313)   #104
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
After some research, I discovered that Nick Whale drove a production saloon BMW M3 so he must have entered in the 1988 round.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2177447)   #105
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes Whale entered an M3 in prodsaloons/Grp N for a few seasons, but it's not likely he'd have entered a standard car in the Bham BTCC supporter? I wonder if he'd hired a Grp A car though.

I'm sure he drove one of Chris Hodgetts Corollas at somepoint?
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2177899)   #106
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Yes Whale entered an M3 in prodsaloons/Grp N for a few seasons, but it's not likely he'd have entered a standard car in the Bham BTCC supporter? I wonder if he'd hired a Grp A car though.

I'm sure he drove one of Chris Hodgetts Corollas at somepoint?
That's why I was wondering- as far as I remember, the Motoring News report never actually said what he drove- it certainly wasn't unknown for some of the Prodsaloon boys to put a set of slicks on the car (and sometimes some upgrades to something closer to Group A) for the occasional BTCC outing, particularly at the GP support meetings, but hiring a Group A car like a CHMS Corolla seemed more likely
Old 31 May 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2216158)   #107
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
I agree with what's been said so far, it was an excellent event, and one hell of a spectacle.
Just picking up on a few of the points raised so far...
I remember the original Martin Hone idea being publicised, I don't remember when this was, but to help date it, Midlands TV News used Stirling Moss driving around the proposed circuit in a Triumph Stag! (And it did the whole lap without head gasket failure!)
Could anyone put a date on what VIVA said here? I got nothing about Moss lapping the proposed circuit. Anyone?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2216318)   #108
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears
:P

When I saw that camera filming the BSP photos, I recognised the 1987 Julian Bailey and the Fiesta photos!

It was a very interesting programme, plenty of unseen footage there.

Hope someone will take notice of the programme and makes things happen again.
I taped this programme and recently watched it again when looking for something else-it reminded me of something I had forgotten to do-resign from 'Friends of the Earth'

Hope that something positive happens soon-we coul do with somewhere interesting to go racing in UK.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2218327)   #109
ken herd
Rookie

Australia
ken herd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hello, I have just registered in this forum because I am an avid fan of the Birmingham Superprix so I am hoping to find more information from you. In the past few years, I have been collecting and researching information relating anything about the Birmingham Superprix.

I have used the search function and PMed some members here but one person suggested to me that I should set up a thread to get more response from you guys about what you know about or your experiences of attending the Birmingham Superprix.

A little snippet of information here:

I took some photos of the old street track and put them up in this website.

I got a lot of photos and even video footage from 1985-1990. So if anyone need their memory jogged up, let me know so I can post a relevant photo! So hopefully you can share your experiences in this thread.

Thanks
Hi there, would like to get pics or video of Pier Luigi Martini RT21 if possible
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2218363)   #110
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Could anyone put a date on what VIVA said here? I got nothing about Moss lapping the proposed circuit. Anyone?
Just to clarify what I posted earlier. The time I'm thinking of was well before the actual Superprix was held, plus the circuit used (suggested?) at the time was (I'm sure) not the one eventually used for the Superprix, I'm sure it was more central and involved more "notable landmarks". Again, IIRC, the idea was being touted as a venue for a Grand Prix with the idea of making Birmingham the Monaco of the Midlands!
Old 4 Jun 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2219782)   #111
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Just to clarify what I posted earlier. The time I'm thinking of was well before the actual Superprix was held, plus the circuit used (suggested?) at the time was (I'm sure) not the one eventually used for the Superprix, I'm sure it was more central and involved more "notable landmarks". Again, IIRC, the idea was being touted as a venue for a Grand Prix with the idea of making Birmingham the Monaco of the Midlands!
I know what you mean, it might be in a Motoring Festival in 1970 or 1972 or 1975?

Or even in the 'On The Streets' parade in 1978 or 1980 or in the Chequered Bitter run in 1984?
Old 4 Jun 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2219784)   #112
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken herd
Hi there, would like to get pics or video of Pier Luigi Martini RT21 if possible
I will have a look and see what I have got tonight.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2249691)   #113
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was reading Philippe Adams page on F1 rejects, it says:

"In 1989 he competed in British F3 in a Bowman Racing Ralt RT33 with a VW Speiss engine, finishing 6th in the championship with one win at Brands Hatch and two 2nd place finishes at Silverstone and the Birmingham Superprix."

I was not aware that there was an F3 race at the Superprix , was there?

@Bigears: Do you have any idea if/when you'll be able to update your Superprix page. I have been looking forward to seeing:

1989 - Birmingham Superprix saved by the FISA
1990 - The last ever Birmingham Superprix
1991 - The demise of the Birmingham Superprix
1992 - Final hopes but it is all over for Birmingham

Loved your work so far.

Also I said a while ago I was going to send you some picture's my day took of the superprix, unfortunately are scanner went out of action shortly after I said this so I couldn't get them to you.

Old 12 Jul 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2249706)   #114
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few Pics from 89.

Old 10 Sep 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2286469)   #115
Mallory Racer
Rookie

Mallory Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by verglas
gfm, you are nearly right, but the best bit of your story, and what can clearly be seen in the later photos is that Russell Spence's car was was hoisted above everyone with him still securely strapped in! What a prat, but full marks for trying!! I marsahlld at 3 BSP's, with loads of good memories. Paul Stewart in his FF1600 crabbing all the way up Belgrade Middleway having deranged his rear suspension on the unforgiving Armco, spending a whole weekend standing in the middle of a dual carriageway (how weird was that?) and voting the caff in the fruit and veg market probably the best breakfast ever!!
Hi, Paul Stewart's deranged suspension was due to him crashing into the back of me during the 1st lap of that race!! He got black flagged and I ended up in the armco. I think I might have been the 1st retirement!!! Mark Bryan
Old 10 Sep 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2286686)   #116
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Welcome to this forum.

It is good to see you posting in here.

You got a private message from me by the way.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2447184)   #117
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I am pleased to announce that I have written a book and worked in partnership with S.S Collins (of Autodrome fame) about the Birmingham Superprix:

It is ready for pre-order from the Amazon.co.uk and Waterstones.com websites.

There are more information about the book itself from Veloce Publishing.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2452292)   #118
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
Or even in the 'On The Streets' parade in 1978 or 1980 or in the Chequered Bitter run in 1984?
I remember this - yes it was either '78 or '80.

Look forward to reading the book by the way - congratulations on getting it out there!
Old 29 Apr 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2452335)   #119
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Congratulations Bigears, I'll definitely be buying your book.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2452446)   #120
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great! Look forward to this book.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2452478)   #121
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bigears has done a cracking job on the research - but this book made me so angry - how on earth did the people of Birmingham let petty political squabbling kill of what could and would have been the future of the British Grand Prix. Birmingham would likely have attracted the F1 teams (rather than Oxford) and the glamour would have come too. We would probably have had a new permanent circuit as well. But no the likes of Claire Short wanted to score political points so killed the event
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2452991)   #122
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Cheers SS,

I am very sure the book will be a great read especially with SS Collins' help.

I agree it was a massive shame that it ended in 1990, it would have attracted much more racing series and more publicity into the BSP circuit and the city itself.

A real shame... But at least the memories are there to be remembered because of the fantastic things that people have worked to achieve to make it happen and provided a lot of great racing at the unique street circuit.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2809373)   #123
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Advert for Birmingham Racing Cars On The Streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
Cheers SS,

I am very sure the book will be a great read especially with SS Collins' help.

I agree it was a massive shame that it ended in 1990, it would have attracted much more racing series and more publicity into the BSP circuit and the city itself.

A real shame... But at least the memories are there to be remembered because of the fantastic things that people have worked to achieve to make it happen and provided a lot of great racing at the unique street circuit.
As you know It has taken me ages to find this old advert, but if you go to "OLD RACE SHEETS" on the Historic Motor Sport History, you'll find a picture.
Cheers,
Gerry.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2810053)   #124
Andy Turnock
Rookie

Andy Turnock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On The Streets Birmingham

Found these while having a bit of a clear out over christmas.I must have been there coz they are my pictures but i couldn't tell you who they are,somebody will.
Attached Thumbnails
020.jpg   021.jpg   022.jpg  

023.jpg  
Old 2 Jan 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2810191)   #125
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
They are from the 1984 Chequer Bitter Run?

They are brilliant especially the Jaguars, may I dare to ask if you got any more?