Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 11 Apr 2016, 21:52 (Ref:3631962)   #201
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One day I will actually make my tracks drivable in a sim, but it is not this day! A longer circuit this time, with the full circuit length just under 6km. The east (blue) and west (black) configs work well, I especially like the simplicity of the east circuit.

In terms of the style and feel I was going for, imagine Road America with a few $$$ spent.

Configs in next post.
Attached Thumbnails
61 overview.png   61 1.png   61 2.png  

61 3.png   61 4.png   61 5.png  

Old 11 Apr 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3631963)   #202
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
configs
Attached Thumbnails
61 plan.png  
Old 16 Apr 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3633304)   #203
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Here's a simple, short circuit inspired by Mantorp park (https://youtu.be/RRRJyrcT7uY)

2.2km anticlockwise, with a short oval (0.5km / 0.3miles) suitable for legends or similar.

There aren't any very tight corners, and the 800m back straight (~) should enable some good slipstream action.

Only 10 turns, its nice to simplify now and again...
Attached Thumbnails
62.png   62 1.png   62 2.png  

62 3.png   62 4.png   62 config.png  

Old 16 Apr 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3633457)   #204
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant highly detailed graphics as usual.

For some reason all I want to say it reverse it, not sure why the only thing that sticks out is that the short straight from the double 90 on the left might work better at the end of the back section rather than at the front.

I think you'll find Legends would love to race on the full length circuit, at 2.2km it's essentially Knockhill sized and they slipstream/bumpdraft there no problems. so unless you were thinking running BRisca Stockcars or similar I wouldn't bother with the oval.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3633807)   #205
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Brilliant highly detailed graphics as usual.

For some reason all I want to say it reverse it, not sure why the only thing that sticks out is that the short straight from the double 90 on the left might work better at the end of the back section rather than at the front.

I think you'll find Legends would love to race on the full length circuit, at 2.2km it's essentially Knockhill sized and they slipstream/bumpdraft there no problems. so unless you were thinking running BRisca Stockcars or similar I wouldn't bother with the oval.
You are probably right, I know nothing about legends racing! BriSCA seems like it could be suitable. Looking on their website their ovals are mostly around 300-400m long, as opposed to 490m for my design, but it could work I guess..

When I sketched the circuit it was originally anticlockwise (see highly detailed sketch below), but when I started sketchup-ing I changed my mind and reversed it. Then I changed my mind again and un-reversed it. No regrets!
Attached Thumbnails
20160412_132354_HDR edit.jpg  
Old 18 Apr 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3634491)   #206
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
You are probably right, I know nothing about legends racing! BriSCA seems like it could be suitable. Looking on their website their ovals are mostly around 300-400m long, as opposed to 490m for my design, but it could work I guess..

When I sketched the circuit it was originally anticlockwise (see highly detailed sketch below), but when I started sketchup-ing I changed my mind and reversed it. Then I changed my mind again and un-reversed it. No regrets!
To be honest, the overall shape and corner shapes of Mantorp Park look to me like it could just as well be a street circuit layout in a fictional city.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3634680)   #207
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
To be honest, the overall shape and corner shapes of Mantorp Park look to me like it could just as well be a street circuit layout in a fictional city.
or Surfer's Paradise
Old 23 Jun 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3654718)   #208
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I've been working on this for a while. I originally wanted to get it finished before the Indy 500, oh well..

This is an oval inspired by both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Talledega Superspeedway. This oval has banking of 15deg in turns 1-4, 7deg in the short chutes between turns 1 &2, and 3&4, and 10deg through the tri-oval/finish line area.

The blue configuration (oval with chicanes) would be good for high speed, hard braking testing, while the white and pink configs offer alternative road courses which utilise the oval "pit road", in contrast to the green grand prix config which uses a pitlane on the straight between oval turns 2-3.

The back straight is flat to allow for a grand prix grid.When the grand prix pits are in use, the inside wall is moved away from the pit buildings and towards the track edge to form the pitwall.

Roadcourse barriers and tirewalls are in place as usual, but not shown are the SAFER barriers, which would encompass the entire outside wall of the oval, and on the inside at key places.
Attached Thumbnails
plan.png   tri oval.png   complex.png  

pit lane.png   infield.png   configs.png  

Old 23 Jun 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3654767)   #209
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great concept and great imagery. Just one thing: the paddock space of the oval paddock seems too large / out of scale for a 2.6 mile oval when compared to the GP paddock on the backstretch. Also, how much seating capacity do you think you need for such a circuit? More than they have at Pocono?

Thanks for thinking these through - and for the original design, of course :-)

Last edited by Yannick; 23 Jun 2016 at 21:21.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3654941)   #210
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So many high speed curved braking zones and strange kinks.
Old 26 Jun 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3655221)   #211
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
A great concept and great imagery. Just one thing: the paddock space of the oval paddock seems too large / out of scale for a 2.6 mile oval when compared to the GP paddock on the backstretch. Also, how much seating capacity do you think you need for such a circuit? More than they have at Pocono?

Thanks for thinking these through - and for the original design, of course :-)
The paddock may be slighty oversized. I imagined the seating near the start/finish and turn 1 to be for oval racing, while the stands near the Grand Prix pits are used for road racing. (Obviously, who wouldn't want to watch races here? )

Thanks for the comments. It wasn't originally meant to be this complex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
So many high speed curved braking zones and strange kinks.
Could you specify the areas to don't like, maybe ways to improve?

Thanks
Old 3 Jul 2016, 05:55 (Ref:3656406)   #212
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Well, since this is doing so much good just sitting on my C drive.

Adding some tarmac to smooth out the transition off the banking (removable kerbs can make the circuit do whatever the series wants a la Indy road course).

Added a small slab of tarmac to allow a u-turn directly before Turn 2 to go back down the oval pit-out, allowing a slightly extended variation or chicane the oval T2 .

Used the existing tarmac on the back straight to delay the u-turn for the full roval so the braking zone is free and clear of T2.

Completely rejigged the infield to make smoother and faster, with easier return to the banking, primarily to make side by side racing easier.
Attached Thumbnails
SKG.png  
Old 25 Aug 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3667560)   #213
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Viperion101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Well, since this is doing so much good just sitting on my C drive.

Adding some tarmac to smooth out the transition off the banking (removable kerbs can make the circuit do whatever the series wants a la Indy road course).

Added a small slab of tarmac to allow a u-turn directly before Turn 2 to go back down the oval pit-out, allowing a slightly extended variation or chicane the oval T2 .

Used the existing tarmac on the back straight to delay the u-turn for the full roval so the braking zone is free and clear of T2.

Completely rejigged the infield to make smoother and faster, with easier return to the banking, primarily to make side by side racing easier.

This one looks really nice. I think it would be interesting and challenging to have NASCAR races there. It would add some more diversity to the types of tracks that they race on. Any ideas on where it would be located?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3667907)   #214
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperion101 View Post
This one looks really nice. I think it would be interesting and challenging to have NASCAR races there. It would add some more diversity to the types of tracks that they race on. Any ideas on where it would be located?
Somewhere is NASCAR country devoid of a superspeedway? Where do you think it could work? I'm not too hot on U.S. racetrack distribution...

Sorry AOB, I still prefer my design, I think the flow is better and more interesting. The track is quite wide (15m) so I'm not sure the extra tarmac would be needed. The square bends would still be quite quick as it is despite the small radius.

On the subject of scale, the back straight you drew is the same length of the Sepang pit straight, and I'm not sure having such a fast corner at the end of that straight is the right choice.

Also, I'm not happy about the 100% kink-removal. Embrace the kinks!

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the feedback!
Old 29 Aug 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3668376)   #215
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
After thinking my BTB file was broken / gone forever, my Track 64 project is back on! I decided to go straight into building the circuit for rFactor, and skip all the usual details I put in using Sketchup.

Taking inspiration from random junk, this circuit is based on a small piece of wire I saw lying around on a rainy day. After trying two designs, I settled on one and Sketchup'd the basic layout.

Unfortunately the spiral at the end of the back straight didn't work out, with yellow flags displaying and invalidated laps every time I drove through the tunnel, so I tweaked the design to add I nice open hairpin, a great overtaking opportunity.

There's a youtube link below of a little test race I did, apologies for camera phone quality. It's WIP, plenty of scenery and adjustments still to be completed.

https://youtu.be/MqwAlAQmGGg

I believe the circuit is around 4km long with a laptime of around 1:25 - 1:30 in a GT car.
Attached Thumbnails
20160617_130800_HDR.jpg   13479220_10153497651282085_662820906_n.jpg   64.png  

Screenshot (151).png   Screenshot (154).png  
Old 30 Aug 2016, 04:17 (Ref:3668553)   #216
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Viperion101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
Somewhere is NASCAR country devoid of a superspeedway? Where do you think it could work? I'm not too hot on U.S. racetrack distribution...

Sorry AOB, I still prefer my design, I think the flow is better and more interesting. The track is quite wide (15m) so I'm not sure the extra tarmac would be needed. The square bends would still be quite quick as it is despite the small radius.

On the subject of scale, the back straight you drew is the same length of the Sepang pit straight, and I'm not sure having such a fast corner at the end of that straight is the right choice.

Also, I'm not happy about the 100% kink-removal. Embrace the kinks!

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the feedback!
Darn It! I quoted the wrong reply. I meant to quote your original post. I think the track is fine just as you designed it, not as AOB said it would be. As far as places that lack adequate NASCAR facilities- anywhere in the Rocky Mountain States (Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho) and the Cascade States (Oregon and Washington). The rest of the country has plenty of speedways.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3669027)   #217
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperion101 View Post
Darn It! I quoted the wrong reply. I meant to quote your original post. I think the track is fine just as you designed it, not as AOB said it would be. As far as places that lack adequate NASCAR facilities- anywhere in the Rocky Mountain States (Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho) and the Cascade States (Oregon and Washington). The rest of the country has plenty of speedways.
Boulder or Denver in Colorado could be interesting. At that altitude (~1600m) you could lose over 100bhp, according to an online calculator I've just found.

So, instead of running a 280hp restrictor plate, NASCAR would only have to run a 160hp plate. Although a test would be advised before race weekend, just to make sure!
Old 4 Sep 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3669963)   #218
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, that BTB screenshot makes me re-discover the beauties of track designing...

(and the very first track I drew as a young teen, was also based on a twisted piece of wire...)