Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Apr 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3063499)   #1
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport and forest fires

Hi all I'm a long time lurker and first time poster and the catalyst for this is a question that I've had about the fire risks presented by motorsport in relation to forestry not entirely sure where this should go but this seems to be the forum most relevant to circuits and related issues. Some of you may be aware of new track projects in New Zealand an one of these is planned for my local area where their has been a lot of enthusiasm for a local track for some time. one of the issues raised at the resource consent hearing in opposition to the proposal was its position at the bottom of a valley surrounded by commercial forestry and the potential fire risk posed by motorsport activities to these large valuable forests. Now I know that events are held around New Zealand in forestry blocks the Ashley forest rallysprint for one and several other rallys and of road events around the country and piles peak is held through a pine forest and I've never heard of anyone complaining about the risk of forest fires in relation to motorsport before and was wondering if anyone has any experiance of issues like this one. Here's a link for the proposed park which should answer any questions about the project http://www.centralmotorsport.org.nz/node .
Old 22 Apr 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3063809)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Real World environmental issues don't really come into the thinking of the fantasy track designers in the My Tracks section.

Trackside might be more a more appropriate area for thoughts and discussion.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 23:55 (Ref:3063940)   #3
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Ok thank you for the move though the thread still seems a little out of place must really not be something that comes into normal consideration around here. mainly I'm just interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge of issues like those raised actually occurring.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3063975)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds pretty ridiculous. Sounds like some NIMBY is really stretching for it to make their case. I've heard some crazy stuff before, but this is a new form of crazy.

There are plenty of tracks in dry places like Australia and the USA that have fire issues nearby or the potential for it and there has never been a race situation that I know of that has caused a forest fire, as motorsport fires are quickly contained due to safety standards at tracks and at a club track like what is purposed would probably not often happen there anyways.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3064131)   #5
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have thought the track, run off areas and service roads would actually act as a 'fire break' so would be of benefit to the local enviroment.

I'd be very surprised if there were any recodered instances of racing activity creating forest fires.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3064243)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the proposed "Rally road" runs through woods, then there is a very real risk of fire. I've seen one on a stage rally in the north of England (? south Scotland?) caused by a car.

Regards

Jim
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3064345)   #7
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only instance I know of was the start of this year, at (i think) the sun seeker??

Suzuki swift rolled down a hill and off the track into the trees causing a small fire which spread to a few trees - however this was still quickly contained!

Don't believe it would pose any real risk and the possibility of it actually happening are so low its unreal.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3064371)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
If the proposed "Rally road" runs through woods, then there is a very real risk of fire. I've seen one on a stage rally in the north of England (? south Scotland?) caused by a car.

Regards

Jim
I should have said that this caused a blaze of about 1/2 an acre with the brashings (the "prunings") to a depth of about three feet well alight. When we left after about an hour, the Fire Brigade were running a water relay of tenders into the forest and the Forestry Commission people were worrying about it all getting out of control.

So nothing trivial there.

Not just a real risk but an actual occurrence.

Regards

Jim
Old 23 Apr 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3064489)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd be more worried about things like lightning and people camping than something within a contained facility.

New Zealand also has an extensive amount of rallying going on in and around pine plantations on both islands and I've never heard of anything like this happening.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3064592)   #10
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
thanks for mainly confirming my suspicions on this though the proposed track will include a camping area maybe they will just have to make it gas cooker only. the other objection raised by the forestry company was that they would have right of way on the access road and even when upgraded to a 2 lane road like all the others around here they would still have to close it, if so they should surely have to close all the other 2lane roads to the port. although they may be nimbys they are very important nimbys as forestry is a big employer and cash cow locally so the council may well cave to the pressure and if it establishes a precedent ain't no race track being built here it's pine as far as the eye can see.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3072022)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JimW is talking about a rally road, but it appears that everyone else is talking about a circuit. The risk of a forest fire being caused by activities at a racing circuit is so minimal as to be not worth considering, for the reasons stated above.

The fire risk of running a rally through a forest is very real and in my corner of the world is carefully managed. Events are often cancelled or postponed when prevailing conditions cause high fire danger.
Old 13 May 2012, 00:26 (Ref:3073391)   #12
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
David I will just clarify this the park will include a circuit but there are also plans for a rally stage to hold rallysprints on though that would still be on the private developers land and so i believe they could integrate the necessary safety features into the design.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3101669)   #13
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
And the circuit has been approved by the resource consent process
just in time for me to move to wellington
Old 4 Jul 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3102180)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you just hate it when that happens?

This LINK will take you to pictures of a real forrest fire now burning in the mountains of Colorado (USA). Althought there are no motorsports activities in the area it is worthwhile viewing the result so far as well as the progress.

The gray areas in the early pictures have burned already. The red areas in the later pictures are treated with fire retarding chemicals.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3102246)   #15
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
http://www.tasman.govt.nz/property/r...stanley-brook/
this covers some more information of the decision in the case of the stanley brook motorsport park (also has stuff like a map of the planned facilities at the bottom of the commissioners decision PDF). the pictures linked to above show how horrendous forrest fires can be and the possibility of starting a fire when flammable materials and the outdoors are mixed should be in the back of everyones mind who takes part in such things it should be noted that to the best of my knowledge and like has been stated above motorsports facilities are generally well equiped to deal with fire hazards
Old 6 Jul 2012, 03:00 (Ref:3102682)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
This LINK will take you to pictures of a real forrest fire now burning in the mountains of Colorado (USA). Althought there are no motorsports activities in the area it is worthwhile viewing the result so far as well as the progress.

The gray areas in the early pictures have burned already. The red areas in the later pictures are treated with fire retarding chemicals.
Oh dear. My aunt lives there and had to get out of her house. Burned to the ground. I'm sad to hear this because I loved going to Colorado Springs in the winters.