Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Dec 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3789113)   #101
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The latest on the future of the Belle Isle race from the Detroit Metro Times: “Why environmentalist are calling for a study of Belle Isle Grand Prix.” The first two paragraphs:

Quote:
Like all large parks, Belle Isle is a place for many things, and different bits of programming and infrastructure express competing visions for what the park is and what it should be. The ongoing debate over the presence of the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix auto race on the island is a prime example of such conflicts, pitting racing enthusiasts against those who believe a park should provide a reprieve from the noisy world of the city.

For hundreds of thousands of migrating and nesting birds, the island park is something more vital still — a lynchpin in their struggle for survival. The island sanctuary is an important habitat in the midst of miles of concrete and attracts a number of birds, including shorebirds, waterfowl, owls, woodpeckers and songbirds. These birds either visit during their migrations — the Detroit River is situated at the confluence of the Mississippi and the Atlantic flyways — or raise their young here during the summer, taking advantage of the island's varied ecologies.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3792980)   #102
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I wonder if the end of the year Sebring endure will attract teams? Maybe because of the inclusion of Michelin tires for the 2019 season? There will be competition now from the Laguna 8 (SRO/ICGT) and COTA 24 (Creventic) for entries. I think the classes eligible are GTD, LMP3, GS, and TCR?

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 15 Jan 2018 at 20:16.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 00:06 (Ref:3793015)   #103
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Too far out to tell.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3796905)   #104
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lexus looking to jump into DPi with Andretti?

What's next? Ganassi with Ford?

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/le...eld-of-vision/
Old 30 Jan 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3796911)   #105
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I feel a lot - if not all - depends on the new 'possible global prototype' regs. We'll see.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3796913)   #106
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I feel a lot - if not all - depends on the new 'possible global prototype' regs. We'll see.
I think the Lexus GT is not working. If they have to redone the car, why not to do a DPi instead.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3796918)   #107
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I think the Lexus GT is not working. If they have to redone the car, why not to do a DPi instead.
Agree, lexus gt3 is not a great car afterall.
Anyway, TRD Usa could supervise the whole program.
The lexus engine, judging by mandatory bop relimiter should have torque/power figures similiar to the old DP 5L engines; just enlarge it to 5.5L and basically 60% of job is done.
Buy a pair of dallaras, who already know how to modify their car to fit a 5.5L inside, and just develope some cool lights/nose parts.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3796991)   #108
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree, lexus gt3 is not a great car afterall.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/10/...t-nurburgring/

https://www.lexus.com.au/about-lexus...lexus-rc-f-gt3

The second one isn't dated, but it refers to the 2017 season. While the car was going "meh" in IMSA, it was winning races in Europe.

The car is fine. It's the team running it that's the problem.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3797009)   #109
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
The second one isn't dated, but it refers to the 2017 season. While the car was going "meh" in IMSA, it was winning races in Europe.

The car is fine. It's the team running it that's the problem.
Maybe the car doesn't work well with the Continental tires.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3797065)   #110
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Maybe the car doesn't work well with the Continental tires.
Given who we're dealing with, I'd still suspect the team before the tires.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3797737)   #111
Coach Ep
Veteran

More fuel for the Lexus Dpi rumor?

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14713...ted-autosports
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3797751)   #112
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Lexus GT not working? Watch some International GT Open races on YouTube in 2017. The car is good. I think the 3GT team was incompetent in 2017. It looks like they are much better in 2018. Correct to clean the driver slate except for Hawksworth.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3797790)   #113
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Lexus GT not working? Watch some International GT Open races on YouTube in 2017. The car is good. I think the 3GT team was incompetent in 2017. It looks like they are much better in 2018. Correct to clean the driver slate except for Hawksworth.

In GT open they ran all pro entries against a mostly pro am grid, so it’s not a huge proof of value on the car
Old 2 Feb 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3797814)   #114
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I didn't think the Lexus team was terrible last year. They had a pole didn't they? But you are correct, new drivers can't hurt.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 22:31 (Ref:3797868)   #115
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
In GT open they ran all pro entries against a mostly pro am grid, so it’s not a huge proof of value on the car
Yes, it is. It doesn't matter how good a driver is, if the car is junk, they will do nothing.

But put a good car in the hands of a bad team, and it will still look like crap. While I don't hold Paul Gentilozzi in QUITE as low a regard(barely) as many others, the fact of the matter is that he has never been able to run a competent program on this level.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 01:55 (Ref:3797904)   #116
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The latest on Belle Isle, per Crain’s Business Detroit.

Quote:
Organizers of the Detroit Grand Prix are facing a new obstacle to bringing the event back after this year.

The site that landscape designer Piet Oudolf has chosen for the garden he's designing for Belle Isle is located where the grandstands are set up during the Grand Prix.

"If the Grand Prix continued, we obviously wouldn't be able to put a grandstand there any longer," Race Chairman Bud Denker said Thursday.
Note the organizers haven't yet submitted a proposal for 2019, though they promise to make a decision about the race's future by early June, when the race is this year.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 02:35 (Ref:3797908)   #117
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
There's going to be 5 of them in Super GT this year iirc. Looks like a good value when that's the most subscribed GT3 car in the series. Last year it came very close to winning the GT300 title in it's first year with the current car. Same thing with the Emil Frey Lexus in GT Open.

I think the team in GTD is lacking something, and the continental tires aren't any help either when it was developed mostly on Michelin's at the Nurburgring
Old 3 Feb 2018, 07:47 (Ref:3797954)   #118
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that the car Lexus was running in Super GT until 2016 was crap, but last year's car was definitely much better.

I have to say that 3GT did look better this time around at Daytona, so let's see how they fare in the next few races.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3800102)   #119
MaskedRacer
Veteran

As a result of the fuji Alonso debacle. I think a good revenge is to pull the Sebring 1500 mile race from the wec. I think imsa with the Sebring track have the power to do this still?
Old 10 Feb 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3800138)   #120
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
As a result of the fuji Alonso debacle. I think a good revenge is to pull the Sebring 1500 mile race from the wec. I think imsa with the Sebring track have the power to do this still?
I think IMSA is more professional than that. However the ACO/WEC’s Alonso love could undermine the combined event. Sebring is the third Saturday in March. Suppose the F1 schedule also starts that same weekend but Alonso still also want to race in the WEC. Does the WEC then demand that IMSA change the date for Sebring?

Based upon recent events, the answer is almost certainly yes. The answer from IMSA should be to tell the WEC to pound stand — Sebring is a very traditional race held on at a very specific time each year. The WEC then jumps ships, holding an event someplace else at a date that can accommodate Alonso's schedule and blames IMSA in general and Sebring in particular for “forcing” them to move their portion of the event.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 03:29 (Ref:3800148)   #121
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It won't happen at Sebring because Toyota doesn't own Sebring.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 03:29 (Ref:3800149)   #122
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I think IMSA is more professional than that. However the ACO/WEC’s Alonso love could undermine the combined event. Sebring is the third Saturday in March. Suppose the F1 schedule also starts that same weekend but Alonso still also want to race in the WEC. Does the WEC then demand that IMSA change the date for Sebring?

Based upon recent events, the answer is almost certainly yes. The answer from IMSA should be to tell the WEC to pound stand — Sebring is a very traditional race held on at a very specific time each year. The WEC then jumps ships, holding an event someplace else at a date that can accommodate Alonso's schedule and blames IMSA in general and Sebring in particular for “forcing” them to move their portion of the event.
That I feel is entirely possible and in fact probable knowing the FIA. And they will find out, just like the FIA not having free reign over US based series, no one in the US gives a rip about their demands. I expect this will end the international prototypes if F1 does schedule on the same weekend as Sebring 2019.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3800163)   #123
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I have yet to see the ACO DEMAND IMSA do anything on the dates. They asked for plm to be pushed up so they can have no conflict but that's not demanding. I think this reaction is overblown and it's not going to change anything in the future. Good luck telling them to "pound sand" lol
Old 10 Feb 2018, 06:19 (Ref:3800169)   #124
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
WEC is just gonna keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3800301)   #125
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That'd be a childish response to a stupid situation that the WEC has created for itself. IMSA should just take the moral high ground and not react.

WEC spent a long time ignoring P1 privateer teams and then had to go running back to them when they needed them. Lessons have not been learnt as again we're shafting the small guys to get a big one in. This will hurt WEC more than IMSA, so all IMSA need to do is shut up and let WEC cause its own problems.