Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Dec 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3871795)   #3451
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Don’t put a damper on our optimism! It’s dark when I get up anyway, until about May......
It's dark when i get up all year round
Old 21 Dec 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3871798)   #3452
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The drone thing is quite an interesting conundrum for a risk averse society.

A handful of people with a relatively inexpensive device could quite effectively close down the world's airports.

There seems to be no immediate solution to the challenge and perhaps no technology available to deal with it at all let alone in a risk free way.

I wonder how it will all unfold?
barrage balloons, they worked in the war.
Attached Thumbnails
raf_balloon_barrage_at_cardington1.jpg  
Old 21 Dec 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3871803)   #3453
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Grant, the technology is apparently available. There was a guy on the news last night who’s company makes the necessary hardware, and it is used all over the world to protect sensitive areas. Appears it’s not legal in the U.K.....

But we now hear that ‘miltary level’ security measures are in place at Gatwick, which is probably the same or similar hardware!

I was reminded, when discussing the subject this morning, that when important people like presidents, world leaders etc., are moving about, there is usually an invisible ‘bubble’ around them that jams phone or radio signals. Probably similar technology again.....
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3871839)   #3454
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
are moving about,there is usually an invisible ‘bubble’ around them that jams phone or radio signals. Probably similar technology again.....
May be its true and not available to the public yet. At the moment, most drones are either RC or programmed. Since years, they organise challenges involving programmed drones able to fly on long distances. If you want to jam the signal, you have to spot the machine or the pilot.
As to a "bauble" jamming the signals, they could learn from here!
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3871841)   #3455
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course it could just be that Father Christmas/Pere Noel has gone high-tech & is using an Amazon delivery programme o something this year.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3871842)   #3456
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gatwick closed down again!

It would seem that if the drones are flown pre-programmed, then there would be no signal from an operator to be blocked. The machine flies on it's programmed route, and when the CPU or whatever determines that the flying time is nearing it's end, it automatically returns the drone to it's programmed home/destination.

I sense that whoever is behind this criminal act has put a lot of thought into the matter. And Gatwick is not the only airport to have been affected by a drone. On a programme about Dubai's airport, it was brought to an identical standstill when a drone was sighted near to the flightpath into the airport. And like Gatwick, it happened twice in quick succession, and it appears that no culprit was found.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3871843)   #3457
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Père Noël is happy this year, most of the orders are about folding products. Like Zodiacs or dolls! Take a breathe, Père Noël!
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3871845)   #3458
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Grant, the technology is apparently available. There was a guy on the news last night who’s company makes the necessary hardware, and it is used all over the world to protect sensitive areas. Appears it’s not legal in the U.K.....

But we now hear that ‘miltary level’ security measures are in place at Gatwick, which is probably the same or similar hardware!

I was reminded, when discussing the subject this morning, that when important people like presidents, world leaders etc., are moving about, there is usually an invisible ‘bubble’ around them that jams phone or radio signals. Probably similar technology again.....
I saw an article earlier than mention the use of an Israeli developed system that the UK Army although for some reason they did not buy the zap-a-drone add on.

Apparently this was deployed and they must now believe the risk has been removed.

However I do wonder of the technology is fine on a one off deployment for a know problem or in a war zone (where the risk aversedness becomes somewhat moot!) but a little unrefined and possibly unrefinable for permanent use near a busy airport that will tend to rely upon the very same technologies the drones use for many things.

It's not like you can turn around to the travelling populace and say that the solution to the problem is that when a drone is flown the airport will be shot down and the Army gear deployed until the problem has been resolved.

Well, you can of course say that but I would think there would be "consequences".

I mean it's not like Apple or Tesla or Google who know everything about their customers at all times.

At least not yet.

DJI Drones can apparently be centrally traced and, reportedly, control can be assumed for any flying within 12 miles of a monitoring unit.

But that's just DJI brand drones (at best, assuming it applies to all models - which will not be the case for early drones).

Other manufacturers and anyone supplying the much larger commercial heavy duty units would need their own controls.

I can see some "normalisation" coming on and some rushed legislation all around the world.

Or maybe Huawei can offer an "off-the-shelf" solution via their new 5G comms networking kit .... ?
Old 21 Dec 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3871847)   #3459
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The drone question is serious, for instance Roissy airport near Paris is under the threat. UTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0V7kp-xg0

The main supplier DJI reports struggling against pirates with a special built in program hidden inside the GPS system. The real problem is that many are home made, quadrimotors or more, with some genius programming their machines, often just for fun. Not always. We have a regulation here too, but the authorities are always at least standing one step below…
Have a look to the Mavic Pro 2 performances…
Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3871850)   #3460
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well as a last resort they should just cut the power to everyone within 50 miles of Gatwick so the perpetrator(s) has no facility for re-charging the drone's batteries!

That should fix it ...

Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3871853)   #3461
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to the absolutely useless Secretary of State for Transport when interviewed on the radio this morning, Heathrow and possibly some other major UK airports had already installed some device/s that would stop or hinder a drone "attack" such as this one.

However, Gatwick, for whatever reason - probably cost - decided not to follow suit. I bet after this little episode that they will come to regret that decision.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3871866)   #3462
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The drone thing is quite an interesting conundrum for a risk averse society.

A handful of people with a relatively inexpensive device could quite effectively close down the world's airports.

There seems to be no immediate solution to the challenge and perhaps no technology available to deal with it at all let alone in a risk free way.

I wonder how it will all unfold?
It's not me, I can't fly and control mine from over a thousand miles away
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2018, 21:56 (Ref:3871885)   #3463
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It's not me, I can't fly and control mine from over a thousand miles away
I bet you’re glad you are a thousand miles away at the moment!

As you say Mike, it will no doubt be the usual locking of the stable door after the horse has bolted. I also heard that Dubai had been targeted more than once in the past, so it’s not a ‘new’ thing.......
Old 22 Dec 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3871923)   #3464
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Alas, not a new thing you're right Mike. Each "season" bring its novelties, yesterday it was laser. Dont "plane" to run out of stock, we have a lot of devious gonzos around.
Non, mon Ami Robert, dont even dream about the EU leaving your continent will fix that.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3871952)   #3465
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gerard Mon Ami, I wandered (blundered) into the F1 section recently, and Oh! What a mistake it was. A severe shortage of festive spirit there. No appreciation of irony at all, and some very sensitive souls who have little time for anyone who might attempt to raise a smile.

It is good to return here where everyone is so friendly, in the F1 bit I suffered insult, abuse, harsh criticism, and all kinds of calumny against me. Thank goodness that doesn't happen on the Historic thread. ()

(Yeah! You know who I'm talking about.)
Old 22 Dec 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3871958)   #3466
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Yeah! You know who I'm talking about.
Think I have a clue… The strangest is that the warning about the thread you refer to is crystal clear but why people are so sensitive? I'm so glad that at last, you realize that its EU leaving your continent and not the contrary. Good boy.
You know what, Ami Robert? I love you! Serious. Are you married
Old 22 Dec 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3872019)   #3467
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on the 917-005 that Joe Twyman raced at LMC .I heard it had a bad crash and was possibly unrepairable.That would be a huge shame as I believe its an original one.Any news?
Old 22 Dec 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3872030)   #3468
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other week my class/group was looking at Rotary and were shown a vid of a 787b 😃😃.I got very excited.Never seen one in the flesh though.

Oh and bye the way if isn't too early (never to early) merry christmas and happy blooming new year.I used to love reading this cartoon father christmas childrens book which was a santa who hated xmas.Anyway enough of me rabbling on.Hope all goes well next year (including myself not getting to carried away with food,historics and this forum.
Old 22 Dec 2018, 22:51 (Ref:3872036)   #3469
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember the 787 at Le Mans. It's marvellous through the medium of video for just a few seconds but for 24 hours it was blooming tedious! One year they fitted a new engine the day before and spent Friday night running the damned thing in up and down the airfield runway. The noise was horrendous to those of us camping nearby!

So what does MiniMM end up with as his road car? An RX8 of course

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Dec 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3872057)   #3470
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
So what does MiniMM end up with as his road car? An RX8 of course
Great choice, happy revver, original body design and last but not least, the chassis is really sport oriented. This car maker works hard on the chassis settings, for instance not all the MX5 models have the same depending on the version.
In historics the Miata cup is new for us, only the NA model can be used in almost original trim. Great success, happy drivers discovering door to door racing and reliability. Single negative point you have to cope with a rather modest power to weight ratio. Low torque, few "mussels" and no 6 pack to be found under the bonnet!
Old 23 Dec 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3872058)   #3471
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Think I have a clue… The strangest is that the warning about the thread you refer to is crystal clear but why people are so sensitive? I'm so glad that at last, you realize that its EU leaving your continent and not the contrary. Good boy.
You know what, Ami Robert? I love you! Serious. Are you married
Merci, Gerard. 58 years, anyway my mother warned me never marry a Frenchman, they eat garlic sausage. Is the position of mistress open?

As the EU prepares to leave the British Empire we wish La Belle France Bon Chance, and the other 26 member states a sailors farewell.

Midgie! Personally I would never drive a Jap car, of any persuasion. A personal bias against little yellow men.

I am hoping for a restful Christmas Eve, as last year I was woken at 3,0am by my neighbour shouting out of his window;

"I don't care who you are, get those reindeer off my roof."
Old 23 Dec 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3872062)   #3472
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm I'm going to have to change my screen name....I've nothing to do with those delightful little cars any more and I could never, ever be described as "Midgie"

I look at the RX8 as more of a grand tourer Gerard. I lived with it for a couple of days when The Boy had my Volvo estate, great fun but it doesn't barrel in to the corners. It's quite big and heavy. But those revs!

Bauble I think this household will be anathema to you. Mrs MM has a German car, MiniMM has a Japanese one. Thank goodness mine is neutral Swedish (Ah but all our karts are Italian. Whoops!)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Dec 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3872063)   #3473
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Is the position of mistress open?
But of course, bauble, please be my guest! And prepare yourself to a great bang for the buck…
Do you know why the rooster what chosen as French emblem? Big mouth, no teeth but able to shout loudly even with the feet in deep s...!
I guess you are careful with your pics, its no that easy to spot the difference between a Seven and a Dixi. Or Rosengart. And no more picture of a Bristol engine, please…

Certainly right about the RX8, midget, its revs like heck working like a good 2-Stroke engine. Hence fuel and oil consumption…
Old 23 Dec 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3872066)   #3474
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Droning On and On

Phew, well that was interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

We generally only see stranded passengers and crowded terminals and stories about cancelled flights and the plight of those people. Obviously the MSM isn't going to go into detail as to why these things happen because then it wouldn't be so sensational.

So, if anyone is interested this is why the chaos occurs and what the airlines have to do.

When I awoke on Friday morning in Tirana there was no time showing for my flight although Tripit and Google were showing "on time". As the morning wore on my flight went from on time to 40mins delay to 5 hrs delay. So, I phoned a very nice lady in Romania (the nearest BA rep for Albania) and she told me that I should go to the airport at the usual time for check in (13:50hrs) and to allow for any aditional passenger issues. "Oh and by the way, the delay is now 2 hrs."

I got to the airport at the appointed time to find the desk devoid of queues and so was in the lounge within about 15mins of arriving at the airport. At this time my flight was showing 30mins delay.

We boarded 30mins late and all was well; later, we heard the pilot tell us 20mins to landing and buckled up. He then came back on to say that Gatwick had just closed and due to our position on the list, we couldn't go to Bristol or Stanstead, the preferred options, but had to land at Manchester.

Once on stand they told us we would have to await instructions. Of course some people actiually lived in Manchester and wanted to get off. This is where is gets interesting because if the manifest says Gatwick, the border guards and customs will not be prepared to take passengers from another route unless it is a medical or safety emergency. Also even if you say you only have hand baggage, the other passengers would need to get off the plane and identify their hold baggage since it is against the law (after Lockerbie) to carry a bag without it's associated passenger. All of this would have taken at least two hours to execute. Then there was the contractual requirement for BA to get its passengers to their allotted destination (Gatwick).

So, we sat on board whilst the aircraft was re fuelled and since Gatwick had re opened they took us back and we landed around 10pm (approx 4.5hrs late). I was quite surprised at how quiet it was considering around ten aircraft had all landed in the short time we were in the area.

But, to tell the truth I was lucky because had the situation been worse I could have ended up in Schipol or Charles De Gaulle a lot further away from home. And if we had disembarked at Manchester I could have caught the train back to Milton Keynes.

The Crew were exemplary and club or coach class, we were all treated equally and served whatever refreshments were available, but no alcohol for obvious reasons.

So, that's the view from the passenger side. I was fortunate in keeping my booking and getting home. My sympathies to all those who may have lost their holidays and/or missed flights home, but some things are impossible to resolve. In my case I had some alternative routes I could have booked and cancelled/rescheduled my current flight.
Old 23 Dec 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3872067)   #3475
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No teasing here (for once!) but one of my favorite Japanese car is the Fairlady 2000 roadster, SRL311 in other words. "Unfairly" described as the Japanese MG B. Comparison point-to-point gives the TR an engine advantage, MG B's chassis stiffness is better but all in all I find the Fairly better and many things were standard like heating system and soft top. Fitted with the special perf' kit, carbs, camshaft and more it represents the best choice of its era IMHO. Only the Giulietta Spider could compete, special thanks to its braking system and cornering abilities.
Hope we can talk friendly, this is not a F1, and not Zero against Messerschmidt!