Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 17 Jun 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3551609)   #1
speedmunk
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
speedmunk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found a BMW, don't want to go through buyer's remorse

Before anything else, I drive a 2003 Honda. I bought it brand new more than 10 years ago, and while it's still in great working condition, I think it's time for a change, and I am planning to replace it with an equally beautiful 2004 BMW 325xi I found on the internet. Owning a BMW is almost a dream come true for me. I've lived in Sweden until I graduated from college, and I remember seeing these pimped out BMW's during Mellannorrlands BF season (that's Motorsports season for us). I'm excited-- absolutely stoked-- to have a BMW in my parking garage, but of course, before I fork over my hard-earned money, I just want to make sure I won't be experiencing buyer's remorse.

That being said, what are some realistic and MAJOR problems that I may face with a 10-year old BMW? I'd appreciate all answers, thanks!~
Old 17 Jun 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3551683)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a 10 year old BMW, 2005 320D.

I love it. Had it for 5 years now, one early gearbox problem sorted by the dealers (mainly caused by it sitting on their forecourt for about 9 months before I bought it) otherwise no problems. Before that I had a 316i which I owned for 10 years , also 5 years old when I bought it and that caused me no major problems through it's life.

The main risk is holding on to your licence because you're having too much fun on slippy roads!
Old 18 Jun 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3551966)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never heard anything but good things about the E46 3 series but they are getting old and I find with all german cars when maintenance starts to slide that triggers major catastrophic repair bills that are often worth more than the car itself. If the car has been taken care of in the past with problems fixed quickly and you are willing to invest in preventative maintenance every year, you will probably do OK.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 17:32 (Ref:3552484)   #4
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I've never heard anything but good things about the E46 3 series but they are getting old and I find with all german cars when maintenance starts to slide that triggers major catastrophic repair bills that are often worth more than the car itself. If the car has been taken care of in the past with problems fixed quickly and you are willing to invest in preventative maintenance every year, you will probably do OK.
Results may become even more catastrophic when you upgrade to 5 or 7 Series. The thing is, clunking sound may go away by turning up the radio volume, but the problem underneath doesn't.

One advice I could give to Mr/Ms speedmunk is - if you buy directly from the owner - to ask how long has he/she owned the car and why selling it. If the answer is "I've had it only a month but I'm moving to Abu Dhabi/getting a company car" then stay away and go to the next car.

There are always other cars available, so don't pick up the first one if there's too clearly something wrong.