Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Oct 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2977430)   #1
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 driver line-up

Up to date, the following drivers have been confirmed by their respective manufactures:

Audi:
- -

BMW:
- Farfus
- Priaulx
- Spengler

Mercedes:
- Paffett
- Schumacher

I think that Tomczyk will surely stay with Audi. Any other rumours regarding the 2012 line-up?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2977448)   #2
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far several drivers have been testing for BMW, I think Dirk Müller, Dirk Werner, Jörg Müller, Richie Stanaway, Rene Rast, JK Vernay. At least one of the three free spots should go to a young driver, and according to rumours Vernay was the most impressive. Werner drove the BMW car at the presentation so he could be likely as well.

Audi could enter 6 or 8 cars, it's looking good for 8 cars. Tomczyk could return but who knows, maybe BMW or Mercedes give him a better offer? Arno Zensen (Rosberg) is said to be very happy with Albuquerque and Mortara, and Molina has probably saved his job in the last three races. Rahel Frey should continue, I can only hope it's not true. Rocky will return as long as he is not full-time in the WEC. Jarvis could be out.

Mercedes (8 cars) has a problem now that Spengler is gone and Paffett is out of form. Green, Vietoris and Wolff should return, Coulthard if he wants to. Not sure about Engel and van der Zande. Merhi has tested, but it was a price for his F3 performance. Maybe he will do a double program of GP2 and DTM, but this is pure speculation.

There were also rumours about Sutil and Heidfeld joining DTM if their F1 hopes don't fulfill. Heidfeld has a good history with BMW, but Mercedes is also known for signing ex-F1 drivers. Audi has learned from Frentzen that they should better stick with young, talented drivers.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 04:10 (Ref:2977479)   #3
kober
Racer

Great to hear that both Audi and Merc are planning to put eight cars on the grid; obviously 22 is much better than 18 I was under impression that three two-car teams per manufacturer was a firm agreement for 2012, but in such a situation it is good to be proved wrong.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2977512)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
There is no doubt than Audi's DTM champions (Ekström, Tomczyk, Scheider) will return. Rockenfeller will indeed depend on the WEC line-up and Jarvis has disappointed ever since he got the Abt seat. The two rookies (Mortara, Albuquerque) did a very good job.

BTW Marco Wittmann, Laurens Vanthoor and Daniel Abt will receive a testing opportunity in an Audi DTM vehicle as a reward for their performance in the F3 Euro Series.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2978488)   #5
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't know what to think if Richie got the seat!
Old 1 Nov 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2980261)   #6
jeanalesi64
Rookie

jeanalesi64 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Roberto Merhi and Daniel Juncadella did test with Mercedes, but also Felix Rosenqvist and Klaus Bachler did. Would be interesting to hear more detailed info about the test..
Old 21 Nov 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2989529)   #7
Mockenrue
Racer

United Kingdom
Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
Mockenrue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomczyk to leave Audi

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...tlichkeit.html
Old 21 Nov 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2989677)   #8
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently he's heading to BMW:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96371
Old 21 Nov 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2989681)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
BMW aren't messing about are they? That's a strong looking driver lineup they've got (and the number 1 on one their cars )

Interestingly that Autosport article also mentions that Audi are capping their 2012 entry at 7 cars - I thought it was only going to be 6 from each manufacturer?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2990798)   #10
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not a conspiracy theory fan but remember what Ullrich said that he had always thought that Martin is strong and tallented pilot. And despite that Audi boss moves Mr. Herman's son to a semiworks team. And suddenly Tomczyk delivers an amazing result, beating the opposition totaly.
All in all, I think it was a king for a day, and BMW only needed #1 at the hood.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2991370)   #11
Frosty11
Rookie

Frosty11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I think:
BMW:
Spengler
Priaulx
Farfus
Tomczyk
Vernay
Rast

Mercedes:
Paffett
Schumacher
Vietoris(GP2 and DTM)
Green
Wolff
Coulthard
Van Der Zande
Mehri (GP2 and DTM)

Audi:
Albuquerque
Mortara
Molina
Rockenfeller
Frey
?????
?????
Old 26 Nov 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2991560)   #12
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty11 View Post
Vietoris(GP2 and DTM)
I'm pretty sure Vietoris said somewhere he wanted to drop GP2 and focus on DTM only - I belive it was in Autosport.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2991617)   #13
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty11 View Post
Audi:
Albuquerque
Mortara
Molina
Rockenfeller
Frey
?????
?????
Scheider and Ekström are in, and italiaracing reports that Marco Wittmann is likely to join Audi as well. Maybe Rockenfeller (or maybe even Albuquerque) gets more involved in the sportscar program.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2991639)   #14
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Autosport Rocky has said he's likely to forget sportcars for a little while to focus on DTM with Audi as the WEC and DTM calenders clash a few times next year.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2991802)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
BMW aren't messing about are they? That's a strong looking driver lineup they've got (and the number 1 on one their cars )
Nice move indeed-they get the champ and the no.1 on the car before it even races...
Old 29 Nov 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2993049)   #16
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are rumours that Romain Grosjean might go to DTM, now that Lotus-Renault has signed Kimi Raikkonen and will keep either Petrov or Senna. Hm, from being GP2-Champion to being a works driver for BMW...I don't know what to think of.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2993281)   #17
kober
Racer

The current (confirmed) line-up looks like the following:

Audi (7 cars):
- Ekstrom
- Scheider
- Frey

BMW (6):
- Farfus
- Priaulx
- Spengler
- Tomczyk

Mercedes (8?):
- Paffett
- Schumacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
I think that Tomczyk will surely stay with Audi.
I stand corrected
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:08 (Ref:2993285)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
There are rumours that Romain Grosjean might go to DTM, now that Lotus-Renault has signed Kimi Raikkonen and will keep either Petrov or Senna. Hm, from being GP2-Champion to being a works driver for BMW...I don't know what to think of.
Well, if you can't make it to F1, DTM is surely one of the better payed drives in the business and if you are good you can do it for quite a while, so that might not be the worst move he could make...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2993992)   #19
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be a sad waste of a career IMO.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2993999)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
It worked for Di Resta (not so much for Paffet and Green though). DTM with Mercedes looks to be good for getting F1 testing roles, DTM with Audi is good for sportscars and I guess the same is true of BMW if they continue with their GT programs. If you can't get an F1 drive then DTM is a pretty good fallback, Grosjean has already done multiple GP2 seasons so he has nothing to gain by staying where he is.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2994028)   #21
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It would be the best alternative to F1. Being a factory driver in DTM, LeMans or international endurance racing in general I think is the next best thing?
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2994059)   #22
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
It would be the best alternative to F1. Being a factory driver in DTM, LeMans or international endurance racing in general I think is the next best thing?
Yeah I think you're right there. Martin Brundle pointed out that with the predominant feeder series to F1 there are many very talented racers who are at the top of their game but the final step to F1 is blocked due to various reasons. It is frustrating as many of those drivers just take up reserve/test driver roles for a long time before they can get a seat.

There seems to be 2 options for them, either join a team as a reserve driver, show your support for the team etc. and hope to get a seat. Or they could go to series like you mentioned DTM, Le Mans, WSC etc. and actually race while you can't do F1 and see if you can get an F1 drive further down the line. The problem with that is you may miss out as you would not be as involved with the team as if you stayed at the team as a reserve. As a result another young driver might come to the team and be promoted due to your absence. Mind you Paul di Resta got a drive for Force India by showing his high value in DTM.

One of the examples who I would think of would be Nico Hulkenburg. He was a reserve driver for Force India this year where he just did Friday Practices and otherwise just looked really bored whenever he was around the paddock. He had to make the decision whether to stay with Force India and hope they would give him a drive for the next season or go racing elsewhere in the meantime. I can understand why most young racers from GP2 want to stay as reserve drivers as they do not want to take 'their eyes off the ball'.

It is a predicament but with an influx with young and hungry drivers then surely it must be good from DTM and WSC etc. as they may get a few of those very talented individuals.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2994062)   #23
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
In endurance racing, you can win Le Mans. In the states, Indy 500. Australia has Bathurst. The DTM is just a title and a paycheck. Aside from a list of champions from a series long dead there is nothing here. No passion, no tradition, no character, no action. I hope the new cars are a step forward but they have a long, long way to go.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2994068)   #24
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
The current (confirmed) line-up looks like the following:

Audi (7 cars):
- Ekstrom
- Scheider
- Frey

BMW (6):
- Farfus
- Priaulx
- Spengler
- Tomczyk

Mercedes (8?):
- Paffett
- Schumacher

I stand corrected
BMW seem to have a stellar line up! Audi's squad looks a bit depleted now somehow. And why do they still have Frey?!!!
Old 2 Dec 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2994188)   #25
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The DTM is just a title and a paycheck. Aside from a list of champions from a series long dead there is nothing here. No passion, no tradition, no character, no action. I hope the new cars are a step forward but they have a long, long way to go.
Succes at Audi opens the door to LeMans, BMW the same, and Mercedes has multiple F1 teams to influence. While I agree on your description of DTM I don't agree on that there's nothing to win.