Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3780918)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
My god these things are real pub anoraky stuff. Love it!

My take starting in 2003....
Montoya wins the 03 title despite Ferrari whinging about tyres and decides to stay at Williams instead of signing for McLaren...

Williams decide not to develop a walrus nose and stick with developing the fw25 base concept further and Montoya again challenges for the 04 title but cannot halt the Ferrari.

DC gets a stay of execution at McLaren until the end of '05 before Hamilton gets signed alongside Kimi who rejects an offer from Ferrari because.... McLaren erase reliability issues of the MP4/20 which goes onto blitz the field 1-2 in 2006

Kubica has signed to replace the retiring Schumacher alongside Massa and runs the McLaren's close in a great season long scrap for 3rd with JPM.

Vettel is promoted to Williams BMW alongside Montoya in 2007 who make another enormous effort with engines to get back to the front....

At the end of 2008, Honda streamline their operations and decide to support the more cost effective Super Aguri effort with it's strange and interesting 'double diffuser' concept.... This leads to an amazing 2009 season....with Button and Davidson finishing 1-2 in the title race.

Also in '09 Brendon Hartley moves up from Toro Rosso to partner Webber at Red Bull going on to win his first title in 2011. Webber then retires and in comes Alonso after Renault decide to pull the plug....
Yes, I would have rather seen that end to the 2003 season, instead of the Williams and McLaren momentum being spoiled by sore losers
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3780968)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You knew this off the top of your head? That's facinating. I had no idea the big guy was into chick flicks.

And, ohh, it means crossroads. Got it!
Way too many years working at a video store, don't think I've even seen clips of it
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3781026)   #28
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have time to research all of the specifics to make it sound good, but in general...

* Around 2008 +/- Budget caps are put in place and Ferrari's veto is struck down in the courts.
* Ferrari and a few other manufactures leave the sport (somewhat in disagreement with caps, and loss of veto, some due to recession and it is just good timing to get out)
* Ferrari and someone else (maybe Renault in a post crash gate scenario) create a breakaway series.
* Cosworth and at least one other independent engine supplier create customer engines for the main F1 series
* Teams like McLaren, Williams, etc. become backbone for F1 which becomes successful post large manufacture involvement.
* Budget caps work. Smaller teams join and survive.
* Break away manufacture series eventually fails due to various problems (they fight amongst themselves on how to run the series, small number of teams, top drivers don't migrate to the series, races don't actually generate good racing, etc.)

Richard
Old 18 Nov 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3781152)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't have time to research all of the specifics to make it sound good, but in general...

* Around 2008 +/- Budget caps are put in place and Ferrari's veto is struck down in the courts.
* Ferrari and a few other manufactures leave the sport (somewhat in disagreement with caps, and loss of veto, some due to recession and it is just good timing to get out)
* Ferrari and someone else (maybe Renault in a post crash gate scenario) create a breakaway series.
* Cosworth and at least one other independent engine supplier create customer engines for the main F1 series
* Teams like McLaren, Williams, etc. become backbone for F1 which becomes successful post large manufacture involvement.
* Budget caps work. Smaller teams join and survive.
* Break away manufacture series eventually fails due to various problems (they fight amongst themselves on how to run the series, small number of teams, top drivers don't migrate to the series, races don't actually generate good racing, etc.)

Richard
Epic Richard!

+

* Manufacturers gradually come crawling back into F1 to gain exposure to the good racing and healthy fan base.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3781438)   #30
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I still don't see theres enough room on an F1 car to have sliding doors....
Old 22 Nov 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3864986)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm going back to the mid-late 70's...

Having completed a successful test at Paul Ricard, Embassy Hill racing return home a day earlier than planned in Nov 1975..

The team goes on to record it's first victories in 1976 with Tony Brise continually challenging Lauda and Hunt through the season. Both Ferrari and McLaren go on record as saying the Hill team is now a clear threat for title honours in 1977.

Tom Pryce makes a brilliant comeback drive at Kyalami '77 to net a podium and is a constant nuisance to Ferrari, McLaren for the rest of the year. Pryce and Brise engage in some of the best dices seen in F1 in their battle to be best of the rest.

There is a massive party as Pryce, Brise and Hunt fill the podium at the British GP. Debutant. Gilles Villeneuve challenges in a 3rd McLaren and after continuing to impress in selected races for the rest of the year, is signed full time alongside Hunt for 1978....

After the strange 'nearly' swap with Ronnie Peterson and in 1976,
Lotus once again make it known they are interested in signing Pryce for 1978 and the deal is announced in October where he will be number 2 for the season to.... Ronnie Peterson.

Mario decides to join Ferrari alongside Lauda as joint No.1 much to Niki's chagrin

Alan Jones replaces Pryce at Shadow for '78 with Reutemann and Regazzoni lining up for Williams, although both on 1 year deals...

The opening round of 1978 is a belter........

Anyone wish to take over from here?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3864995)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would have been very interesting to see how that new Hill car went in 76. Could so easily have been the making of Brise.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3868730)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It would have been very interesting to see how that new Hill car went in 76. Could so easily have been the making of Brise.
Brise was seriously good according to most accounts?

Pryce as quick but bit wild, very much like Gilles and Bellof I reckon?
Old 8 Dec 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3868754)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t know if Pryce threw it off that many times. Certainly drivers in less than perfect cars tend to give it more
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3869957)   #35
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alesi honouring his pre-contract with Williams for 91 would have been interesting;

Mansell and Hill would never have been World Champions as neither would have driven for Williams (in the 90's). Patrese would have been retained until they could get Senna in for likely 93 if not 92.

Alesi would be winning races so France happy and no need for Prost - who probably would have gone back to McLaren or retired.

Senna would likely not have been killed in '94 - he would have had input into the FW16 and it be more to his liking and less nervous at the start of 94.

Senna would have been a 5 to 9 time champ with potentially close to 100 victories - conceivably he could have won 92 - 97 inclusive assuming the passion remained. He would have been 38 in '97 so not old. He could go to Ferrari then as he always wanted to. And the Ferrari's from 97 onwards weren't bad....

I'm assuming Alesi would have won races but not Championships if paired with Senna. The 91 Williams took a while to get going and finished weakly v the McLaren. JV may still have come in for 96 but be thrashed by Senna and disappear before BAR arrived...
Old 13 Dec 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3870083)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Like it Graz!!

I reckon Alesi had it in him if he had a reliable quick car.

In addition to Senna, he would probably have been up against Herbert and Donnelly in '91 & '92 had both those drivers careers proceeded as looked clear prior to their accidents. Herbert would probably be in the other Williams, Senna at Mclaren, Donnelly possibly in one of the Benetton's with his Camel backing.

Going back another 10 years. What could have happened if Gilles moved to McLaren in 1983 as had been rumoured?

I think that be would have left after the Pironi nonsense anyway.

Mind you had he lived and stayed and Pironi had not been injured going on to win the '82 title, we might have seen a brilliant scrap for the '83 title between them as i am convinced that the '83 Ferrari was the best car evidenced by the constructors title.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3870234)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

I remember Autosport once did a what if story about Gilles going to McLaren for 83. Certainly Villeneuve could so easily have been champ in 82 and would have probably added to more in his TAG Porsche McLaren
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3871602)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I remember Autosport once did a what if story about Gilles going to McLaren for 83. Certainly Villeneuve could so easily have been champ in 82 and would have probably added to more in his TAG Porsche McLaren
As much as he was a hero of mine and one of the fastest guys around, period, if he was starting to get trouble from Pironi, Prost would raise that to a whole new level!

Then again, Gilles would probably have been the one replacing Watson and not Prost?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3871604)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

Probably. Niki would no doubt have stayed, so Wattie would have to have left. Autosport reckoned Prost would have replaced Our Nige at Lotus after being dropped by Renault
Old 20 Dec 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3871609)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Probably. Niki would no doubt have stayed, so Wattie would have to have left. Autosport reckoned Prost would have replaced Our Nige at Lotus after being dropped by Renault
Hmm, Marlboro replacing JPS?!

Maybe they would have got extra Regie support if he went there though?

Mansell would have gone to where in '84, presumably to Williams a year earlier than he actually did?
Old 20 Dec 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3871643)   #41
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
As much as he was a hero of mine and one of the fastest guys around, period, if he was starting to get trouble from Pironi, Prost would raise that to a whole new level!

Then again, Gilles would probably have been the one replacing Watson and not Prost?
No, he just was too naive believing Pironi would actually follow team orders.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3871707)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Hmm, Marlboro replacing JPS?!

Maybe they would have got extra Regie support if he went there though?

Mansell would have gone to where in '84, presumably to Williams a year earlier than he actually did?

I don’t know where you got the idea that Marlboro replacing JPS, as Prost was never Marlboro backed AFAIK

Mansell probably would have been left on the sidelines, Peter Warr would have been more than happy to drop him
Old 21 Dec 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3871823)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I don’t know where you got the idea that Marlboro replacing JPS, as Prost was never Marlboro backed AFAIK

Mansell probably would have been left on the sidelines, Peter Warr would have been more than happy to drop him
I know what you mean, but Prost was a Marlboro supported driver as soon as he got into F1 with McLaren in 1980, He still had sponsorship at Renault. The only time he didn't was at the end when he returned for his 4th title season with Williams who were of course Camel backed at the time.

He was/had become their top driver in F1 by 1983 alongside Rosberg even though Wattie and Lauda were in their 'official' team at McLaren.

What would have been interesting is how the tobacco money politics would have played out if he did join Lotus who had been JPS's team for yonks. Would Marlboro have insisted on continuing to sponsor him and if so how would Lotus have handled JPS who were their major sponsor.

Mind you Senna had Marlboro in '84 and then joined Lotus so you're probably right, it wouldn't have mattered!
Old 21 Dec 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3871824)   #44
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
No, he just was too naive believing Pironi would actually follow team orders.
Yes, he was a bit, but Pironi was getting stronger? I'm not saying Pironi was a better driver, he certainly wasn't as quick but he was clearly very calculating.

Prost was a level above Didier in talent and calculating!. Gilles and Prost were great mates but Prost was always a good player behind the scenes!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3871985)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

Pironi, certainly he seemed to be on top of the world when he had his accident. Who knows what he could have achieved
Old 4 Jan 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3874024)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Pironi was one of my fav drivers when I was little but ironically that's before I found out about Gilles who quickly gaimed hero status for me when I read up on his exploits.
Like you say Didier was on the up in '82. He was certainly getting closer to GV.
I guess we'll never know if Gilles could have beaten him to the title that year but I am convinced that either of them would have won it in '83 because the C2B and C3 were arguably better chassis than the Renault and Brabhams. Good enough to take the constructors even if the actual '83 drivers weren't on Piquet or Prost level.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3874121)   #47
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
something i’ve been thinking about... let’s say senna had lived. and let’s say he found himself in an alonso type situation, where he’s stuck driving a car that’s more useful as an ornament.

how would he have handled it, do we think? i can’t work out if he’d have done an alonso and burnt bridges left right and centre, thrown public wobblies and stuck it out until he lost patience or just straight walked out and retired mid-season?
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3874125)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's a fair bet Senna wouldn't have thought his F1 career complete without going to Ferrari, no matter what it's competiveness
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3874138)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think he'd have just walked, personally. I'm not so certain that Senna was that keen on driving a Ferrari - he just wanted to drive whatever the best car was at the time. He was driven to win, not by the emotion of sitting in a red car..... Having said that, I firmly believe that he would have made the Williams a Schumacher-beater by mid season.....
Old 5 Jan 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3874143)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

According to those close to him, Senna did have a desire to drive for Ferrari. So it would probably have happened and the Ferrari fans would have welcomed him