Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 15 Aug 2002, 10:53 (Ref:358228)   #1
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Look Autosport

I really don't like it. The font is nasty and it's all set out so wrong. They've made a big mistake here. I can see myself switching to Motorsport News.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:03 (Ref:358234)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im not so sure...

Autosport seem to give the magazine a change of appearance every 5 years or so , and everytime they change it i feel i dont like it ,but after a few weeks and im quite happy with it again . So i expect i will be used to it in a few weeks time . But this time , theyve made the page sizes bigger which seems a little strange .

They National Racing section looks better in this new format also .

So im kind of happy with it .

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Aug 2002 at 11:04.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:19 (Ref:358239)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport Reacts!

Just viewed the latest edition in the newsagent.. seems that the club section has grown out of all recognition!! Wonder whether this is directly related to In Gear Motorsport??
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:21 (Ref:358242)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like you Sato san I'm not too sure at the moment but once I get used to it i'm sure it will be fine. I won't change from such a great mag just because of the way it looks!!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:23 (Ref:358245)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
But this time , theyve made the page sizes bigger which seems a little strange .

i had not noticed that until i just checked-going to make my 2002 pile look untidy.
What they have not done is add more race results either national or international
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:28 (Ref:358250)   #6
Vatanen
Racer

The race results have gone downhill. With the exception of F1, they show the top 10 and then the rest of the results are all a mess.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:29 (Ref:358252)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure the news bit is any bigger, but it appears that the race reports are a bit longer (apart from the results bit).

Excuse my cynicism, but maybe they have made a bit more of an effort for the first edition of their new look!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:45 (Ref:358265)   #8
Vatanen
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I'm not sure the news bit is any bigger, but it appears that the race reports are a bit longer
No, it's just the pages are wider.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 12:08 (Ref:358275)   #9
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the website requests you to log in to check the news!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 13:06 (Ref:358326)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a peak at one in a shop today as mine hasn't dropped through the letter box yet. I quite like it, it's a fresh look from the old one which I think I was getting tired with...the font's more like a newspaper font now...
Old 15 Aug 2002, 15:21 (Ref:358394)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think they're much longer to be honest - still filling the same shapes on a wider page. Remember, there wasn't much on at the weekend, hence more space per meeting.

Does anyway actually like the new 'look' - it appears quite a bit 'cheaper' to me...
Old 15 Aug 2002, 15:25 (Ref:358398)   #12
Vatanen
Racer

It'll take a long time to grow on me I think. At least when it's been revamped in the past, they've kept the same font. But this one's totally different.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 15:50 (Ref:358418)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No real problems with it, as it goes, except that I'll bet they will have complaints from binder buyers.

Yet again, Haymarket have changed the the dimensions of a magazine right in the middle of a volume. They did it with Autocar, they did it with Motor Sport, and now Autosport changes format on volume 158 number 8!

Note to Haymarket. It's track records like this that stop people like me buying extras such as binders to go with your magazines.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:29 (Ref:358436)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Overall I don't mind it. At first I thought that it made the editorial look like the adverts! But I got used to it and the news articles dividing lines reminds me a bit of how it was in the late eighties.

The change of size is the 'big' thing. I'm not sure it adds anything to it. It is harder to hold in one hand without it flopping! Just a gimmick and as you say bound to annoy the binders! So pointless, but I don't hate it!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:38 (Ref:358444)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it looks like theyve used a smaller font size as well. so i think the reports are longer as the page os bigger also......
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:42 (Ref:358452)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Really? I'm going to compare! In the old days (ah nostalgia) they used to have a tiny font. They re-printed an old Roebuck once and it took two 'new' pages.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 17:08 (Ref:358475)   #17
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't see it until tomorrow over here...
Old 15 Aug 2002, 18:17 (Ref:358521)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really like the new look, but its still the best motorsport magazine available.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 18:28 (Ref:358526)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey..I think its good. Especially the fact that the clubbie Snetterton report got so much space with some big photos - especially the one of Daniel in the k-sports car! Bigger photos than the TOCA support races even.
And have you read that feature on Drag Racer John Force? What a charachter! If only the Goodwood Revival was not the same weekend as the Euro drag Race finals at Santa Pod.
If you haven't been Drag Racing and are not going to Goodwood on the weejkend 7/8 Sept, try the Pod but put your fingers in your ears!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 18:47 (Ref:358546)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quite like it, it is has the feel and look of Autosport when I first started getting it about 7 years ago.

I feel and I have said this before that Autosport has gone of bit over the last couple of years, I think it started about the time that Laurance Foster lefted, now he is back at the helm it has got better.......
Old 15 Aug 2002, 19:47 (Ref:358593)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There are now five columns across the page rather than four which means it's about 10mm wider and the font has been reduced. Not sure what I think but no one likes change, do they ? We complained about how it was before so I reckon we owe it to them to see what they have come up with.

First impressions were that it contained more but I'd not noticed the change in size until it was mentioned. It does look a little more like Auto Express used to years ago and I never liked that so if I have anything bad to say it is simply that it reminds me of that!

Only one gripe - not enough BTC-P coverage!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:16 (Ref:358618)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
at the end of the day..i dont mind how it looks ...as long as it reports what i want to read properly ...

But if were talking about Autosport , then the one critism i have of it , and its nothing to do with the new look ....is that they do produce headlines that look like theyve been taken out of THE SUN newspaper....i dont want to read tabloid style headings..i just want a proper magazine to give me all my motorsport news.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:24 (Ref:358626)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah but that sells copies to the occassional fan Sato san!
When I used to advertise in Autosport, they told me that having Mansell on the front cover would sell another 20,000 copies if he had won a race or not - same with the catchy 'Sun' type headlines. It is new readers that they want - the bloke who might pick one up occessionally from the train station to start to get it every week.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:27 (Ref:358628)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
MODS...we have this exact same thread in National racing forum . do you think we can merge them together.....simple people like me get confused where to post other wise !

cheers
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:40 (Ref:358650)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
thats true i suppose , It just grates on me a tad every time i see a headline like " SCHU BEAUTY". or something like that . but yes , i can see that would appeal to the casual buyer .

In saying all that , it is only a niggle , i always look forward to Autosport being delivered through the letter box every thursday morning . I wouldnt be without it , even though i have to say that Ingear Magazine gives a better national reports that autosport does . But as i buy both , i dont really mind .

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Aug 2002 at 20:45.