Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2713336)   #1
colt513
Rookie

colt513 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highcroft/HPD going to LMP1 / Marco Werner?

So I was reading over the new regs for the 2011 season, and it seems like the current LMP2 cars would be eligible to race as LMP1's next season. Is this true?

If so, would it make sense for HPD/Highcroft to go to le mans in 2011 as an LMP1 entry, since HPD and highcroft have both expressed the desire to win the race overall.

I think this would be great becuase I have been an HPD fan since they introduced the arx 01.

I also read this interview with Marco Werner. http://www.motorsport-total.com/mehr..._10061607.html (its in german, but you can get it translated at translate.google.com.

It alludes to the fact that Werner could get a drive in a second car with highcroft.

I think it would be awesome if Werner becomes a works HPD driver and takes the trophy to honda next year.

All just speculation for now. But please clarify the new regs for me.

Thanks!

-Colt
Old 16 Jun 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2713379)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, why not check in the thread that is on the new regs?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107659

Or the HPD thread.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102029

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 16 Jun 2010 at 21:36.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2713491)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Werner would be a brilliant driver to have , in any car .

Highcroft have 2 chassis , so its not beyond the realms of the imagination to see them doing what Rebellion did . Convert them both to P1 and have a bomb proof chassis too .

Hope this happens ..... while your at it , Brabham-Franchitti-Fernendez-Werner would be a great driver line up .
Old 18 Jun 2010, 02:13 (Ref:2714095)   #4
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Werner would be a brilliant driver to have , in any car .

Highcroft have 2 chassis , so its not beyond the realms of the imagination to see them doing what Rebellion did . Convert them both to P1 and have a bomb proof chassis too .

Hope this happens ..... while your at it , Brabham-Franchitti-Fernendez-Werner would be a great driver line up .
That would be impressive but Fernandez has a 3 year link with Aston Martin as a factory shoe. Luis Diaz would be just as fast or faster, and likely only has a contract through Alex Job Racing through this year. I think Brabham/Pagenaud and Franchitti/Werner would be great. Luis could be a reserve/3rd driver.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2714135)   #5
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
That would be impressive but Fernandez has a 3 year link with Aston Martin as a factory shoe. Luis Diaz would be just as fast or faster, and likely only has a contract through Alex Job Racing through this year. I think Brabham/Pagenaud and Franchitti/Werner would be great. Luis could be a reserve/3rd driver.
But is Adrian still contracted if the Aston LMP program doesn't get "signed off on"? I can't imagine Adrian in an Aston GT2 car.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2714387)   #6
colt513
Rookie

colt513 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
But is Adrian still contracted if the Aston LMP program doesn't get "signed off on"? I can't imagine Adrian in an Aston GT2 car.

I thought it was confirmed by the prodrive boss that work has already started on Aston's 2011 LMP1 Challenger.

Also that interview stated that Marco Werner was 1 second quicker than Brabs in the HPD. Thats really impressive.

I also think that its impressive that the HPD was so quick at Le Mans compared to the LMP1's. The HPD was faster than the Drayson Lola! And we all know Emanuelle Pirro is no slouch, even if Paul Drayson is alittle slow.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2714499)   #7
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is an LMP1 on the drawing board at Aston Martin, but I don't think the board has given approval yet, and approval is pending clarification on the competitiveness of petrol powered, non-hybrids relative to hybrids and diesels.

I'm not sure the Drayson Lola ever got acclimated to the circuit. The team were dealing instability issues throughout qualifying and practice, plus an engine problem (can't remember if it was Weds or Thurs). During the race, the drivers complained of further horrible handling problems, including the car feeling as though it was bowing at the rear slowing it down in a straight line as well, and other inconveniences like smoke filling the cockpit, fumes burning the drivers eyes etc. That doesn't mean to say the HPD's weren't bullet fast, though.

Chris
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2714602)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt513 View Post

I also think that its impressive that the HPD was so quick at Le Mans compared to the LMP1's. The HPD was faster than the Drayson Lola!
Really?
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2714693)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I can see, having looked at all the timesheets, the only sessions in which the Highcroft car was faster than the Drayson car was in the first half of Thursday evening qualifying (when I think the Lola only did 7 laps) and in the race day warm-up, when the Lola only did 2 laps. Generally faster? No, I think not....... Anyhow, Strakka had Highcroft beat from the outset.....
Old 19 Jun 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2714729)   #10
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about that Aysedasi. I think that Highcroft went into their first Le Mans with a lot of respect. They paid careful attention to race setup during the week, and then ran to a pace. Had it not been for bad luck they would have been within striking distance and the fact that they had three professional drivers in the car, Sunday could have been their day quite easily. But woulda, coulda, shoulda, what happened, happened.

Chris
Old 19 Jun 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2714821)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, can't agree. From what I saw, Strakka had the race in a stranglehold from the first couple of hours. They were best part of 2/3rds of a lap ahead consistently around the 6-8 hour mark and 3 laps ahead by the halfway point by which time Highcroft could only hope for Strakka to falter. It's a long race with lots of ifs and buts, but they count for nothing in the end....
Old 20 Jun 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2715136)   #12
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brabs agreed with your take, Ayse. He told DSC after the race that it was clear from the off that Strakka had an advantage and the Highcroft car was not as good. It took them until the morning to sort their pace out, not stop running to a fixed slower pace and let loose something they always had in the bag.

I think a lot of North American observers who've watched Highcroft from their inception rate them very highly indeed and that is justified but had the net effect of underestimating the quality of Strakka's drivers and the technical team they have put together combined with the advantage of their experience with the low downforce package.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2715215)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Right on the money, IMO cmk.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2716109)   #14
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I think a lot of North American observers who've watched Highcroft from their inception rate them very highly indeed and that is justified but had the net effect of underestimating the quality of Strakka's drivers and the technical team they have put together combined with the advantage of their experience with the low downforce package.
While I don't disagree with this, I still have to rate Highcroft as the better team. But if Brabs said they weren't running to a pace, they just didn't have a handle on the car then I have to say Strakka did win the weekend, and well done to them.

Chris