Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jun 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2707387)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alpina in GT1?

Aurora racing designs is taking the BMW-Alpina B6 into GT1.

While yes, it is not a manufacturer effort, it shows GT1 still has a bit of life in it. Maybe we might see these in the World Championship and Le Mans next year.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2707561)   #2
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a bit of a surprise ! How much work will be needed to turn the gt3 to a gt1 I wonder?
Old 9 Jun 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2707587)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I highly doubt we will see it at Le Mans.

L.P.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2707632)   #4
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it does, but after pratice, we might not see it for a few years.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2707652)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not even an Alpina, per se!

L.P.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2707675)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
That is true, makes you wonder if GT1 has more in common with GT3 than GT2.

Sigh, I don't know what to think about GT1 right now after seeing them against the GT2's at Le Mans today.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2707694)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Actually, the pace of the GT1s could easily be modified by reducing the ballast and enlarging the restrictors.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2707699)   #8
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Actually the pace of the GT-1s could easily be modified, do away with them. Simple!

L.P.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2707809)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm sorry, but no.

GT1 needs to be for the evil, vicious fire breathers. The Porsche 911 is too "standard" to be a GT1. The Ferrari, either the F430 or F458, is too "clinical" to be a GT1. The GT2 Vette just doesn't have the aggressive stance to stand up against the GT1 car, and the same can be said of the V8 Vantage against the DBR9. The GT2/3 Ford GTs are just too pancaked to look right, to have the presence, and to have the right meanness quotient.

I don't know about the Spyker. The BMW M3 is more upright and more of a sedan really anyway; the same could be said of the Alpina as well. Anyway, the Veritas RS-III should put BMW power into GT1 soon enough, hopefully.

Yes, I really do prefer GT1 that much over GT2 at present, even with the Nissan such as it is not being my first pick for a GT1. It may not make sense to you, but that's just the way it is, and the factories be damned if need be.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 02:45 (Ref:2707955)   #10
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Actually the pace of the GT-1s could easily be modified, do away with them. Simple!

L.P.
Concur. That being said I would like to see an equivalent number of entries being granted to GTs in the future as to the combined classes this year. I think that supporting more variety of GT2 cars would be fine as well - if someone wants to build a competitive Ford GT or Alpina B6S or Audi R8 in GT2 spec, then good on them and it would be good to have space on the LM grid for them. What we don't need is 3 specifications that all create cars which end up having the same pace!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 03:04 (Ref:2707960)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Concur. That being said I would like to see an equivalent number of entries being granted to GTs in the future as to the combined classes this year. I think that supporting more variety of GT2 cars would be fine as well - if someone wants to build a competitive Ford GT or Alpina B6S or Audi R8 in GT2 spec, then good on them and it would be good to have space on the LM grid for them. What we don't need is 3 specifications that all create cars which end up having the same pace!
Yes, a single GT class, if expanded to the same % of the grid as this year, would be fine. It would be nice to also have a gentleman driver championship included in it also. Then adjust the P- accordingly.

L.P.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2708425)   #12
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its not even an Alpina, per se!

L.P.
What is your definition of a true Alpina? generally Alpina take a stock BMW shell add a Motorsport bottom end then re- build the head/ heads to their own spec. i.e the B3.3 s my sister has is a 330 shell with an M3 block with Alpina tuned top end.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2708478)   #13
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good. The GT1 series needs more manufacturers/groups developing cars for the class.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2708480)   #14
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alpina GT1 in Le mans??

With the new regulation for 2011 is impossible

There will not be any GT1 cars in the grid.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2708490)   #15
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Yes, a single GT class, if expanded to the same % of the grid as this year, would be fine. It would be nice to also have a gentleman driver championship included in it also. Then adjust the P- accordingly.

Well imagine that!

L.P.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2708603)   #16
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
What is your definition of a true Alpina? generally Alpina take a stock BMW shell add a Motorsport bottom end then re- build the head/ heads to their own spec. i.e the B3.3 s my sister has is a 330 shell with an M3 block with Alpina tuned top end.
I guess he ment its not Alpina that builds the race car nor will Alpina race it as they use to.