Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Mar 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3964698)   #51
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Indeed. The legal definition of ‘emergency services’ is no doubt causing some head scratching.

And are circuits or meeting organisers at liberty to employ private ‘emergency services’, and would their insurance be valid in such an eventuality?
'Paramedic' is a protected title. It is an offence to describe yourself as such unless you are registered with the HCPC.

Once you have that registration, it matters not if your day job is in the public or private sector.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 21:23 (Ref:3964705)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
'Paramedic' is a protected title. It is an offence to describe yourself as such unless you are registered with the HCPC. Once you have that registration, it matters not if your day job is in the public or private sector.
While perhaps not employed at clubbies to any extent, Police and Fire brigade personnel are usually employed in numbers at events like Goodwood MM / FoS / Revival? How would they cope without all the police traffic control, I wonder?
Old 16 Mar 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3964709)   #53
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
While perhaps not employed at clubbies to any extent, Police and Fire brigade personnel are usually employed in numbers at events like Goodwood MM / FoS / Revival? How would they cope without all the police traffic control, I wonder?
The traffic would probably flow a lot more freely!!
Old 16 Mar 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3964711)   #54
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
https://twitter.com/ourmotorsportuk/...930287619?s=19

Not sure what this is suggesting really.
The Govt didn't set a limit on the number of people and they mentioned indoor, social events. It's not obvious whether this is intended to cover lightly attended outdoor events. Perfectly logical to conclude that motor sport very much counts as "non-essential travel" of course but I can see why MSUK want a bit more clarification before deciding. The circuits and series may decide for them of course.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3964714)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All seemed pretty clear to me. They didn't specify indoors or outdoor.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:14 (Ref:3964719)   #56
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
All seemed pretty clear to me. They didn't specify indoors or outdoor.
These are the exact words used:

“Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel. We need people to start working from home where they possibly can. And you should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues,”

Indoors/outdoors not specified, but the examples given are indoors and no upper limit of numbers gathered, which is presumably why MSUK want a bit more clarity. I'm not disagreeing with your interpretation of the clear intent, just exploring why MSUK haven't immediately decided to stop all motorsport events.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3964722)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you'll find they also mentioned large gatherings or similar. There is also the issue of not supporting large gatherings. All pretty clear IMO.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:32 (Ref:3964729)   #58
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Yes, to quote from the Guardian:

'Johnson said the risk of transmission of the disease at sporting events was relatively low, "but obviously, logically, as we advise against unnecessary social contact of all kinds, it's right that we should extend that advice to mass gatherings as well".'

"Advice" is much weaker than a directive. Same goes for theatres - advice, not a ban. That means the theatre is liable for ticket refunds - if instructed to close, they would not be.

Again, I don't dispute the clear intent, but the words themselves are a little vague.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:44 (Ref:3964732)   #59
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the intent is clear, along with the statement that “medical staff will no support large gatherings from tomorrow”.
Now some will argue, I am sure, that the circuits use private medical staff but no one can seriously expect the PM to make a statement which covers every industry and every eventuality.

It’s also worth noting that plenty of individual clubs, and other sports, are cancelling events without waiting for clarification. Individual clubs are acting ahead of our own governing body.

Last edited by andy97; 16 Mar 2020 at 22:54.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 07:44 (Ref:3964775)   #60
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Yes, to quote from the Guardian:

'Johnson said the risk of transmission of the disease at sporting events was relatively low, "but obviously, logically, as we advise against unnecessary social contact of all kinds, it's right that we should extend that advice to mass gatherings as well".'

"Advice" is much weaker than a directive. Same goes for theatres - advice, not a ban. That means the theatre is liable for ticket refunds - if instructed to close, they would not be.

Again, I don't dispute the clear intent, but the words themselves are a little vague.
Government taking the route of believing business and people will do the right thing without the need to mandate, but also added when asked that the government had all the powers it needed if required.

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2020, 07:56 (Ref:3964779)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

Let’s be honest, most government directives tend to be vague!

As you observe above, and has been said in the MM thread, liability to refund customers or not depends on who cancels the event. Also, whether the organiser can claim from their business interruption insurance, presuming they have it.....
Old 17 Mar 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3964780)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
All sport has stopped, even my lads football team has suspended all matches and training . . . .thats 23 people in 7500 square metres . . . . I think we can forget driving round in circles for a while . . . unless its all closed cockpit cars and drive in drive out, no paddocks with a speed limit and only 1 marshall per post!
Old 17 Mar 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3964896)   #63
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had an email from AMOC telling me that Thursdays day @ Curborough is 'off'. No surprise.
At the moment Saturdays Javelin day @ Mallory is still happening.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 13:32 (Ref:3964898)   #64
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TOCA have postponed the first three BTCC meetings of the year.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 13:58 (Ref:3964913)   #65
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I'd like to see Motorsport UK come out and stop all motorsport. My club has cancelled all events and meetings for three months but potentially for longer. I am surprised there are a few wanting to continue.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3964918)   #66
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I'd like to see Motorsport UK come out and stop all motorsport. My club has cancelled all events and meetings for three months but potentially for longer. I am surprised there are a few wanting to continue.
Likewise, our local club has canceled its navigational 12 car road rally on Friday evening.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3964921)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Likewise, our local club has canceled its navigational 12 car road rally on Friday evening.
All Sporting Car Club of Norfolk social and competitive events cancelled or postponed until further notice....
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3964922)   #68
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC going ahead with their test day tomorrow at Snetterton. I have withdrawn; been promised a refund.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3964923)   #69
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Just this minute issued:

https://www.motorsportuk.org/motorsp...vid-19-update/

Last edited by andy97; 17 Mar 2020 at 14:24.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3964924)   #70
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had this from MUK:

Motorsport UK COVID-19 Update
It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information.

As the National Governing Body, we would ask all Motorsport UK members to act responsibly and follow the Government’s guidance during this difficult time.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:22 (Ref:3964925)   #71
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Motorsport UK have just put out an email stopping all events
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3964963)   #72
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There’s an echo!
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3964967)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What?
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3964973)   #74
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Castle Combe have cancelled all races and Action Days in March/April. I think they originally cancelled into May, but have rolled back on that. All private bookings are going ahead though (track days etc).
Old 17 Mar 2020, 18:54 (Ref:3965011)   #75
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We are still going to Brands Thursday to test. You around Gordon.