Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3331602)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Origins of the Ford and Holden V8 Engines

Hi all,
This may seem like a silly question, but I have no idea whatsoever where the current V8SC Ford and Holden engines actually come from. My reasoning behind this thread as that someone 'in the know' told me that one of the engine blocks is actually from a CAT Bulldozer!!....and I am not sure if I believe him

Can anyone tell me where these engines are actually derived from?

By that I mean the following:
  1. Origins of the block, i.e. what other vehicles would I find the block in? are they road vehicles. or are they from somewhere else? (like me mates bulldozer)
  2. Origins of the heads, once again the same criteria as above
  3. Origins of the fuel injection systems, same criteria as above
The internals don't really matter to me, as I am sure they are all aftermarket, bolt-on, go-faster bits.....although happy to be corrected on that.

On another note that may also seem silly, but I genuinely don't know, what are the bright orange and yellow stripes on the windscreen indicating? (found just under the sponsors banner). Are they some sort of scrutineering sticker?

Thank you in advance

Stu
Old 15 Nov 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3331629)   #2
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu,

Years ago the blocks for the Fords and Holdens were sourced from the US and were the same blocks used in NASCAR. I am not sure if that is still the case.

The bright yellow/orange stripes question. If you are referring to the colour tabs on the drivers right below the windscreen, they are the start pickup points for the windscreen tear offs. A bit like you fold over the end of the sticky tape on a roll, so it is easy to use next time.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3331632)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
was the original source motor what was in the road cars at the time ie the 5l v8?

sometimes those stripes can also be use to provide a difference between two similar cars. so for instance Frosty could be yellow and Will orange. Not a hard and fast rule though
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3331661)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Caterpillar did have some input along the line with the Holden engine. Whether it was with the design, or the production, I'm not sure.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3331679)   #5
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stretching the memory here, but I think the Holden block is a USA GM motorsport block that was specific for motorsport (never was in a road car) and the Ford block is a derivative of the old wheezer (Windsor) block also sourced from the US.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3331686)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The previous Chev block was a GM Performance one.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3331724)   #7
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112065
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3332733)   #8
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your help on this guys. So it basically looks to me that Ford and Holden V8's do not really have a road-going cousin, and that the engines are purely derived from racing stock.

Thanks to BR for explaining the sticker thing too....makes sense