Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 20 May 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2207239)   #26
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
werner,

sure, but on tv i didn't see that much of difference. I must reveal the truth: I find F1 races boring. In like 98% of the race nothing really happens. The cars go round the track. Sometimes a driver makes a mistake, sometimes the pit crew, sometimes cars go wrong, an occasional surprise rain every now and then - and sometimes (VERY sometimes ) there are really interesting, fantastic moments. I don't really like or feel attached to, any of the drivers. The last driver I really was a fan of was Gerhard Berger. I liked him a lot - don't ask me why. All the other drivers since - they are superb. I'm just not really interested in them. (Oh, sorry, Zsolt Baumgartner with his one and a half season with Minardi and Jordan. Never really achieved anything with those cars, of course, but, as a fellow countryman, of course I was a fan of his

I realized a long ago that I can spend those 3-4 hours much better. I watch a race every now and then, but definitely not every single one.

(and... werner, I'm afraid you still don't get my point: I was talking about how those tracks look, not how they work as tracks. I don't have to see a race to see how the tracks look, do I? )

Last edited by bio; 20 May 2008 at 11:35.
Old 21 May 2008, 06:09 (Ref:2207975)   #27
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, don;t you think you're getting off the subject? Don't get me wrong but reading all the opinions of what you think about Hockenheim was interesting

BTW I can;t post my new tracks until the weekend because I cant use the computer on school days, unless it's for "education purposes", if you catch my drift.
Old 21 May 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2208107)   #28
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats fine.

Bio-whilst the track looking good is important, surely how it works as a track is more important. This is one area where Tilke seems to fall down. The tracks that he has made to look really great like Shanghai just aren't that great as tracks, whilst those where the look of the place was important, but not as important, like Istanbul are the much better tracks, both for fun for the drivers & for overtaking.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 21 May 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2208180)   #29
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Alwaysfirst,
I wasn't trying to set priorities. You're dead right: in practice, looks is not important at all compared to "usability". And I didn't want to imply this. I'm just saying that FOR ME looks is more important.

But Wannabe is right and we're getting off subject. Which is, if i might remark, something that happens every now and then I even got other's tracks submitted in my thread - but I didn't mind, it was a good one

But, anyways, sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:47 (Ref:2208733)   #30
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Don't worry about it. It was a most interesting conversation. It would be different to do more than just submit our newest designs, especially when the tracks and so-on aren't coming "thick and fast".

BTW Bio, you were up a bit late if I understand the timezones correctly.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2208886)   #31
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yep, I was. Went to bed at about 3:30 am...
Old 23 May 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2209469)   #32
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
The 1st time I got to talk to you during school time, which was different

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 23 May 2008 at 01:24.
Old 23 May 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2209485)   #33
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
BTW

Should I (if it's possible) change my name. I don't feel exactly comfortable with it. I have a new idea for a new username, Ladiesman217 (Transformers movie)

I'm not saying I'm a laides man but I think it's funny. What ya think guys?

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 23 May 2008 at 01:57.
Old 23 May 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2209615)   #34
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btw the method of changing your username here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100185
Old 24 May 2008, 04:11 (Ref:2210164)   #35
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thanks much Mattt
Old 24 May 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2210189)   #36
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
My latest track, which I intended to be a test track of some sorts for motorbikes. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Track 1.jpg  
Old 24 May 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2210252)   #37
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I'd definitely make those bottom turns a bit bigger radius - especially if this track was meant to be for bikes.

But utherwise i like it pretty much!

bio
Old 24 May 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2210257)   #38
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thx, to be honest, when I designed the track I was quite young (12) and I made it up as I went along, including the part where I intended this track to be for motorbikes, it just sounded good at the time.
Old 24 May 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2210747)   #39
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double apex are really fun on a bike, when you clip the apexes right,it really put's a high on you!
Old 24 May 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2210809)   #40
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TW this might be one to try your hand with google sketchup with?
Old 25 May 2008, 05:04 (Ref:2210989)   #41
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Will do, SBF.
Old 25 May 2008, 05:16 (Ref:2210991)   #42
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
For my next track, I give you

Motoworld Australia. Sorry it's not too neat. I was still getting to grips with keeping the marker from ruining it. Do your thing and tell me what u think.
Attached Thumbnails
Motoworld Australia.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 25 May 2008 at 05:19.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2211072)   #43
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Apart from the triangular part down the bottom I like this one. I'd ease those two hairpins of the triangle and then even that would be great.

I like how there's an easier and a harder circuit available.

One question: is there a S/F line and a starting grid for the shorter circuit o the left?

bio
Old 25 May 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2211090)   #44
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
If you want to, you can make adjustments to it so a new S/F straight can be put in there.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2211118)   #45
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work here tilke, I especialy like that second track. Lots of interesting shapes are used too. That last tracks corners ont he bottom loop look very angular, I would make a triple apex corner like Istanbul there.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2211131)   #46
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
THX for the words of praise. When you said "that second track", which one was it? The 2nd one I posted today?

BTW Lustigon, I know your there! HA HA!!!

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 25 May 2008 at 10:56.
Old 29 May 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2214335)   #47
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
BTW

A sneak preview of things to come.....

In the future, I'm planning on posting my first Roval, which will be interesting. Also, I'm planning to post the tracks that I did back in the day first, before I show off any of my newer designs, but if you wanna see my newer designs first, you, the masses can decide, either way, they'll be up eventually.

TilkeWannabe
Old 30 May 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2215028)   #48
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Ah, who cares! Here's my new Wunstorf. It can be but over the old Wunstorf or somewhere there's an empty space around Wunstorf. It's not the best looking track that I've come up with, but I do believe that it's a great track nonetheless.

I think the old Wunstorf was set out on a old airport or something, correct me if I'm wrong, I may have to check the-fastlane.co.uk/racingcircuits on that. It would be even better if the old Wunstorf isn't still in use anymore

I dont' know if I've already said this before but if you wish to change absolutely anything on my tracks, go right ahead. Change is always welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Wunstorf.jpg  
Old 30 May 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2215067)   #49
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That last one isn't really doing it for, then again, I'm not sure what I'd change to improve it.

You had asked what the deal was with Tilke earlier. As far as the layouts themselves go, Tilke tends to be rather formulaic with very much a straight-corner-straight thing goin on oftentimes, and a number of his layouts just don't seem to flow together well.

From a plan form, the new Hockenheim and Fuji, plus Bahrain, don't have much flow to them at all. Indy doesn't really either, but it's a roval so that's not a huge surprise or let down. Shanghai as a decent flow in some places, but there are six corners that make the bottom of the circuit seem disjointed when it connects to the other portions of the circuit.

I think Sepang is alright, but since there aren't any lotus flowers around here, the overall shape has little meaning to me. I rather like the layout at Istanbul, except for how the tight Turn 9/10 complex sticks out from the rest of the course like that.

I suppose my biggest single complaint is the insane amounts of run-off that doesn't punish drivers and put everything so far from the track that it's impossible for a number of the tracks to be seen as anything other than deserts; they have no real atmosphere or soul because of that.

I love, Road America, Mosport Park, Brands Hatch, and the Nordschleife to name a few. I love Spa, but I hate most of the recent changes to it.
Old 30 May 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2215140)   #50
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Road America, or as some call it, Elkhart Lake, is one of my absolute favourite tracks in the world. Don't know much about Mosport Park, apart from when Manfred Winkelhock died in a crash there in 1985. Brands Hatch, well recently I saw Robbie Kerr drive around there in his Team GB A1GP car on autosport.com and is was breathtaking to say the least because I'd never seen an on-board lap at Brands Hatch, nor a A1GP car. Now Nordschleife on the other hand, best track of all time. I have to drive at least a few laps before I die.

With the properly Tilke tracks:

I like Sepang. I just do for some reason.

Shanghai is my favourite of them all. Turn 1 is one of my favourite corners there, or anywhere, no matter what anyone tells me. The back straight there though, MAN! that is sooo awesome! It has to be as long as the Fuji pit straight, Conrod Straight at Bathurst, and the Mistral straight at Paul Ricard.

I like Istanbul, especially turn 8, but I don't like those last 3 slow corners at the end though.

Sakhir is alright but it's a bit bland being put in the middle of the desert. If had some trees and gradients like Spa-Francorchamps or the old Hockenheim, it would be better.

The mickey mouse end bit at Fuji is . Surely Tilke could've done something better with it, but that 1.5km pit straight is the best part for me.

The new changes for 2007 at Spa are , the last chicane "thing" has surely ruined the flow of it with La Source as the first corner, the S/F straight has 2 slow corners at each end. More like Stop-start straight to me.

The Indy infield is in about every way. End of story. If there wasn't a golf course and other things restricting the amount of space for a track, it could've been a lot better. It could still be on the calendar for pity sake.

As for Hockenheim, HOCKENHEIM! Need anyone on Earth say more. I say pull out the trees and put the proper Hockenheim track in there instead.

I almost forgot, what did you think of Wunstorf, Purist of Wichita, Kansas

Thank you for letting me express my feelings through the letters of my keyboard, Purist of Wichita, Kansas.

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 30 May 2008 at 08:28.