Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Aug 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2264994)   #1
gt4v
Rookie

gt4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Slako's/Alf Barbagallo's Pink Walkinshaw Commodore - Info needed pls

I am the new owner of Tim Slako's Pink 1989 Walkinshaw.
The car competed at Wanneroo,Mallala,Sandown and Bathurst in 1989.
It has the original log book and has all its original rinning gear.

I am restoring the engine and other bits at the moment in the hope of running the car at Sandown in November.

I also have what is left of the Alf Barbagallo sister car.
I have an engine,gearbox,body kit,wheels,assorted parts and the original log book and id plates.

I am looking for any info on both cars history and any pictures of the cars also.
I have traked down what I believe to be the owners of the cars over the years,but I am hoping to confirm this with help.

Troy
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2265778)   #2
gt4v
Rookie

More info. The Slako car ran at Wanneroo ATCC in 1992 still pink driven by Ian Love the second owner and also ran at wanneroo still pink in 1993 ATCC driven by Phil Johnson the third owner.
The car was then sold to Mike Moylan in WA still who painted it white inside and out and only ran the car a few times up untill I purchased the car in 2006 when Mike had repainted the car pink again accept for the interior.

The no 77 Alf Barbagallo car also ran at Wanneroo ATCC in 1990 before being sold to Phill Johnson who ran the car at Wanneroo ATCC in 1992 still pink.

The car was then stripped of its running gear and sold to 3 others befor being completely stripped and dumped at the local tip years later.

I am doing my COD at the moment and would appreciate any help,photos ect.

Troy.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2265812)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim

Welcome Troy...have you tried contacting Tim in WA? (Redline distributor?)
Old 8 Aug 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2265835)   #4
gt4v
Rookie

I have been over to Perth to West Racing and spent some time with Tim.
He was so helpful and gave me a few original parts for the car he had kept all these years.
He had the origanal lap books for both the cars and even gave me all the engine and dyno book records.I also got all the info they used to build both the cars.
He is a really down to earth guy and even invited me and my wife to his luxury apartment to chat and even took us out to dinner in a top resturant at his expense.
He really is a genuine guy and I was so impressed that he made time for us.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 03:04 (Ref:2266620)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ask the locals

Try www.speedwest.net for some help from WA - check out the Slako Charger photo, or the 1957 AGP stuff including the Davison Ferrari & the Jones Maserati 250f.

Ask for some background on the pink Commodores - I'll watch with interest.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 01:18 (Ref:2270316)   #6
gt4v
Rookie

Does anyone have any Photos of The start of the Touring Car rounds these cars competed in.

1989 Wanneroo ATCC
1989 Mallala ATCC
1989 Sandown and Bathurst

1992 Wanneroo ATCC

1993 Wanneroo ATCC
Old 17 Aug 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2270391)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was looking at www.autopics.com.au half an hour ago and saw some pics of your car.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2271465)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4v
I am the new owner of Tim Slako's Pink 1989 Walkinshaw.
The car competed at Wanneroo,Mallala,Sandown and Bathurst in 1989.
It has the original log book and has all its original rinning gear.

I am restoring the engine and other bits at the moment in the hope of running the car at Sandown in November.

I also have what is left of the Alf Barbagallo sister car.
I have an engine,gearbox,body kit,wheels,assorted parts and the original log book and id plates.

I am looking for any info on both cars history and any pictures of the cars also.
I have traked down what I believe to be the owners of the cars over the years,but I am hoping to confirm this with help.

Troy
Troy... part of an email exchange....

The car that Troy has may be a worthwhile inclusion in Aust Muscle Car mag - maybe the MIA section at the rear or another section devoted to cars from the past being restored. Just a thought...

These cars were outstanding and brilliantly prepared, I know that because of the guy who built them! I last saw them both at Wanneroo in 1993 when Phil Johnson and Ian Love(?) drove them in a local round. Ian Love also had a Perkins built VP painted yellow. John Bowe shared the drive in this car in the 300km local enduro that year or the previous year, not sure. Yep, Bowie in a Holden! Larry came over and shared the Castrol car with Barbagallo. You may also be aware that Phil Johnson has a son Grant, currently doing very well in the V8 ute series driving the Grove fruit juice VE.
END
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2271887)   #9
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm the 300km race. Bowe drove many cars in the 300km. A bmw 635csi aswell.

Even Seto ran his 94 Eb here when selling to Claude

God Damn I want the 300km race back!
Old 7 Nov 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2982615)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Slako Cars

Troy, I've twigged now who you are...take a bow...that car is a credit to you.

Quote:
G'day Mick, I'm not sure if there are any because my recollection is that Ian Love did not have Tim's TWR car - I may be wrong. Tim built two of these cars, #96 was Tim's and #77 was Alf Barbagallo's. Both cars were sold after the '89 ATTC series. The #96 car was bought by Phil Johnson, father of Grant of V8 utes fame and last years series winner. I did have a picture of both cars in the Wanneroo 300but I cannot recall if Phil and Grant were paired in the same car or if they were in both cars and who the owner of the other TWR car was - it may well have been Ian Love and he may well have owned the #77 car.

Of course the #96 car is still around and that is so pleasing - it still looks brilliant and praise to the people keeping these excellent cars alive and that series running. I believe the #77 car went to the tip and became landfill.

With regard to Ian Love, I do know he had a VP Commodore built by Larry Perkins - I know it was yellow because that would have been one of the last things I saw as a member of the race team nearly bowled me over with a dangerous reverse in the crappy pit area at Wanneroo! Barbagallo also had a Perkins built car in Castrol livery - Larry shared the drive with him in an early 90's 300 km race. John Bowe shared the Ian Love car.

Ian Love was also Don Watson's co-driver at Bathurst in 1994. Of course that drive never eventuated as a result of Don being tragically killed during practice/qualifying for that race. I still see his trucks on the road so that is always a reminder of him.

Sorry mate, not much help but if I may suggest, the WA Sporting Car Club may have something in the way of pictures/memorabillia...Unquote