Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Jul 2003, 14:29 (Ref:654861)   #1
scotf
Rookie

scotf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aerodynamics is f1 the best ?

as the title sugests is the open wheeled style of f1 cars the best for aerodynamics or are gt1 / le mans style cars better
hope someone can answer this as its been annoying me latley
thanks scott
Old 7 Jul 2003, 14:35 (Ref:654865)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would say that F1 uses the most aerobits and is the absolute most intense and advanced uses of aerodynamics to stabilize and add grip to a car. but with exposed wheels i believe it is fighting up hill.
Now LMGTP/GT1/LM900 (et.al) are best for aero considerations and efficiency.
the cars arer sculpted purely for less windresistance and more grip, evry curve is used to make the car slippery. and to cool te car as well. my vot is for the LeMans racers Prototypes
this is an apples and oranges argument though as regulations make them so different.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 14:36 (Ref:654868)   #3
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect this is going to end up in the Technical Forum...

Open Wheels are not the best aerodynamic solution, because of the turbulence they create. The aerodynamic efficiency/design solutions that you see employed on cars are a result of the formula the car is built for... there are many ways to improve an F1 car's aero performance, but only so many of those options are allowed by the rules...
Old 7 Jul 2003, 14:37 (Ref:654871)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Open wheels are terrible for aero efficiency, but there again F1 puts more resources into aerodynamics and is therefore the leading formula for the science. Le Mans style cars are more efficient - they produce (or can produce if set up that way) more downforce for the cost of the drag.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 15:58 (Ref:654926)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Different beasts and the thing that effects the aerodynamics with both cars are the rules of the series.

F1 has the most sophisticated aerodynamics, but that I mean more money, time and resources are spent on them.

And shiny, you are right. Why not visit other areas of ten-tenths!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 19:15 (Ref:655133)   #6
scotf
Rookie

ok so if as much money was spent on le mans type cars they would out perform there f1 rivals but as is the f1 car is faster .
would that be about right ??
p.s. does anyone have comparable lap times from the cars to see how they compare .
thanks scott
Old 7 Jul 2003, 21:21 (Ref:655255)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is LMPs have restricted 650+BHP engines weres F1 cars are producing upto 900BHP.

F1 cars are also much lighter.

F1 cars are about 10-12 seconds a lap guicker than LMPs depending on the circuit.

But then againd F1 will be having a BIG rules overhall in the next 2-3 years to cut cornering speeds and top speeds.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Jul 2003 at 21:27.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 05:29 (Ref:655502)   #8
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam nailed it pretty much. Its very much a different thing to design and F1 vs GTP. neither is "better" neccesarily. Its like comparing the aero of a fighter jet to a bomber (just an analogy nothing to read into in the comparison). They are designed to do different things. They have different rules and therefore different designs. Toyota used the idea of vortices in its GTP a whilie before they appeared in F1 9to the best of my knowledge although i haven't really seen to many F1 undertrays
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:00 (Ref:655582)   #9
scotf
Rookie

ok so if money was no object and there were no rules limiting bodystyle or bhp which design would be chosen
Old 8 Jul 2003, 12:27 (Ref:655746)   #10
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Closed wheel.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:24 (Ref:655886)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If there were no limits of any form, would each team not provide a car as wide as the track they are racing on? Pummel the money in to make it wit ha bloody 5000bhp engine with turbo and NOS etc.....

Would be intriguing.........
Old 8 Jul 2003, 15:39 (Ref:655934)   #12
scotf
Rookie

quote (no rules limiting bodystyle or bhp ) rules would still be in place
Old 8 Jul 2003, 17:57 (Ref:656036)   #13
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the 2003 R8 is the most tricked out bit of kit around. With that rule bending/twisting/stretching desing in the rear wing.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 01:45 (Ref:656423)   #14
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no rules? they wouldc chose a closed wheel design thathad skirts sealing it and a fan at the back. Proably a closed cockpit also
Old 24 Jul 2003, 03:22 (Ref:669952)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pardon my ignorance but do Le Mans-style sports cars have ground effects or a flat bottom?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:22 (Ref:671184)   #16
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LM prototypes have flat bottoms, but I believe they have some sort of diffuser, and that is an area not mentioned here so far.
Considering downforce produced by the underbody, you should remember that Force = Pressure x Area.
An LM body has a much larger floor area. So in developing the same pressure drop underbody, it will produce far more downforce. IIRC, the 956/962 produced more downforce than its F1 brother.

So, if you were to produce a full-body conversion (which would include a cockpit roof) for an F1 car (and were still able to match weights), I would expect it to produce considerably more downforce yet still have a more slippery shape.
Two areas that would need addressing are trimming (ie front wings, and how to incorporate them without screwing up airflow right along the car), and susceptibility to angle of attack. As Mercedes discovered at Le Mans a few years ago, such designs can be very sensitive to small amounts of dive and squat, both in terms of their ability to catch air and flip, but also how the centre of pressure can move dramatically (so how much downforce is produced, and how it is split over front and rear axles can change enormously with just one degree of error).