Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1186155)   #26
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btw luke got your PM mate ill look into editing zolder .... but i know is a great track as it is minus the chicanes but ill look into it ..... from what ive seen from pictures of it it seems to have a nice hilly feel to it but as i said ill get going now on it.

btw that was my second edit then i did the other on the foot of the first page incase ne 1 missed that 1.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 22 Dec 2004 at 19:51.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1186160)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
btw luke got your PM mate ill look into editing zolder .... but i know is a great track as it is minus the chicanes but ill look into it ..... from what ive seen from pictures of it it seems to have a nice hilly feel to it but as i said ill get going now on it.

Thanks, just I was stuck on ideas for it, as I love the track, by the way I gave you the first section, as that is the best part and also the part I wanted to keep.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1186163)   #28
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats great mate ..... maybe we should get a thread going for zolder ???
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1186167)   #29
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike that was what my thread was intended for, but no one seemed to follow it up, but if you want too, that would be cool.

Last edited by luke; 22 Dec 2004 at 19:59.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1186175)   #30
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
well when i have alook after ive done this on my pc mate ill edit zolder n post it .
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1186178)   #31
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Hey Mike when yo do, post it in the thread. (my one)
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1186182)   #32
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
thats the thread i ment :x anyway enough petty talk down to silverstone and zolder !
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1186185)   #33
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I'm all for that!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1186216)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Although I did an edit, alhough I didn't like it, I felt it had to many stop 'n' starts.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1186218)   #35
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
thats why i like my edits as they dont stop and start so much.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1186228)   #36
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well, I thought it was Ok just the fact that the first section is mega, I wanted to continue it.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1186328)   #37
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
now can you see why is said its a project
Old 22 Dec 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1186336)   #38
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just bear in mind with Priory, that while it is an outside bet for overtaking for the brave, it won't be if the straight that precedes it is long enough for the lead driver to think about covering his line, or if Bridge gets tighter.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1186361)   #39
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
what do you think of my ideas of just moving priory to the club straight ??? well i know T-Rs did but you know what i mean. i hope.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1186377)   #40
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts:

Old 23 Dec 2004, 00:01 (Ref:1186382)   #41
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This topic has really kicked off overnight ...

Well, like someone said, to change one part of Silverstone, it means you have to change a lot of other parts with it as well...

Silverstone is one of those tricky circuits. It doesn't suit well with the (dreadful) standard of circuits these days (ie, Tilke's tracks)...

Maggots, Becketss, Chapel, Stowe, Abbey, Bridge, Priory... That's six corners/chicanes which are really fast ones, which give Silverstone that spirit. If you change one, then you may of changed all six of them... This really is a hard project...

However, I've managed to put together a sensible edit of the track...

I have only focused on the last half of the track... Now criticism is welcome, no matter how harsh it is ...

Club has been changed from a 'chicane' (I'd call it a chicane, because it goes right/left, and the fact that the left drags on doesn't matter, a chicanes a chicane) into just a simple 90 degree angles right hander. I done this for two reasons. Firstly, so that cars have a slower approach into Abbey (which I'll talk about in a second), and secondly to possibly create an overtaking opportunity. I believe with the current setup, overtaking is difficult, because even if you get in the inside of someone, you have to fight your way all the way around, which is good, but yea...

Abbey. Now, the hard left kink is indeed (in my opinion) too dangerous. So, why not revert to the old Abbey, but make it an even more easy corner to take. Now, Abbey could even be known as a kink more then a corner. This leaves Bridge untouched of course (a part of the circuit which I personally don't want to see changed AT ALL)...

The last part is an existing part, the motorcycle circuit. However, rather then going and doing the chicane, the Grand Prix circuit would see the cars rejoin on the pit straight. This changes the aspect of the 'complex' very marginally, however, sufficiently enough to change the soul of the circuit...

I do not intend to see this circuit made, however, I would like to hear all your opinions on my proposal...
Old 23 Dec 2004, 00:16 (Ref:1186398)   #42
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The old Abbey was never like that.
The chicaneless Abbey that is there now is the same as it has always been.

Club is a problem.
If you look at the aerial photo TR posted you'll see there's no room for run off on the outside, no doubt why the main braking zone was moved further away from the public road on the outside, so there was some room for run off.
Having a hard braking zone there simply doesn't leave room for large enough run off.
A lot of silverstone is hard to change because on the outside of the track; particularly at Club, along the Club-Abbey straight, past Abbey and under the bridge; there is an earth bank, from where the airfield site was leveled flat, basically part of a gentle slope has been cut away, and the perimeter road which is the circuit nowadays sits in the excavated section. To move that bank requires more excavation, not a simple as bulldozing a mound of earth back.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1186436)   #43
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I knid of wish that the old Becketts would be reinstated, but the current setup isn't bad.

Hangar Straight and Stowe should be left alone as they provide what I see as the best overtaking opportunity, and Stowe is just a great corner.

At Club, why not make a gradual ophill slope with a serious tire barrier and catch fencing at the outer perimeter, thus allowing for the old Club corner and preceeding straight? The current section there isn't that great, and doesn't really allow for overtaking into Club.

Abbey, well, I know that Bridge would be even more hair-raising without the corner as it is, but I strongly dislike the vast majority of chicanes, particularly after I saw the 2000 German and Italian Grands Prix.

I know a number of you like Bridge and the complex, but I really would love to see a real run into Woodcote, which in its day (before 1975) was the most difficult and intimidating corner on the circuit.

To be honest, my absolute favorite configuration is the 1952-1974 circuit. Yeah, I know, extremely fast and dangerous by modern standards.

Last edited by Purist; 23 Dec 2004 at 03:17.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1186687)   #44
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P, i like yours, though, im not in favor of the reprofiling of Club.

Freak, i dont really like yours actually . Club is fine as it is, and your version of the Abbey kink would be too easy IMO. I also think the motorbike version of Luffield would be too tight for F1's.

The reason why i want to lengthen the run to Abbey, is, that that'll lengthen the run to Brooklands too, which'd make Brooklands really challenging. I dont worry so much about overtaking at Abbey. There's plenty of overtaking going on at Silverstone as it is.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1186694)   #45
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Alright. Here's my second attempt.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Old 23 Dec 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1186703)   #46
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist

At Club, why not make a gradual ophill slope with a serious tire barrier and catch fencing at the outer perimeter, thus allowing for the old Club corner and preceeding straight? The current section there isn't that great, and doesn't really allow for overtaking into Club.

yes mate it doesnt provide overtaking but if you look and Grand Prixs and any other fourm of racing that happens on the south circuit or the GP circuit Club is a corner that helps over taking into abbey. so i think it isnt great as it is but its okay.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1186758)   #47
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
i think weve proved that it is almost impossible to change the silverstone layout and keep its spirt aswell! ... i wasnt going to do a edit i was just to watch my predition unfold ...
Old 23 Dec 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1186763)   #48
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
well i thought why not ...

Old 23 Dec 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1186779)   #49
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
IMO you destroyed the complex. The change at Chapel could work, though i dont see any reason to alter that section .
Old 23 Dec 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1186790)   #50
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
The complex should be slow I think, its Silverstones version of "the staduim" at Hockenheimring, slow and so the crowd can see the cars. I did look at making bridge an esse like corner with pirory but that would make bridge way to dangerous especially if your going side by side like we have seen in the past. That why pirory needs to be a sharp corner where overtaking COULD take place but its an outside chance, but also I think a straighter run into woodcote as it was before would be great but then you COULD lose bridge. But I dont feel the first half of Silverstone needs editing anyway I mean theres alot of great corners there ... I mean copse a fast corner and has inspired other corners around the world, (the new first turn at hockenhiem) maggots, becketts and chapel are all fine I think, Stowe is a great corner. then we come to Club Abbey and the complex that need the editing which keeping the flow of the circuit and the complex I feel SHOULD be slow like I said its Silverstones version of the stadium section at hockenhiem so the crowd can see the cars thats why TR i dont like your edit it pulls away what the complex is, I mean its good but I dont like it. Anyway thats my two pence on how silverstone should be edited.