Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Feb 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1219629)   #1
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things to do around silverstone.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes ....

I'm going to be in silverstone doing a driving course in march and I'll be staying a few days.
I've been to the track before, but It's always been straight to the track and straight home again, since I'll have time I'd like to see any other sights of interest (motorsporty or otherwise, but cars first!) while I'm there.

I know the Jordan F1 base is there, (I'm Irish so I'd better go see it while I still can) and I'll have a rental car so I'm going to have a look at who else is within driving distance. Anybody know of anything i should go see?

Also since I only have to been near silverstone during the week I'm going to try and catch some racing somewhere the weekend before.
It's the weekend of the 13th of March and unfortunatly I'm having a tough time finding out what is on in Silverstone,Donnington and Rockingham that weekend. Their Web-sites dont say , so I guess nothing.
Anybody know of any other events on then?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Draven; 7 Feb 2005 at 17:38.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1219634)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mallory has nothing that weekend either.

Looks like its Brands or Lydden I'm afraid,

If you are looking for books there is an excellent shop on the trading estate. PM Tim D he can tell you all about it.

For places of interest not sure really. I don't live that far away but I don't spend too much leisure time in the locality.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1219638)   #3
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Thanks Peter, Brands might be too far away, dont know how long it would take to drive but looks a long way on the map.
I was just thinking that every time I've been driving to and from silverstone all the pubs looked really nice. So I think I have at least one evening sorted, grub and a pint or two!
Dont surpose you know if Jordan GP will let you tour the factory?
Old 7 Feb 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1219652)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Check if there's anything on at the NEC - It's only about 30mins away and quite easy to get to from SStone.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1219657)   #5
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Thanks, it's a good sugestion.
I'll be flying into Birmingham, and I was at autosport in january, so I'd thought of checking it.
13th of march ...... wait for it.......Crufts Dog show!
Not what I was expecting , but interesting none the less.
Not quite festival of Speed, shame I dont know any dog lovers, I'd bring them allong.

Last edited by Draven; 7 Feb 2005 at 18:06.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1219659)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is the motorcycle museum, just restored.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1219673)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a bike meeting on at Mallory on the Sunday, 13th...............

Old 7 Feb 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1219736)   #8
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slow the pace down and visit Stowe Gardens (if they are open). Check web for English Heritage and National Trust sites, plenty of castles and old ruins within 30 mins of Silverstone. Also Althrop.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1219762)   #9
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
Dont surpose you know if Jordan GP will let you tour the factory?
No they don't do that. Only for perspective partners, sponsors or employees. They sometimes do a factory open day, but these are organised events.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1219805)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As an alternative to motorsport, pay a visit to Waddesdon Manor which is awesome.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1220040)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops. Forgot about that.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1220084)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try the museum at Gaydon, about 30 minutes away from Silverstone.There are plenty of cars there.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1220200)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's also Towcester race course, Whipsnade Zoo, Rockingham Castle (If Open) Oxford & it's attractions not far away.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1220256)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Donington Collection is well worth a visit
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1220261)   #15
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Thanks again everyone,
Nice one Paul I've been to the donnington collection but it was already first on my list of things to do, I'll be going straight there on my first day. It's fantastic.

All teh other suggestions have given me loads to think about, I'm bringing my girlfriend over with me this time and she like th sound of the Stoe Gardens, Oxford and we had a look at the website for Waddesdon Manor and it looks amazing so we'll be stopping off there too.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1220388)   #16
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the home of William Shakespeare, Stratford-upon-Avon for a day visit and the theatre in the evening (there is 3 to choose from!). Stratford is about 40 minutes away from Silverstone.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1220467)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
BAR and Prodrive are not far away. BAR do factory tours by appointment and I think the cost is £50 per head. I don't know whether Prodrive do anything similar. FYG Brands Hatch is about at 2.5/3 hour drive from Silverstone and the best route is M40/M25/A20.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1220526)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, you're coming from Ireland to visit Silverstone?

The last chap that did that made his own entertainment. Borrow a ginger wig and a kilt etc and watch out those ruffian marshal types!!!
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1220528)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oi watch it you!

Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1220541)   #20
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
So, you're coming from Ireland to visit Silverstone?

The last chap that did that made his own entertainment. Borrow a ginger wig and a kilt etc and watch out those ruffian marshal types!!!
Very funny....
Well that prat had to be from somewhere I suppose.
I guess it was just Irelands turn on the Idiot roulette.

Well if Father Richard Head or what ever his name was ever makes it known he's going to be back in ireland, I think we'll set it up so that the whole nation gets to throw him to the ground just like the marshal.
For my go I'll try it from a 3rd floor balcony.

By the way the marshal that did grab that dumbass is a hero in ireland now.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1220545)   #21
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:

Draven........meet Stephen Green (Post above your last) he is THAT Marshal and I'm sure he will accept your thanks by way of a bit of loose change!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 8 Feb 2005 at 16:32.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1220564)   #22
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland

Thanks for the info Mark.
(I could have looked very foolish there)

Well Stephen Green on behalf of the land unfortunate enough to spawn Father Uber git, a sincere thanks for stopping a situation that was just not funny.

As for loose change, I'm sure like all super heroes justice was reward enough!!
(Yeah I know I never believed that either, justice doesn't buy a new gearbox!)
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1220567)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Oi watch it you!

Quote:
Stephen's a hero to most of us.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1220761)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Draven (and Mallett Man), you say the sweetest things :blush:
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1220796)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I said most not all