Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Apr 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1289780)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The bit about the tires and SAFER barriers may not be literally what should happen, but the principle at work is pretty fundamental: use "soft" barriers in front of the hard external walls to absorb more of the force. As for impacts, a glancing blow by its nature will be less jarring for the driver than a head-on one.

Please, leave Piratella alone. The rest is pretty good.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1289891)   #27
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schummy, that's wonderfully said mate, perfect insight and all, and I agree with most of it...

I agree with tr, Piratella is a no go zone, it ain't being touched ...

Lust, I decided to create this, because it's always easier to see changes to a circuit this way...

I don't know why, but I just find your edit makes the track a bit dull, and now that I really think of it, Imola is a "dull circuit + chicanes"... HOWEVER, I do like the circuit, but by looking at your edit, for some reason, Tamburello HAS to stay, or at least some sort of simple corner/chicane which you have to brake for...

Anyway...

Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1290017)   #28
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree the track looks a bit dull, but in essence the Imola lay-out isn't all that fancy. However, if you look at the challenge Tamburello was and what altitude does to corners, the track would still be good fun.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1290382)   #29
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
What about this?

It does need a bit more room on the inside of the track, but perhaps that's possible.
It's nice but what if a situation like Schumacher 99' @ Silverstone happened??
Old 30 Apr 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1290578)   #30
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Good point, CG. I don't know.
Old 30 Apr 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1290683)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
What exactly did happen with Schumacher at Silverstone in 1999 (I've never seen any footage of that incident)?

Would something like they have on the inside of the Long Pond Straight at Pocono (barrier-wise) work well on the inside of a reinstated Tamburello?
Old 15 May 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1301029)   #32
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone been to http://fantasytracks.2ya.com lately? It's been updated with a new Imola track, which can be found at http://imola.fantasytracks.2ya.com .

Looking at this picture I found on the track's official site (http://www.imolacircuit.it/go.php?autodromo.php?lan=en , the pic towards the bottom of the page), that edit would be a little cramped. What do you guys think?

You can also see my edit, which I've posted before, right above it (Kevin's Revision).
Old 15 May 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1301129)   #33
ethone
Rookie

ethone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
What exactly did happen with Schumacher at Silverstone in 1999 (I've never seen any footage of that incident)?
His brakes failed and he went straight into the barriers at Stowe. The race was red-flagged at that point already.
Old 15 May 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1301136)   #34
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, he began to turn in, and then the wheels just seemed to lock momentarily and then it just went straight on into the tyre wall... It was made a lot worse because the car skipped over the gravel trap when it hit the grass verge at the side of the track between the trap and the tarmac.
I believe due to the angle he hit the tyre wall it snapped the monocoque, breaking his right leg in the process. I think the actual impact speed was only around 70mph.
Old 15 May 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1301420)   #35
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
^ i was there when micheal broke his leg ... i was sitting at the front row, of Club ... still saw it though
Old 4 Jun 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1319932)   #36
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Anyone been to http://fantasytracks.2ya.com lately? It's been updated with a new Imola track, which can be found at http://imola.fantasytracks.2ya.com .
Yes. And I'm the guy who did that most recent edit (so now everyone knows who to shoot).

Quote:
Looking at this picture I found on the track's official site (http://www.imolacircuit.it/go.php?autodromo.php?lan=en , the pic towards the bottom of the page), that edit would be a little cramped. What do you guys think?
Yes, but then again, Imola's a cramped place. It's ultimately how they had to wreck one of my three favourite tracks (the other two were Hockenheim and Monza). My edit was a reaction on watching this year's RSM GP and thinking the place looked way too much like the Hungaroring before they diverted the spring.

Quote:
You can also see my edit, which I've posted before, right above it (Kevin's Revision).
There are some things I like about your edit. Getting rid of the Variante Bassa is a good thing - that corner is really mickey mouse. I also like how you've left the entire stretch from Tosa to Rivazza unchanged.

The bits I don't like are really the bits I've been drastic with in my edit. I particularly dislike the slow chicane at Villeneuve - it wrecks the entrance into Tosa, which is IMHO one of the greatest corners in motor racing. You also leave Tamburello as the pretty average chicane it is now, although I don't think I'd mind that one if I didn't remember the corner it replaced.

The other concern I'd have would be with the way you've moved the start. Assuming Villeneuve doesn't kill all opportunities for overtaking, Tosa might become a little too much like Spa's La Source (first lap crashes).
Old 4 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1319939)   #37
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello and welcome, nice ideas with your imola track, hope you enjoy your stay
Old 5 Jun 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1320931)   #38
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Jam, I like that Imola edit, it's different and refreshing, and addresses some of the early-lap problems very well (although somewhat drastically and unrealistically ). Only minor changes I'd like to do, I'll show you them tomorrow (today now is it? ).

Welcome to 10-10ths, enjoy your time here
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 6 Jun 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1321169)   #39
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
Hey Jam, I like that Imola edit, it's different and refreshing, and addresses some of the early-lap problems very well (although somewhat drastically and unrealistically ).
Realism isn't exactly my thing...

Quote:
Only minor changes I'd like to do, I'll show you them tomorrow (today now is it? ).
I look forward to seeing it!

Quote:
Welcome to 10-10ths, enjoy your time here
Thanks! Nice to be somewhere where drawing lines on maps isn't considered odd!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1321886)   #40
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Only changes I would make would be:

1) Pull Ratzenberger hairpin a bit closer in. As it is, there's a dangerous lack of runoff head-on straight into a wall. Would not be at at all appropriate for such a named corner... I know you said realism is relative, but that thought just creeped me out a bit too much.
2) Reinstate old run from your new Parabolica to Tosa, just the Villeneuve swoop to the right, instead of a chicane or esse. No point in it, as you've already got that nice Senna S, and you get the bonus of it (maybe) opening up another passing spot, and (as mentioned earlier) reinstating a classic corner combo.

Other than that, that's it, the rest is lovely. Although that's one loooooong flat out run you got there... Ah, who cares, I'd love to drive it, so it passes my test!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1321936)   #41
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Image:

Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1321938)   #42
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
Only changes I would make would be:

1) Pull Ratzenberger hairpin a bit closer in. As it is, there's a dangerous lack of runoff head-on straight into a wall. Would not be at at all appropriate for such a named corner... I know you said realism is relative, but that thought just creeped me out a bit too much.
Oops - that was an unintentional coincidence - you're certainly right on this one. I'll have to stick that in a more detailed version.

Quote:
2) Reinstate old run from your new Parabolica to Tosa, just the Villeneuve swoop to the right, instead of a chicane or esse. No point in it, as you've already got that nice Senna S, and you get the bonus of it (maybe) opening up another passing spot, and (as mentioned earlier) reinstating a classic corner combo.
Again, you're right. I was being a little chicken about that one because of what happened there in 1994.

Quote:
Other than that, that's it, the rest is lovely. Although that's one loooooong flat out run you got there... Ah, who cares, I'd love to drive it, so it passes my test!
If only there were an easy way of editing circuits on Grand Prix 2... I've never had the patience to define the CC Line properly.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1347938)   #43
ricardoreyes
Rookie

Germany
nice, little suburb near Aachen
ricardoreyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have kept the basic layout of Imola but there are some more passing opportunities, now.
the pitlane is now on the other side of the start/finish straight.
Also, I got rid of the villeneuve chicane and the last chicane.
Attached Thumbnails
imola95_map worked 2.GIF  
Old 5 Jul 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1348084)   #44
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice, but unfortunately it wont work. The only chicane that's really removeable there, sadly enough, is Tamburello - Lustig made a version once showing it would be possible to make a Tamburello much similar to the old one, with sufficient runoff and without disturbing neither housing nor the Salerno River.

Removing Villeneuve, Variante Alta or Variante Bassa would make Tosa, Rivazza and Tamburello too dangerous, respectively. Unfortunately.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1348337)   #45
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The trouble is, to reinstate a reasonable overtaking opportunity (at Tosa), both Tamburello and Villeneuve have to go I think. The exit of Tamburello isn't conducive to allowing passing at Tosa, even with the removal of Villeneuve. Also, if you remove the chicane at Tamburello but leave Villeneuve, the run to Tosa is to short, and the configuration of Villeneuve doesn't really allow for passing there (at Villeneuve itself) either.

Frankly, considering what they get away with at Monza, the speeds, if you remove all the chicanes but Variente Bassa, shouldn't be an issue in itself. Without Alta, Villeneuve, or Tamburello, approach speed into Tosa could be 210-220 mph, and into Rivazza it could be around 200 mph (approach speed into Variente Goodyear at Monza is 225-230 mph).

Run-off could be an issue in places, with those speeds, but significant tire barriers in the zones in question would go a very long way toward alleviating wall impact issues.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1349089)   #46
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no reason why Ricardo's changes at Variante Bassa and Tamburello wouldn't work. The speeds towards Tamburello wouldn't be excessive and due to the change in position of the Tamburello chicane I think that there may be enough run-off to make this possible without the corner becoming too dangerous.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 1 Jan 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1493056)   #47
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Tamburello, with SAFER walls, and other safety features could be re-instated without problem. Various testimonies have proved that, the corner really didn't have a problem - unless, a mechanical failure. Now, in the older F1 cars; As Senna, Piquet and Berger showed, the results could be disastrous.

With the new ultra-modern style cars, with vastly improved safety both on the cars, and - at the circuits, could see Tamburello re-instated no problem. Regarding Villeneuve, I think that could also be re-instated.

With any edit of mine, i'd re-incorporate these turns, and made only another modification to the Variante Bassa. I'd also, think about turning the pit's around so to speak - i.e. putting them on the other side of the start/finish. I'll draw something up later

PAUL
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1499162)   #48
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
GrandPrix.com reports that there will be government support for Imola, and that the're looking for more funds to move the pits and paddock to the inside of the circuit.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1504455)   #49
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Now Autosport.com confirms there's a major revamp planned for Imola. Moving the pits and paddock to the inside of the track is off, however. The Variante Bassa will be removed and straightened to make more room for pits buildings and paddock.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1504533)   #50
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have tightened up tambarello put pits on the inside and I am not an autosport.com subscriber!
Attached Thumbnails
Imola.GIF