Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1476584)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
More Testing for Legge

"Things couldn’t get much better for me at the moment," she says while speaking about her upcoming A1GP test.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1477899)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They could. Kerr could hurt his leg or something (no pun). Or she gets one of the drives on the day.

Could the UK be the first team to put a girl up against the men...Danica fever never really hit the UK as bad as it did the US, but if that happened...crumbs.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1478056)   #3
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica fever was a media driven frenzy (and largely undeserved IMO) caused by a phenomenal single drive at Indy and blanket coverage of her scraps for 18th place throughout the rest of the season. Katherine will not generate anything like the publicity in Europe mainly because Europe is far less interested. If she were to move to F1 however it would probably be a different matter, but while she is in middle ranking formulae she won't generate anything like the same hype.

Good luck to them both though because every extra viewer to the sport that they bring will be very welcome - even more so if it's because they're performing well.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1478063)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Danica fever was a media driven frenzy (and largely undeserved IMO) caused by a phenomenal single drive at Indy and blanket coverage of her scraps for 18th place throughout the rest of the season.

Slightly unfair - she was in the top 10 more often than not, and scored a few front row starts
Old 8 Dec 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1479375)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Katherine won this year's Gorsline Scholarship award, presented by Stirling Moss. It is awarded annually to an aspiring driver "who consistently displays exceptional talent and a professional respect for motorsport."

She was also named to this season's All-American Auto Racing Team.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1479671)   #6
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Slightly unfair - she was in the top 10 more often than not, and scored a few front row starts
I was perhaps a touch unfair on Danica herself, but I feel the TV coverage was often ruined by far far far too much focus on her when not justified.

Also, having just checked her stats unfortunately your response isn't wholly born out either.

17 races - 7 top 10s (Motegi, Indy, Chicago, Nashville, PP, Kansas, Richmond)

Wouldnt want to take anything away from her Indy drive though. Unlucky not to have been 2nd at the very least. Great in qualifying too, 3 poles, 12 top 10 starts, but as I think you may have said yourself in another thread points are given away on the Sunday....
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1481461)   #7
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this was a Katherine Legge thread.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1481468)   #8
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Katherine won this year's Gorsline Scholarship award, presented by Stirling Moss. It is awarded annually to an aspiring driver "who consistently displays exceptional talent and a professional respect for motorsport."

She was also named to this season's All-American Auto Racing Team.
I am so happy that she won this so as to concentrate (I hope) on Plan A which I thought she had initially - more knowledge, more experience before moving hastily on into series she felt she was not ready for. Bravo to Stirling Moss for extending this type of award to her, and Bravo to Katherine for earning it!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1482441)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Surprising, this.

Quote:
(Legge) will drive for Rocketsports at Sebring tomorrow, a week before the two-day sessions she’s set to have with Kevin Kalkhoven’s PKV team.

"I'm not sure this could lead to a drive with Rocketsports. I think Paul just wanted to help me get ready for the PKV test so I have a fighting chance of showing my ability."
Old 13 Dec 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1483348)   #10
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Surprising, this.
I think I must be confused or missing something. 1. Early on, didn't she say she was not ready to move up but would stay in Atlantics to make "damn sure she was ready" before she moved up to Champ. 2. Next, she tests in an F1. 3. Then, she gets into an A1GP. 4. Now, she is getting this "help" of an extra ride to get "ready" for the Champ Car test in a week or so to "have a fighting chance to show her ability" and that will make it all "a hell of a lot easier". Am I missing something here -- why is the world so hungry to put this racer on a track she obviously says herself she is not ready for, while many other racers who have patiently waited their turn take a "back seat". I have heard that this is quite frustrating to some of her peers in the racing circuits, and I think I can understand that. Oh well, she sure has made enough friends in the male-fantasy-fanhood area! Now, I am jealous of having an F1 ride - but does anyone else find this just a little of kilter here?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1483484)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At this point the tests don't mean much. Keep in mind that Formula BMW and prior to that Barber Dodge champs got CC tests. That doesn't mean drivers from those classes were going to jump to CC. I think IF Legge is seriously considering CC it's because of her strength in the second half of the Atlantics season. Her racing most definately improved over the course of the year. She went from looking green at the start of the season to looking quiet capable towards the end.

Personally I think she needs another season in Atlantics, but the world doesn't seem to work like that anymore.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1483542)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Her racing most definately improved over the course of the year. She went from looking green at the start of the season to looking quiet capable towards the end.

Although she did win the season opener!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1483609)   #13
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
At this point the tests don't mean much. Keep in mind that Formula BMW and prior to that Barber Dodge champs got CC tests. That doesn't mean drivers from those classes were going to jump to CC. I think IF Legge is seriously considering CC it's because of her strength in the second half of the Atlantics season. Her racing most definately improved over the course of the year. She went from looking green at the start of the season to looking quiet capable towards the end.

Personally I think she needs another season in Atlantics, but the world doesn't seem to work like that anymore.
Some real important points Snrub, thanks - and I like it that you noticed and relied on her progress in the Atlantics where she earned it fair and square. Being a woman, I think women in this sport do deserve a few "extras" and "help" because they are outnumbered and it takes guts to even be there. However, receiving too many extras and help has a danger of making one appear less credibly serious as a racer to me. To need much more extras and help while all alone on a track is starting to sound a little too phoney, needy and whiney to me. I'm finding more and more it seems like a media frenzy feeding off the whole "male-fantasy-fan" market; and less and less about serious racing.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1483972)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Although she did win the season opener!
I know, but she looked rough at LB and there was some luck involved in that one too. Also she slumped after LB. In interviews that I've read she's said that it was primarly because winning LB set her expectations too high and it took her a while to become more relax, etc.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1484008)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I know, but she looked rough at LB and there was some luck involved in that one too. Also she slumped after LB. In interviews that I've read she's said that it was primarly because winning LB set her expectations too high and it took her a while to become more relax, etc.
Getting by two cars in front of her that collided on the first lap, surviving significant contact with another car (which ended up in the tirewall) on lap 11 and then inheriting the lead when the leader, Rocky Moran Jr., retired with two laps to go due to mechanical problems should qualify as "some luck", yeah