Old 13 Feb 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1522157)   #1
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legge confirmed at PKV according to Speed

Hello everyone,

We were waiting for some confirmations for a while about PKV drivers. Looks like Danica will not be the only one turning heads next summer and that Champ Car will be also in the mix. Annoucements should come tomorrow.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1522226)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It's not known who will partner with Legge in '06, but Montagny and Briscoe were thought to be the front runners.
SpeedTV
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1522257)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weren't PKV repotedly leaning away from 2 rookies in the car, or could there be a third ?

Lets hope KK has made the correct for Katherine. I must say I have been more than a little impressed with her testing times.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1522411)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it indeed gets announced as SpeedTV thinks, I must admit it would be awfully tempting to say "I told you so......"

Nevertheless, if it as said does get announced, I think it's great, and it will be highly interesting to see how she does.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1522791)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours are indeed 3 cars for PKV
Old 14 Feb 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1522836)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Bet this a better Valentines present for Katherine than any card or cuddly toy! Good luck to her. I'm sure she'll get some good results in time, coupleof top 5's maybe even a podium by the end of the year!
Old 14 Feb 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1522838)   #7
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who: Champ Car Media Teleconference with Champ Car’s newest driver, as announced at Tuesday night’s Champ Car Atlantic unveiling in Los Angeles.

When: Wednesday, February 15, 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time
Now who would that be?
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1522863)   #8
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~EXC...~id~125359.htm
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1522891)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks pretty official then. Long-term I think another year of Atlantics might've suited her more, and it's hard to deny that if she were a man she wouldn't've had this chance compared to the other drivers in the fray (each of whom have more relevent experience, more potential, or both), but I wish her well. I really hope the team can run 3 good cars - da Matta and perhaps Briscoe might be their best available lineup, although Pantano and Montagny also deserve a drive. Dalziel does too, but I can't see the team running 2 Brits.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1522906)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see Legge getting the contract, will be interesting to see how she does this year. Shes a good driver and shes capable of some good results. IMO.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1522923)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOTALLY AGREE

this is great news , she is a total racer , and always prepared to have a go if the situation is right , and thats what makes it good to see .

Good luck to Katherine this year .
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1523179)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
good luck to her , I hope PKV have a better 2006 than 2005 and she does really well
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1523268)   #13
ManAlive
Rookie

ManAlive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest will that mean that the Belgium driver Jan Heylen will not have a seat in champcar? I think at would be though luck for him i see him as a real talent !!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1523325)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Legge. I hope she does well. She has a good attitude going in. I am sure she will work hard for the team and the series.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1523413)   #15
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic. There are better drivers. It is never good for a series when driver choice is so OBVIOUSLY PR related.
Of course I could be wrong....
Mike
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1523416)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
Tragic. There are better drivers. It is never good for a series when driver choice is so OBVIOUSLY PR related.
Of course I could be wrong....
Mike
She might have been a bit rushed, but I say give her a chance to show what she can do.

Surely she can't be any worse than the likes of Fabrizio del Monte, for example.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1523458)   #17
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reality is she was very average in FF (eau rogue at spa!!) poor in falcon's renaults and then one lucky pole in Fortec's..and out of her depth in F3.

She was up against pretty average competition in Atlantics (Wirth could not cut it in German FBMW but wins in FA) - if she was male then she would be another moderately talented driver looking for either a real job or praying for some seat time in a GT3 car.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:27 (Ref:1523711)   #18
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
She might have been a bit rushed, but I say give her a chance to show what she can do.

Surely she can't be any worse than the likes of Fabrizio del Monte, for example.
Don't bet on that...................
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1523748)   #19
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWRF01
The reality is she was very average in FF (eau rogue at spa!!) poor in falcon's renaults and then one lucky pole in Fortec's..and out of her depth in F3.

She was up against pretty average competition in Atlantics (Wirth could not cut it in German FBMW but wins in FA) - if she was male then she would be another moderately talented driver looking for either a real job or praying for some seat time in a GT3 car.
I wonder if you would tell me honestly your opinion - do you think female drivers of the future in this sport will be seen as less serious; or more serious after the way this has all come about for KLegge? Or, will it have no affect and any future female racer? sorry, maybe this should be a separate thread.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1523801)   #20
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
I wonder if you would tell me honestly your opinion - do you think female drivers of the future in this sport will be seen as less serious; or more serious after the way this has all come about for KLegge? Or, will it have no affect and any future female racer? sorry, maybe this should be a separate thread.
Maybe if the media (and posters on sites like this) would quit looking at the novelty of genetic disposition and if Katherine doesn't fall into the same female/pr trap that Danica did and continues to just concentrate on her driving, she will have an excellent impact on many future racers, no matter which gender they are.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1523917)   #21
fantasytoca
Racer

fantasytoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really pleased for Katherine, pleased that she's got a Champ Car drive next year and also pleased that at after months of will she/wont she at least she now knows what series she will be racing in and can get on with the job in hand
Old 16 Feb 2006, 03:28 (Ref:1523987)   #22
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really not that thrilled, for once i dont feel she is ready I think if she had another year in FA she would be a much more legit choice, secondly by giving her one of the last semi-competitive rides the field is not gonna be as deep iw ould rather see Pantano and Briscoe in the PKV rides, or any of the other really talented drivers who tested.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1524110)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I think they are taking a pretty sensible approach to it, seeing as it's a two-year contract with the first year primarily intended for her to adapt to the cars and the new tracks. It should make it easier for her to focus on the task at hand without having to worry about producing results or job security etc.

It's very hard to predict how she'll do though, but hopefully she won't make a lot of stupid mistakes and tear up a lot of equipment.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1524164)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
OWRS has seen a number of drivers of the Del Monte/Geoff Boss ilk. I do not have a lot of info on Legge's European career but tend to respect Sato san's opinion here as I know he follows them pretty closely. Here record in Atlantics though is as good or better than a number of drivers who are doing well in open wheel here in North America.

She has the opportunity and seems to have the talent - let's see where she goes with it. At least at PKV she will have Vasser on hand for support, I would be far more concerned if she were going to Rocketsports or Coyne where the engineering talent and overall setup is less "new to OWRS" friendly.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 16 Feb 2006 at 10:37. Reason: conjunction junction
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1524259)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly. Ronnie Bremmer had an outstanding rookie year after coming from one year in Atlantics.

A certain young man in another top class North America OW championships is taking over the championship winning car with even less experience.

Its going to be great to see what Katherine can do in 06.