Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1770881)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
XBox 360

Anyone got one? I would rather have one of those than a PS3! And Forza Motorsports 2 looks good. And PGR3. I used to love playing PGR at PC World and stuff!!! So, anyone got one?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1770913)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best mate has one, i like them alot, the online play is excellent, and there are so many great titles coming out for it (Halo 3, Forza 2)

Consider it, it's great fun.

We all know the PS3 will have huge problems at the start
Old 20 Nov 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1771010)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i will get a xbox 360 when price goes down
Old 20 Nov 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1771024)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've played the XBox 360, awesome graphics (especially in Forza 2 I noticed ), good gameplay, I might be getting one this Christmas. I purely want a PS3 for it's awesome range of good racing games. Seeing as my PC is ****house I play my PS2 a lot and can't wait for it to come out in Australia. That said, the money I spend on the PS3 I could use to upgrade my computer... Now there's a thought...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Nov 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1771028)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pro Evolution Soccer (or whatever the name was) looks great on the 360.
Probably gonna buy one at the end of the month or something.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1771076)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My friend has one and it is pretty awesome. I may be tempted to buy one when the prices come down a bit in maybe a year or so. I'm not really an early adopter, but I am impressed with Xbox Live. I have an Xbox Live account for my original Xbox which I thought was pretty cool, but on the 360 its even better.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1771517)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, i have an account for my xbox, but i rarely play it now, as i either have no time, or i'm on GTR2.

Plus my headset's broken...

The 360 is very good online, can't wait for Halo 3!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1771830)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is a great machine and is starting to mature as more games come out. Can't wait for Forza!

Microsoft have got it just right compared to Sony and their ludicrous loss of reality.

And XBox Live is so cool, although I haven't got it myself sadly.

ASCII - Pro Evo Soccer is a dissapointment on 360. It is a stripped down PS2 version with slightly better graphics. Lazy Konami! FIFA 07 is quite good on 360, but is missing a lot of features also.

Next year is when both will get proper releases.

Oh and the next GTA is released on 360 first as well I believe.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1772444)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have had one for a year, it is stellar. Only problem currently is I have to pry the controller out of wifey's hands since purchasing Oblivion and Viva Pinata. That and the arcade games from the Live Arcade - the games like Hexic, Zuma, and Bejeweled that she used to play on the computer she now plays from the comfort of the couch in crisp high-definition.

XBox Live is probably the differentiator for me when it comes to PS vs XBox. I had a PS2 for years before my original XBox (not 360), and when she bought me one for Christmas a few years back, I though she had wasted her money. It went unplayed for months. But as soon as Forza came out and I tried a free month of Live, I have never turned the PS2 back on. Seriously, the PS2 only gets powered up when she does some occaisional Monster Ranching or relives old Tomb Raider days. I still run a couple of weekly Forza leagues on the old XBox, even though I have the 360.

There currently aren't any really good racing sims for the 360 - both PGR3 and MotoGP are beautiful to look at, but the physics are so arcadey that I traded both games back in within days of purchasing them. However, with Forza2 on the horizon, and the promise of GTR on the 360 as well, I am eagerly anticipating getting my mitts on those two games and their sim physics and their 1080i high definition glory! For now, I am mostly on Call Of Duty 3 until those arrive, although Gears of War is looking good...

Combine the gameplay features of Live and the next gen crunching power of the 360 with the other cool add-ons like being able to stream audio and video from your PC to your TV, downloadable HD movies and TV shows, and the Live Vision Camera that allows you to video chat with your friends, and if you are like us your 360 quickly becomes the center of your electronic home entertainment world.

Hmmm... I sound like an advert. Not trying to, but we love this little white box...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 22 Nov 2006 at 18:07.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1772449)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm on CoD3 at the moment too....great stuff!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1772462)   #11
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
If you don't have a Live subscription but have a broadband connection you can get your 360 hooked up to, I would suggest creating a new gamertag on your system and therefore getting a free 1 month subscription to Live with which you can play COD3 against the world to your heart's content! 24 players online playing the "War" scenario is legendary stuff.

I do have a couple of people on my friend's list who create a new gamertag every month and have perpetually free Live that way. It is always strange to get invites from gamertags I don't know, only to find out it is someone I know by a different name! I would still keep one gamertag dedicated to your offline single player exploits, though, so that you don't lose the progress you've made in that arena every month...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1772516)   #12
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I want a 360 definitely, it's great stuff, however, moneys tight so that wont happen
Old 24 Nov 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1774062)   #13
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last 3 times that I've played on a 360 demo unit in a shop, the damn thing has frozen on me (most recently when trying to sample NFS Carbon) I've not really seen anything on it yet to make me want one too badly, it doesn't seem that much of a jump up from the current consoles. That said, I'll probably buy either a 360, PS3 or Wii at some point in the future (especially when the prices go down or if a new Shenmue game comes out on any of them!)
Old 9 Dec 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1785780)   #14
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I've seen loads in shops dead, but i've not heard one story from any of my friends about theirs breaking. I'm not sure how you can misuse a console causing it to break, but that seems to be what's happened.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1785897)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was playing the new tony hawks game on the xbox 360, it looked so real with the graphics etc, like all new games do, yet in four years time it will look incredibly out dated!
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1785985)   #16
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
I'm not sure how you can misuse a console causing it to break, but that seems to be what's happened.
In the case of the X360, overheating.

It was cited as a potential problem at the launch, but generally hasn't been unless you've got one placed somewhere with *no* airflow whatsoever, I saw one such silly setup in town t'other day - an X360 in a plastic case with 0 airholes in it, and the controller mounted on the same bit of plastic for folk to use it with. It seemed to be doing ok at the time.

A new update adding 1080p (i aswell, I can't remember) support has cause a lot of deviced to need to be sent back for repair also.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1786014)   #17
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Yeah, that's what they're all in, and it's pretty obvious now!
Old 9 Dec 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1786029)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The overheating problem is specific to the power supply I think. However, to cause it to overheat you have to be a complete idiot and misuse it completely.

What muppet places a power lead or console in an enclosed, poorly ventilated area? Anyone who does deserves the resultant house fire.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1788036)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the xbox 260 is a good piece of kit but get a playstation 3, i have not even had my 360 for a year and i have had to send it to microsoft 3 times because it hads broken down due to complete hardware failure.

get a PS3 you will have gran turismo 5 on that which looks a million times better than forza 2 which will probably only have a piffling 8 cars like PGR3 while gran turismo 5 is going to have about 15-35 cars imagine an online race at lemans with 35 people!

i also believe gran turismo 5 might also have these LMP1 and LMP2 cars

pescarolo C60 hybrid 2005 and 2006
audi R8 oreca 2005
audi R10 TDI power 2006
courage LC70 mugen and judd (its rumoured at the moment)
zytek 04S zytek motorsport 2005 (its nearly confirmed apparently)
zytek 04S creation autosportif
zytek 06S zytek motosport
zytek 04S team jota
dome HS101 RFH judd 2006 (very rumoured but gran turismo have the rights for some of dome's cars so maybe the HS101 or S101 will make an appearence)

radical SR9 judd and AER(i read on a forum this car may be included)
lola B05/40 AER (another rumour but it wont last as the ASM portugal car was sponsored by XBOX360)

there will be ferrari's in gran turismo 5 and to be honest i would go for the PS3 its a better bet in my opinon
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1788311)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I also believe that GT5 will not be out for years yet.

I'll put money on PS3's failing more than X-Box's as well. The fact they are rushing production will mean lower quality control standard. And this is the company that sold duff PS2's to folk and ended up on Watchdog...

Don't get me wrong, PS3 is no doubt an impressive machine. But the X-Box offers more for me. There have been horror stories, but these are rather minor problems that afflict a handful of people and some problems can be avoided.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1788315)   #21
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I can back that up, I've had my Ps2 and Xbox for about the same length of time (give or take a few months) and i'm now on my 2nd replacement PS2, due to constant "disc read errors" that work fine on other PS2's.

Please note, I'm still on my original Xbox.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1788381)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never played on an Xbox before but can you watch DVDs on them? LOL
Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1789305)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes you can. Excitingly enough.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1792272)   #24
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
For XMas I am getting the Vision Camera, and I may purchase myself the HD DVD accessory as well... My mother just bought herself a stand-alone Toshiba HD DVD player for $400, and the add-on for the 360 is only $140!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1864402)   #25
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a 360 at the end of last year and pretty impressed with it so far. Gears Of War was just gorgeous and pretty good fun to play through even though I don't normally like first-person shooters. Played it through to the end in split screen with my brother in law and then sold it on while it was still worth £30. Beyond that, Resident Evil is a laugh but unplayable on a non-HD TV so I've not got too far with it. Mostly just played compatible XBOX 1 games after that as like the PS3 and Wii there aren't many groundbreaking titles out just yet - waiting for Forza 2, MOH Airborne and the new Star Wars game.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.