Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 17 Aug 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2942184)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV launch 'How Fast?' A new type of Sprint event

I've been racing for 15 years and recently stopped, but felt like doing something occasionally , with a competitive element, with my road car.

Sprints and Hillclimbs appeal, but the track time v entry fee seems poor value.

I then noticed that Motorsport Vision have launched 'How Fast?'. This effectively a 2-run Timed Sprint following a one hour open pitlane trackday type session at Bedford.

It really appeals. A well packaged day, decent track time, just £99.

I was wondering if this could be a threat to speed clubs, or maybe it could actually tempt newbies into more structured Sprinting championships.

I'm not sure how they manage to run a timed event without MSA licencing, but maybe that's because it is at Bedford rather than an official race circuit....

How do other Sprinters feel about this? I'm tempted by the value, and Bedford is a great circuit.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2942404)   #2
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27 View Post
I'm not sure how they manage to run a timed event without MSA licencing, but maybe that's because it is at Bedford rather than an official race circuit...
There are several sprint series that are much more traditional (i.e. practice runs followed by timed runs) that run outside MSA rules - Toyota Sprint Series, Mitsubishi Lancer Regsiter series are just two.

Its one of the big myths that the MSA are THE ONLY body able to legislate and authorise 4 wheeled motorsport in the UK. You weigh up the concern for safety and the sport in general the MSA have with the less beureacratic nature of non-MSA sports. For example in safety clothing the non-MSA sports are less strict on standards. Good for getting in on a smaller budget - but bad when you actually crash?

I saw the MSV fast lap the other day - looks like a blend of track day/sprint as you say - with a healthy dollop of 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' about it too. Good idea, and does sound fun - especially getting the hours track time.

For me I'm not entirley convinced - £99 is more expensive than most sprints at club level, so you could compete 'properly' for less. If track time is more what you want you can do an evening open pit lane for less than £100 and get more than an hours track time. So again, do you like the blend of the two enough to pay a touch more than you would for either a sprint or evening track day? Interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2943335)   #3
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a clever move by MSV, a step up from 'normal' trackdays (where lets not forget you're not allowed to time) and not a 'proper' sprint, where lets face it, the majority of todays modified road cars wont fit into the class structure (and still be competing with road cars, not stuck in libre).
I await the resultant hand wringing and flaming but IMHO this is the type of initiative someone high up in the sprint / hillclimb heirarchy ought to be looking at, to promote the introduction of 'new blood' into the sport.
Yes, I understand the need to protect the existing classes, so as not to instantly devalue years of hard work by the competitors, but the fact is that the classes, as they stand, do not reflect the reality of tuning / modifying as it is being practiced on the street (and yes, in Macdonalds car parks, but little acorns and all that!)
Faced with the alternatives of spending (say) £3000 tuning their existing engine, or £1000 dropping in a modern alternative from the same manufacturer, its a no brainer, the modern will win every time. There are masses of this type of car / owner out there, looking for something to do with their cars (other than driving around the aforementioned burger bar car park). So they do track days and...................... well this is where we came in!!
SO - is it a rival for MSA hillclimb / sprint? No, because the regs have already (effectively) excluded most of the people who will try it.
BUT - I think the relevant powers that be should be seriously looking to attract these same people into the sprint / hillclimb community, by creating some kind of engine swap / road legal class.
At least thats what I think - but what do I know?
Kim.
BTW please join in - this post was meant to rattle the odd cage, in a friendly way, of course!
Old 20 Aug 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2943435)   #4
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest what you've described sounds very similar to Time Attack
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2944698)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
To be honest what you've described sounds very similar to Time Attack
Doesn't TimeAttack give you as much track time as you like to set the time, rather than this event which is like a normal circuit race qualifying session followed by a traditional sprint.

The other variation on the TimeAttack/Sprint event I've seen is in the states some circuits do an evening 'Run What Ya Brung' timed single lap, where you can run any car you want to set a time just for bragging rights (or to quantify an upgrade made since your last visit).
Old 23 Aug 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2944728)   #6
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Doesn't TimeAttack give you as much track time as you like to set the time, rather than this event which is like a normal circuit race qualifying session followed by a traditional sprint.

The other variation on the TimeAttack/Sprint event I've seen is in the states some circuits do an evening 'Run What Ya Brung' timed single lap, where you can run any car you want to set a time just for bragging rights (or to quantify an upgrade made since your last visit).
depends on the series here in ireland there was either single lap finals or the full 15/20 minute session to set a time. There's proposals for 2012 of just single lap finals as they're more spectator friendly and a clear difference to the qualifying sessions. Are the 'Run What You Brung' you mentioned HPDE events i've seen them mentioned the odd time on time attack forums
Old 24 Aug 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2945256)   #7
Russell B.
Rookie

England
Kent
Russell B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I completely agree with Kimbo and I am pleased it's been said.
I find myself in exactly this situation, looking for a new challenge after years of karting, I have an able road car but find track days unrewarding. The current sprint/hill climb class structure seems a little out of place with current sporting production cars, meaning even if I were to go to the expense of MSA licence, club fee, safety equipment upgrade and other sundries, I would be competing against much more serious machinery just because I have made a few improvements or choose a car (hot hatch) with a turbo.
This initiative by MSV isn't a perfect fix to the issues raised (all modified cars are lumped in together), but at the price it is a great way to get a competitive fix with minimal red tape. I competed in the first How Fast event and congratulate MSV on creating these events. I hope it flourishes.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2964327)   #8
RichG
Rookie

RichG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve sprinted for 10 Years in various cars. Have enjoyed it a lot, and will continue to sprint, but over the last couple of years a few things have begun to niggle me more.

Entries are down (sign of the times) No of classes has increased, and often there are only 2 or 3 people in a class. I have a 4WD car and many clubs have introduced a separate class making things even worse, such that I am often on my own. I used to choose to go into Mod Prod just to get some competition, but even this has now been thwarted because you have now to have a cage to be in Mod Prod..

So because of the above I have stopped bothering with a championship and have selected events at tracks I like and with clubs does not have the “silly” 4WD rule.

This has improved things, but had been meaning to give Club MSV “How Fast” a go. Went to Bedford last Monday, these are my thoughts.

Well organised and really enjoyed the 1 hour practice. Much better than an MSA Sprint practice, with time to try different things and have a look at the Performance Box data logs. I would say just the right amount of time, you are not going to wear out too much on the car, short enough to concentrate the mind, but long enough to try too hard & try again, also good fun being on the track with other cars, but with the usual track day restrictions.

At this point things went down hill a little. Not because the timed runs were not intense in the usual MSA sprint way, but because there was no organisation, or real feeling of competing. You go out when you want, both timed laps are done in one go. Then you come back, have a look at your times and pick up a print out and go home.

So most of the competitive feeling you get at a sprint is not there, and after your run there is a feeling that they could have added a bit to the event, by perhaps getting everyone together, not for a prize giving, but to at least announce the results, give some feedback etc.

The other problem is that, although I may give it another go next Year to see if I can better my time, it is in no way a substitute for sprinting, actually competing with other cars on multiple occasions, at different tracks.

So yes I highly recommend giving it a go, but think of it as a once or twice thing to do as well as Sprinting rather than an alternative to Sprinting.

Rich
Old 5 Oct 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2966263)   #9
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post

Well organised and really enjoyed the 1 hour practice. Much better than an MSA Sprint practice, with time to try different things and have a look at the Performance Box data logs. I would say just the right amount of time, you are not going to wear out too much on the car, short enough to concentrate the mind, but long enough to try too hard & try again, also good fun being on the track with other cars, but with the usual track day restrictions.

At this point things went down hill a little. Not because the timed runs were not intense in the usual MSA sprint way, but because there was no organisation, or real feeling of competing. You go out when you want, both timed laps are done in one go. Then you come back, have a look at your times and pick up a print out and go home.

So most of the competitive feeling you get at a sprint is not there, and after your run there is a feeling that they could have added a bit to the event, by perhaps getting everyone together, not for a prize giving, but to at least announce the results, give some feedback etc.

The other problem is that, although I may give it another go next Year to see if I can better my time, it is in no way a substitute for sprinting, actually competing with other cars on multiple occasions, at different tracks.

Interesting feedback Rich.

I dunno if the competitive element is really in the sense maybe we think of it - maybe the folk there (and I'm judging from the cars listed on the website lap chart, rather than experience) are out for a good time for bragging rights, rather than competition on the day? Slightly different things.

Anyway you look at it, its an interesting idea.

For me, I just want after a few years with no sprint car and meagre budget to just pick up something cheap but fun (a la Ford Puma?) that I can do some sport in.

The 'How Fast' initiative seems to be aimed at a much higher level of car, and the MSA route also really would leave me a touch outside the class regs - plus to get back into sprinting I'd now need a new race suit, new gloves and helmet because despite mine all being still good the regs have moved on. I'm not bemoaning anything there, just the way it goes for me. But I do think the MSA could looks seriously at how it could open up sprinting/hillclimbing to help people into the sport instead of constantly making it more expensive. I'm not one of the 'itsallelfnsafetygonemaaaaad' people - I apprechiate people looking out for me! But It is maybe just a touch too far!

But autotests and SOLOs are plenty of fun too!

Curborough do a class for just Corsas, and I can't help think they have gone for the wrong car - there are plenty of quicker, more fun cars out there you could build a class around (and Corsas are not a cheap car to run for under 25s either) - I've never seen in the Curborough results any eligable Corsas listed?