Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:13 (Ref:908562)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1979 Dijon ( the greatest ever race finish ) ??

Ive just been watching the classic 1979 race from Dijon on tape ...and every time ive watched it in the past it just has me glued to the TV set in amazement ...The whole race is great , but the build up to the end is just a classic !

Do you agree this is what racing should be like ?... Villenueve locking up and out braking Arnoux in a braking zone that looked impossible , Arnoux lunging back at him , banging wheels but not in agression just totally on the ragged edge in a stunning finish to the race ...Just superb !

That race was incredible , Gilles Villeneve was such a tremedous racer ....Id love it if i could send Mr Mosley this tape and just say ....can we have some more of this please in future years ....please adjust the regulations to create more of this kinda stuff !!!

Anyone agree ?

Last edited by Sato san; 17 Mar 2004 at 20:15.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:16 (Ref:908566)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was indeed fantastic and all for second!

and no talk of qualifying formats either...

although even then that sort of racing didn't come along too much! That was extreme.

The only situation that has come close recently was JPM and Kimi at Hockenheim I think.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Mar 2004 at 20:18.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:19 (Ref:908570)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
A brilliant race finish, the greatest ever race finish? Who knows, it's certainly up there alongside the likes of Monaco 1992
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:38 (Ref:908592)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: 1979 Dijon ( the greatest ever race finish ) ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Ive just been watching the classic 1979 race from Dijon on That race was incredible , Gilles Villeneve was such a tremedous racer ....Id love it if i could send Mr Mosley this tape and just say ....can we have some more of this please in future years ....please adjust the regulations to create more of this kinda stuff !!!

Anyone agree ?
HEY Sato San ! Now you see ??????

That was FORMULA ONE, you've heard we talk about !

I'm glad that Gilles was my last hero.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:44 (Ref:908599)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proper racing indeed Bon !!

That really was a special year .....Holland too , where Villenueve limped back around the track with only 3 wheels ! Alan Jones driving his nuts off , And Sheckter too !
Old 17 Mar 2004, 21:28 (Ref:908638)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got it on numerous tapes and the duel was indeed absolutely bloody gripping! The way they banged into each other, Villeneuve stamping on the brakes and locking all four wheels at the end of the straight, the two of them sliding over kerbs trying to eke out an advantage....ah, bliss.

As much as I love modern F1 it doesn't really compare to this. Different eras and all that.......
Old 17 Mar 2004, 21:55 (Ref:908656)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never seen the finish of the race, but what about Monza 71? Doesn't the fact that 4 cars crossed the line in less than a second and the fact that anyone of the 4 could have won make it better than Dijon 79?
Old 17 Mar 2004, 22:00 (Ref:908660)   #8
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dijon 79...
monza 71....

i'll add to the mix rindt's fantastic win at monaco in 1970 when he was setting fastest race laps UNDER the pole position time....
Old 17 Mar 2004, 22:12 (Ref:908675)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn fine stuff indeed! One hell of a race, I very much doubt we'll be seeing anything like that ever again.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 22:19 (Ref:908684)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The duel with Gilles is something I'll never forget, my greatest souvenir of racing. You can only race like that, you know, with someone you trust completely, and you don't meet many people like him. He beat me, yes, and in France, but it didn't worry me - I knew I'd been beaten by the best driver in the world."
-Rene Arnoux
Rene Arnoux on his classic battle with Gilles Villeneuve at Dijon, France, 1979.

Get rid of driver aids and open up the window for great drivers to shine. Sure the great ones will always do well but it isn't nearly as fun to watch when you have to squint to see it.

See link for Nigel Roebuck's obituary for Gilles. One of the greats!
http://www.globalserve.net/~trauttf/Gilles/Obituary.htm
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:27 (Ref:908890)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I have never seen the finish of the race, but what about Monza 71?
THATS TRUE .....that was a fantastic race finish ,
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:36 (Ref:908896)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austria 2002.

Oops, you're after the best race finish

I'd say de Angelis edging out Rosberg in Austria in 1982 has gotta be up there ... absolutely fantastic.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 06:02 (Ref:908904)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ohhhh... Dijoin 79.... FANTASTIC.... BEST EVER!!!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 06:35 (Ref:908914)   #14
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I haven't seen that Monza finish, I must say Dijon '79 is the best I'v ever seen.

BTW, in Monza '71 5 drivers finished within one second.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:52 (Ref:909053)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 79 race was indeed one of the greatest.
The strange thing about it is the way the commentary is SOOOOOOO boring that it sucks the whole vido clip down into near nothingness.And yes the offending speaker was one murray walker.
No wonder he went crazy in his comentating style in later years,he DESPERATELY needed to
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:53 (Ref:909054)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just an element: about exciting races, you all are picking single courses out of many years: it merans that each year of F1 hadn't, probably, that many good races, but just one or two. Therefore not much more than current F1.
infact, if we except 2002, it's not hard to find one spectacular GP per year: in 2003, for instance we cannot complain about the Silverstone race!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 10:19 (Ref:909075)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monza 71 sounds fantastic, with Gethin making a mad lunge to go from 4th to 1st on the run to the final corner. Interesting quirk about that one is that none of the top 6 had previusly taken a world championship victory, although Peterson and Cevert certainly later did.

Dijon 79 is the famous one, quite a classic. Gilles really showed his style there, and they defiantely touched at least twice on the final lap. Good point that Murray seemed calmer than usual though.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:08 (Ref:909120)   #18
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dijon 1979.. That was one fantastic race! (even if it was just before I was born).

Even though I've seen the battle between Gilles and Rene so many times, I still wince when they're side by side, banging wheels and such even though you know what happens next. That's how fantastic that race was to me.

You really do have an extensive archive there Mr San!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:09 (Ref:909121)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna/Mansell was it Portugal? 1985 or 1986???

Now that was close.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:13 (Ref:909128)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't forget Spain 81, not a 5car close finish, just a 5-car close whole race!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 12:04 (Ref:909184)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll never forget Dijon. I watched it sitting in my New York apartment on a hot and muggy day. I was screaming my head off in delight for those last few laps. It was rare to see an F1 race in the States back then-we got one of the classics.

I remember reading Rob Walker's report on Monza 1971 in Road & Track as a 13 year old just getting into F1 and wishing I had been there. That report made me a dedicated fan of Mike Hailwood and Ronnie Peterson.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:01 (Ref:909245)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
That report made me a dedicated fan of Mike Hailwood and Ronnie Peterson.
Ronnie Peterson... my first and all-time hero.

Gilles Villeneuve...my last and all-time hero.

There was a driver who I liked a lot, but I promised myself not supporting any driver after Gilles. He was Elio De Angelis.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:03 (Ref:909250)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dijon 79, eh?

I feel sorry for Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

He was a fair distance up the road and won the race.

But because of the battle for second, his achievement is overlooked.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:07 (Ref:909365)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes , that true , but Gilles did squeeze him too a bit when Jabouille tried to overtake him for the lead....Great race ...

Bon ... Elio de Angelis made his debut in 1979 didnt he at Kyalami or was it Argentina where half the field crashed off on lap 1 ?...another great race that one was ..Lafitte won in the Ligier ...now that something we havent heard of from a while !

Last edited by Sato san; 18 Mar 2004 at 15:08.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:47 (Ref:909393)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Dijon 79, eh?

I feel sorry for Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

He was a fair distance up the road and won the race.

But because of the battle for second, his achievement is overlooked.
Wasn't it Jabouille's and Renault's first F1 win and nobody noticed?

Great race indeed.

But if the bumping went on these days the stewards would issue a stop go penalty.