Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 2 Jul 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1646763)   #1
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Done Scott at Harewood

Big congratulations to 'Scottie too hottie' for taking the hill record today.

He has been getting quicker and quicker and deserves to have a record to his name.

Once again well done and i wish i had been there to see it.

Last edited by webbo; 2 Jul 2006 at 20:38.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1646856)   #2
CsM
Rookie

England
Dereham, Norfolk
CsM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done scott shame i couldn't be there today hope everyone has a good week on the channel islands and i will see you at shelsley in a few weeks

Last edited by CsM; 2 Jul 2006 at 22:39.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1646865)   #3
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Scott Moran

Hill record, Roger got his personal best(S), Martin Groves won the second round after failing (to go round, or stop for) the first corner in round one. Scott was leading the championship at lunchtime, who 'leads' it now including the dropped scores only PaulR can say. Bye the way he was happy with his weekend work. Mike Dean also practiced the fast line over the finish (spin it).

Sandra Tomlin took the ladies record and then spun it later in the day . Lynn Owen did an uncharacteristic high profile (flourescent car) spin for the camera.

Gina's drivin' (?) the Moose truck for the first time, and Tom New should be able to fit new gears when they get south.

Junior, Billy, and Clans are having a bbq in the field and the thunderstorm we drove back home through is on it's way to them.

Great weekends racing, very hot, and great hillclimb 'crowd' spirit.

Richard & Georgia
Old 3 Jul 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1647489)   #4
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite unusual to see both Mark & Andy Coley inthe run-offs, well done to both of them
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1647581)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Quite unusual to see both Mark & Andy Coley inthe run-offs, well done to both of them
It was indeed a good effort from the Coleys in their Opel V6 Gould. They outqualified the following:

Basil Pitt - Gould-NME GR55
Karl Davison - Gould-Judd GR37
Oliver Tomlin - Pilbeam-Judd MP72
Trevor Willis - OMS-Powertec CF06

I was somewwhat disappointed at the lack of pace in the two litre class, no one got within a second of Trevor Willis's 2005 class record.

As for the 600cc and 1100cc Racing Cars just three of each were entered. Thankfully all turned up but it is odd that once outside of the Midland Championship hills the numbers evaporate.

One of the best performances was that of Matt Harrison who blasted the Over Two Litre Sports Libre class record set by Christian Mineef in 1999 into oblivion. He eventually carved an incredible 1.67 seconds off to leave the record at 52.98 and he just missed qualifying for the second Top 12 by 0.06!

Old 4 Jul 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1647666)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Congratulations Scottie, Grover might be tough to beat, but it is possible, you can do it
Old 4 Jul 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1647976)   #7
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve

You missed out Robert kenrick taking 9/10ths off his 1400 mod prod record and Phil Cooke took 1 sec exactly in class runs and 1.51 sec (52.46) in the run off off his 1600 rec.

Dave
Old 4 Jul 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1648074)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
Steve

You missed out Robert kenrick taking 9/10ths off his 1400 mod prod record and Phil Cooke took 1 sec exactly in class runs and 1.51 sec (52.46) in the run off off his 1600 rec.

Dave
Dave,

I had to leave something for the Motorsport News and Autosport reporter!

Old 4 Jul 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1648237)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was only a matter of time before he took a record - well done Scottie. it really is turning into a superb battle this year between two of the nicest guys in a very friendly branch of the sport. I'd like to see Scott take some wins because I think he deserves them and a change would be good, but at the same time I can't begrudge Grovesy his deserved success.

That Kenrick feller keeps getting faster doesn't he? How? He reached the limits of the car about 3 years ago and is still finding more.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1648282)   #10
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
It was indeed a good effort from the Coleys in their Opel V6 Gould. They outqualified the following:

Basil Pitt - Gould-NME GR55
Karl Davison - Gould-Judd GR37
Oliver Tomlin - Pilbeam-Judd MP72
Trevor Willis - OMS-Powertec CF06

I was somewwhat disappointed at the lack of pace in the two litre class, no one got within a second of Trevor Willis's 2005 class record.

As for the 600cc and 1100cc Racing Cars just three of each were entered. Thankfully all turned up but it is odd that once outside of the Midland Championship hills the numbers evaporate.

One of the best performances was that of Matt Harrison who blasted the Over Two Litre Sports Libre class record set by Christian Mineef in 1999 into oblivion. He eventually carved an incredible 1.67 seconds off to leave the record at 52.98 and he just missed qualifying for the second Top 12 by 0.06!

I was actually within a second of Trevor Willis's record however you are correct the times were dissapointing. Times put up from Phil Cooke, James Blackmore and Steve Owen were brilliant. Just seemed to hit a wall in the 53's..trying any harder just made the car push on loosing more time in the process.

Anyway maybe you should take the wheel Steve on rubber from the beginning of last year and no clutch. Im sure you'd do a better job.

Will
Old 4 Jul 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1648315)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How's the car now Wi11iam? It's taken a couple of hits recently. I've no knowledge of this sort of thing but does that affect set up at all? Just curious - I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with - and I know you'll have had it spot on before bringing it out.

I'd missed Mat Harrison's time. That's pretty impressive too. It's a wild looking beast (the car!) always apparently on the edge of disaster but apparently very effective.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1648373)   #12
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Ralphie,

dont let him get under your skin,

save it for when i start winding you up come August time

anyway my mean green machine is a coming soon !!!!!
Its been along time coming but i see light at the end of the tunnel.

Catch you later
Webbo
Old 4 Jul 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1648405)   #13
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to all the promised 2 litre machinery eventually surfacing.

And for Ralf to get some consistent seat time.

Paul
Old 4 Jul 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1648420)   #14
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson

Paul
Not as much as me Paul......mind you i will be too scared of damaging it to begin with !!!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1648654)   #15
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
There is another way!

Quote:

Paul
You could always have a go at sprinting! I know it is heretical even to mention it but you do get a hell of a lot more seat time e.g. Craigantlet is 1460 yards whilst the Kirkistown sprint course is THREE times that length! I know Tim and Will Mason are entered for the Friday so maybe that is the plan?

Old 5 Jul 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1648676)   #16
Judd
Rookie

Judd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw such a great example of hillclimbers on Sunday.

Scott had just set a new hill record and Martin had been flagged due to the timing system's idiosyncrasies. Martin, understandably, is a little stressed by this and needs a cigarette!

Meanwhile, Paul is fueling it, Chris Merrick is in the driver's seat with the brakes on, Val is cleaning the right front and Roger Moran the left front. SUPERB!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1648736)   #17
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You could always have a go at sprinting! I know it is heretical even to mention it but you do get a hell of a lot more seat time e.g. Craigantlet is 1460 yards whilst the Kirkistown sprint course is THREE times that length! I know Tim and Will Mason are entered for the Friday so maybe that is the plan?
Not the kind of seat time I had in mind... We've now had 18 events in the 2006 BHC, Will has been unable to compete in most because of circumstances largely beyond his control. IIRC the sprinters have only had five goes...

I'd love to do Kirkistown 1, if anybody's offering a ride????

Paul
Old 5 Jul 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1648739)   #18
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd
I saw such a great example of hillclimbers on Sunday.

Scott had just set a new hill record and Martin had been flagged due to the timing system's idiosyncrasies. Martin, understandably, is a little stressed by this and needs a cigarette!

Meanwhile, Paul is fueling it, Chris Merrick is in the driver's seat with the brakes on, Val is cleaning the right front and Roger Moran the left front. SUPERB!

Just some of the reasons why virtually no other form of motorsport is a satisfying to watch/partake in/officiate...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1648756)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport

Quote:
Not the kind of seat time I had in mind... We've now had 18 events in the 2006 BHC, Will has been unable to compete in most because of circumstances largely beyond his control. IIRC the sprinters have only had five goes...

I'd love to do Kirkistown 1, if anybody's offering a ride????

Paul
Not taking the Elan as the time contraints mean I have to be back home Sunday evening!

I do appreciate that with the crowding in of events in the hillclimb championship if you have a problem then you could end up missing several 'rounds'.

Maybe there should be just one meeting/two rounds at each venue?

Old 5 Jul 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1648844)   #20
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been a lot of drivers wanting one meeting/2 rounds for quite a while now

The Monday after June Doune drivers have raced 4 weekends in a row ranging from Gurston all the way up to Doune. Not the easiest month to get anything else done!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1649024)   #21
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbadgers
There have been a lot of drivers wanting one meeting/2 rounds for quite a while now

The Monday after June Doune drivers have raced 4 weekends in a row ranging from Gurston all the way up to Doune. Not the easiest month to get anything else done!
So QB what are people (i.e. drivers) going to do about it?

After all the poor number of entries at certain venues is more than likely due to the week-on-week cycle.

Old 6 Jul 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1649279)   #22
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not taking the Elan as the time contraints mean I have to be back home Sunday evening!
Always a problem when owning a Lotus. Can't expect them there to get there and back in a weekend without RAC 5* assistance can you?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1649392)   #23
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So QB what are people (i.e. drivers) going to do about it?

After all the poor number of entries at certain venues is more than likely due to the week-on-week cycle.

The hillclimb committee has been dealing with it but it has been going around in circles for ages now.

Is it a case that the venues don't want to lose a round of the championship for money reasons?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1649546)   #24
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbadgers
The hillclimb committee has been dealing with it but it has been going around in circles for ages now.

Is it a case that the venues don't want to lose a round of the championship for money reasons?
Judging by the Number of Entries and the Number of Spectators at Harewood on Sunday they could have run two 1-day club meetings and taken a lot more money. I suspect it is the old wives tale of the kudos of holding two British Championship meetings in the season outweighing economic sense!

As there are 11 venues that currently hold British Hillclimb meetings what would be wrong with a 22 round championship that only visits each venue once? This should lead to a better spread of events throughout the season and cut the cost for the competitors into the bargain. The 'dropped' events will still attract massive entries and will not mean a loss of revenue for the organising clubs.

Old 6 Jul 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1649779)   #25
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even marshalling costs get expensive travelling to all the rounds