Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Nov 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1472633)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCC coverage - Why do they ignore 1987?

Over the past few months we have been getting the WTCC highlights (magazine type show from Eurosport) down here. While it has been great to see the action, one thing that did strike me was the reluctance of the coverage to recognise the inaugural 1987 WTCC.

While the aims and application of this attempt at a WTCC is vastly different to the purpose of the 1987 WTCC, it is still related to what we have today and deserves to be recognised as the inaugural series.

You would also think that as the 1987 WTCC champion Roberto Ravaglia runs a team in the re-born series, that the connection would not only be mentioned, but played on. Formula 1 and the WRC (the other two FIA world series remember) place a great deal of importance and attention on the past championships, but this series won't. On the Oschersleban highlights Ravaglia is just mention as a 'former WTCC driver', abit more than that....

What do others think?
Old 29 Nov 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1472920)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think if you pop into this website http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...87%20WTCC.html

you'll see quite clearly why nobody talks about it.

I must admit I have good memories but then I read this and it all sadly comes back to me. However the lack of variety in the marques is very similar to today's position.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1472947)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More worthwhile to discuss the recent ETCC years with similar cars, drivers and tracks really. 1987 F1 at least has some similarities to today's.

Tags
wtcc