Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 15 Feb 2024, 11:54 (Ref:4196799)   #1
polruiz12
Rookie

polruiz12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suspension System Project + technical drawings FF

Good morning guys,

I am Pol and I am a 4th year mechanical enginieering student from Spain, I am new to this forum as I've seen it is the best place to keep informed about Formula Ford cars.

Right now I am starting my final degree project which consists on the Design and Optimization of a Formula Ford suspension system.

I have a problem which is that as I am designing a suspension system withhout a reference chassis, I don't really know which dimensiones or chassis values take.

I have two options:
Designing a suspension system which can be fitted in a big group of cars (imagining I am an independent supplier of suspension system).
Designing a suspension system designed for a specifical car with a poor performance (I have been told that 84 Van Diemen and 85 Reynard are pretty bad cars) and improved the suspension they have.

I would like to get some advice from you, if possible, on chosing one of the 2 options and telling me models of car with bad performance based on your experience and if it's interesting or hypothetically feasible buying a new set of suspensions which improves their car.

The other main problem derived from that debate is obtaining technical drawing of some Formula Ford cars (if you can tell me some poor performances cars I would like to have those drawings) in order to design the suspension system within the dimensions. I would like to get some information to where or how to find them and if someone can provide me them.

From what I have seen, this is an incredible forum and I would love to receive first-hand help from you, any help will be welcomed and recognized in my final project report.

Thank you.
Old 16 Feb 2024, 19:04 (Ref:4196960)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi polruiz. From my point of view, if you pick up the second option it will be hard to meet a real commercial success, I fear. The years you mention belong to a "period" making those cars which previously were FF becoming HFF, Historic Formula Ford, and the regulations are rather strict. Sure you can suggest better shocks but a full different and highly improved system will make tham not compliant. I seem to remeber that van Diement went from two shocks at front to a monoshock system abck in the day. This is only my opinion but don't worry, now one has posted an answer you'll see many showing up. Good luck, great project.
Old 18 Feb 2024, 09:28 (Ref:4197148)   #3
polruiz12
Rookie

polruiz12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for replying to the thread, I will keep in mind your feedback.
Right now I am starting to analyse the tires of the car and trying to locate the center of gravity (something a bit hard due to poor information about the whole list of components) to start designing the suspension.

I hope I can make it through.
Old 18 Feb 2024, 13:46 (Ref:4197163)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be you can take contact with a team in your area. Collecting data in situ is a good thing and young brains are often welcome. Yesterday "tools" were a pro monopoly but now you can do wonders with few money and a some knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/form...panayportugal/
If your location is northern part of Spain, try and make contact with a french team, if its southern may be a portuguese or spanish team can be a good idea.

The first line in your to do list can be studying the regulation.

French : http://www.formula-ford-historic.fr/...ent-technique/
GB: https://hscc.org.uk/championships/hi...-formula-ford/
Try and have contact with the Avon Motorsport offiicial distributor is a good idea. Direct to GB is a better one…