Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3843303)   #976
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Not to me, they don't and I'm not stupid.
This is the first post to introduce the word 'stupid'.

No one referred to any member here as stupid - the word was introduced in the context of championships other than the drivers' having no relevance.

It's hard to discuss or debate topics, if any opposing view is dismissed and the poster is requested to stop disagreeing!

In 2015, the VW CC was driven to the independent teams' trophy, and the teams' championship - so no matter how it is spun, the car is a championship winner.
It could be argued that the teams' championship is a better judge of the quality of a car than the drivers' - so IMO I think we're not looking at a case of the VW CC coming good, more that it is showing a return to its former performance level.

This also must be a credit to HARD, who having done the initial development saw the cars decline from their peak in the hands of others, and are now putting them back at the sharp end again.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3843305)   #977
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eurotech will no longer be running Simpson’s car. Seems to me like he’s had a win, had a podium and managed to get as much setup data as he needs so has decided he doesn’t need any help anymore. Bit cheeky!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3843306)   #978
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weird.

“Having helped Matt to his best ever season in BTCC we were completely shocked to be told that he no longer wanted to run with us, especially immediately after the podium in race three,” Smith said.

“Whilst we are disappointed not to be running Matt for the rest of the 2018 season we wish him the best of luck in the remaining three rounds and beyond.”

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...rotech-racing/
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3843307)   #979
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Eurotech will no longer be running Simpson’s car. Seems to me like he’s had a win, had a podium and managed to get as much setup data as he needs so has decided he doesn’t need any help anymore. Bit cheeky!
Running independent, and no longer wants to be part of Eurotech.

Where does he have eyes on next - Norlin?

Or will we see a 3rd FK8 soon?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3843308)   #980
Robin Marriott
Veteran

I think he’ll just carry on as an independent.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3843311)   #981
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didnt expect that, especially the morning after getting a podium. Not really sure how this can benefit Simpson.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3843314)   #982
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Didnt expect that, especially the morning after getting a podium. Not really sure how this can benefit Simpson.
No, it's all a bit strange. Like most of these 'situations' I'm sure that there's more to this than meets the eye which we may, or may not learn about as things unfold.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3843316)   #983
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This is the first post to introduce the word 'stupid'.

No one referred to any member here as stupid - the word was introduced in the context of championships other than the drivers' having no relevance.

It's hard to discuss or debate topics, if any opposing view is dismissed and the poster is requested to stop disagreeing!

In 2015, the VW CC was driven to the independent teams' trophy, and the teams' championship - so no matter how it is spun, the car is a championship winner.
It could be argued that the teams' championship is a better judge of the quality of a car than the drivers' - so IMO I think we're not looking at a case of the VW CC coming good, more that it is showing a return to its former performance level.

This also must be a credit to HARD, who having done the initial development saw the cars decline from their peak in the hands of others, and are now putting them back at the sharp end again.
I meant it is great to see the CC returning to some degree of its previous form with Team HARD, really thought Bushell was going to get a podium in Race 2, gutted that he dropped back.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3843317)   #984
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Running independent, and no longer wants to be part of Eurotech.

Where does he have eyes on next - Norlin?

Or will we see a 3rd FK8 soon?
I like Matt, I've spoken to him many times at BTCC and he always comes across as a decent enough guy, but he is becoming a real journeyman here, 3 teams running his car in 3 seasons.
Sounds like a bit of a bridge burned with Eurotech and I'm not sure how he left the situations with Speedworks and Dynamics

I am also wondering if hes now wanting to jump to Norlin after they have had a decent run of results. He is kind of getting the team swapping reputation Andrew Jordan had 2 or 3 years ago which isn't going to be good for him.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3843318)   #985
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I like Matt, I've spoken to him many times at BTCC and he always comes across as a decent enough guy, but he is becoming a real journeyman here, 3 teams running his car in 3 seasons.
Sounds like a bit of a bridge burned with Eurotech and I'm not sure how he left the situations with Speedworks and Dynamics

I am also wondering if hes now wanting to jump to Norlin after they have had a decent run of results. He is kind of getting the team swapping reputation Andrew Jordan had 2 or 3 years ago which isn't going to be good for him.
Will the HARD and Simpson wheels align at any point? 😜

I do wonder if he feels it is time to move to a newer car, and this was not possible with Eurotech?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3843320)   #986
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I do wonder if he feels it is time to move to a newer car, and this was not possible with Eurotech?
Time to resurrect the "new cars at Speedworks, Tingram/ Simpson run from the same stable"? 🤣
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3843325)   #987
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

To me at least, it seems a really strange time to do it tho, its not like he will get a new car for the last 3 rounds, surely he would have been best off seeing the season out and sorting it in the close season?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3843327)   #988
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:

I’m not sure a ‘newer’ car is really of any benefit these days, engines tend to be updated every year and any updates to the subframes or suspension components are the same across the board too so other than some aero advances on newer stuff maybe, it’s probably better the devil you know, as Dynamics have proven this year. Had they retained the FK2, they’d be in a much better place.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3843329)   #989
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Simpsons has improved massively this season, but it’s a bit of a gamble leaving Eurotech before the season is out, having done so well with them
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3843332)   #990
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be a financial decision? He will have been paying £xxx per round for Eurotech to run the car, maybe the kitty is getting a bit low so he needs to cut costs and that can be done by going at it alone.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3843335)   #991
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Could it be a financial decision? He will have been paying £xxx per round for Eurotech to run the car, maybe the kitty is getting a bit low so he needs to cut costs and that can be done by going at it alone.
Or did he feel he was definitely the 3rd driver in the team? He might of felt the focus was on Goff & Smith, but no doubt the story will come out in time!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3843338)   #992
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think most likely this situation. The car got quite badly beaten up at Rock so having Eurotech putting it straight will cost a fair bit, a cost saving Simpson Racing could avoid by doing it themselves.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3843339)   #993
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I think most likely this situation. The car got quite badly beaten up at Rock so having Eurotech putting it straight will cost a fair bit, a cost saving Simpson Racing could avoid by doing it themselves.
Lol. the Simpsons have a HUGE amount of money. budget won't be the issue!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3843342)   #994
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

You don't cut costs by setting up your own team and buying all the kit to run your own car.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3843346)   #995
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope Matt Simpson knows what he's doing going it alone after all the support he received from Eurotech....
Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3843347)   #996
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
You don't cut costs by setting up your own team and buying all the kit to run your own car.
Although that does rather depend on what he owned anyway. The car belongs to him and he presumably owns the truck as well so he may own everything and could just have been paying for staff and knowledge.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3843352)   #997
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can totally see why he's doing it. He's always run his own cars and it must be really galling to pay other people to do what you've always done yourself. Doing it now gives him three rounds to see where the issues are and then the whole winter to sort them out. If he split at the end of the season he could waste the first few rounds trying to sort out things.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3843355)   #998
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
I can totally see why he's doing it. He's always run his own cars and it must be really galling to pay other people to do what you've always done yourself. Doing it now gives him three rounds to see where the issues are and then the whole winter to sort them out. If he split at the end of the season he could waste the first few rounds trying to sort out things.

These are tricky beasts to run, the margins are so small you are chasing tenths between being 20th or 10th on the grid and he has progressed well this year with a win and a podium, but we don't know what goes on within teams. Interesting he didn't gel with Speedworks as you could argue that the Avensis is probably the best engineered car on the grid, no one can seem to be able to place a car where Ingram does and get the stablility and turn in and that is down to chassis engineering and I would suggest Ingrams's Verstappen-esque feel for the car and particularly the braking.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3843360)   #999
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having known some guys from Speedworks this was all was always Simpsons intention.
They wanted to run their own car but pretty sure they probably looked and realised that moving to btcc and trying to set up a team and learn the ropes all in one go was too much.
They have been to 3 different teams looked at processes how they work probably some of their own staff working and learning and now they feel the time is right to go it alone and with a chance to get more staff in over the winter if they find they have a weakness.
Not a good way to go about it though and doesn't make for friends in the paddock as and when the do need help in the future. will be interesting to see their progress from now on.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3843361)   #1000
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So now they’ve got the experience, maybe going off to run their own team may pay off