Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3848764)   #1126
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we had in the past F1 champions who never won a race that season

the original DTM champion in 1984 was certain Volker Strycek ... he didn't win a single race but was crowned champion
Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3848765)   #1127
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
we had in the past F1 champions who never won a race that season
that’s wrong. every F1 champion has won at least one race in that season.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3848769)   #1128
porsche962fan
Veteran

my bad

was thinking of Keke Rosberg but he did indeed win a single race that season
Old 7 Sep 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3848773)   #1129
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
my bad

was thinking of Keke Rosberg but he did indeed win a single race that season
And while we are there, Mike Hawthorn should also be remembered.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3848776)   #1130
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the other side of the Atlantic we have the incredibly underrated Oriol Servia, who became Indy Lights champion in 1999 without winning a single race. Bear in mind that was the feeder series to CART (which was still huge at the time), it's quite the feat.

Servia deserved far more than the solitary ChampCar win he has in his career.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3848778)   #1131
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel that if you manage to beat everyone else at least once in the season, you deserve the championship
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3848815)   #1132
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I agree Colin is in the pound seat, if he only manages to qualify mid-grid at Silverstone, which is likely given the weight and suitably of the car at that track, he’ll be right in the danger-zone. Imagine if he got taken out of R1 it could ruin his whole weekend, with little chance of fighting back!

As a Turks fan I hope not, but it’s far from clear cut!
Old 8 Sep 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3848835)   #1133
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
right in the danger-zone.
the Danger Zone you say ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4

and we are very close to get a Plato no win season

Last edited by porsche962fan; 8 Sep 2018 at 10:31.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3848860)   #1134
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the Danger Zone you say ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4

and we are very close to get a Plato no win season
they should play that as the warm up music
Old 9 Sep 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3849035)   #1135
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
That or the tune from Rocky, someones car will no doubt be abused like a punch bag!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3849053)   #1136
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That or the tune from Rocky, someones car will no doubt be abused like a punch bag!
you mean this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27F46WPVJBs
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3849299)   #1137
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Josh Caygill in the 2. MG
http://www.btcc.net/2018/09/11/josh-...urance-racing/
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3849300)   #1138
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Can't say I've seen him race before so not quite sure how to judge him, but good luck all the same. Shame not to have Ant back though.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3849323)   #1139
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Can't say I've seen him race before so not quite sure how to judge him, but good luck all the same. Shame not to have Ant back though.
Likewise. I can't help but look at recent replacements and think "who are these people??"
Considering the teams involved are not exactly front runners and both Amd and Hard have stretched up to 4 cars this year that they are starting to find budgets not quite stretching.
Butcher is doing OK but Awe's 1 outing aside, I haven't really seen anything from Amd that backed up Boardman was dropped for performance issues.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3849330)   #1140
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In Blancpain GT Series and German Audi TT Cup Josh was a good driver
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3849335)   #1141
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In Blancpain GT Series and German Audi TT Cup Josh was a good driver
Good to hear. Sadly I haven't watched those but he's got an impressive CV! Hopefully once the weight is out he get some good results given how the MG suits Silverstone.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3849338)   #1142
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Likewise. I can't help but look at recent replacements and think "who are these people??"
Considering the teams involved are not exactly front runners and both Amd and Hard have stretched up to 4 cars this year that they are starting to find budgets not quite stretching.
Butcher is doing OK but Awe's 1 outing aside, I haven't really seen anything from Amd that backed up Boardman was dropped for performance issues.
Well I think the planned replacement for Boardman would of got better results, but someone threw a spanner in the works! Hence then a string of ‘fill in’ drivers.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3849339)   #1143
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Well I think the planned replacement for Boardman would of got better results, but someone threw a spanner in the works! Hence then a string of ‘fill in’ drivers.
Who was planned to replace Boardman before AWE got the seat? It makes sense if this is the case but new drivers need a bit more than a race weekend to get to grips with the car and deliver the best they can.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3849340)   #1144
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
... And there wasn't a single available steady driver who could have done 5 rounds?
Whats the point constantly throwing a new driver with no experience of the car and extra ballast in each time?

Jake Hill steady as he is, IMHO isn't spectacular, and isn't the only driver in the world available and if they sacked Boardman with no plan B it makes me wonder how much of a plan A they really had
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3849345)   #1145
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...and so he and Hammerton will become the 40th and 41st drivers to contest the 2018 BTCC which is a new record for the NGTC era and the highest since 2001 (47 Drivers).
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3849349)   #1146
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
... And there wasn't a single available steady driver who could have done 5 rounds?
Whats the point constantly throwing a new driver with no experience of the car and extra ballast in each time?

Jake Hill steady as he is, IMHO isn't spectacular, and isn't the only driver in the world available and if they sacked Boardman with no plan B it makes me wonder how much of a plan A they really had
Its funny because I thought Jake Hill was really impressive when he first came into the BTCC with the (now defunct) A4...
Old 11 Sep 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3849353)   #1147
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Its funny because I thought Jake Hill was really impressive when he first came into the BTCC with the (now defunct) A4...
He still is, he's just never had a particularly competitive car. Put him in a Honda, Focus, Astra etc. and he'll be a regular visitor to the podium.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3849365)   #1148
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:

Plan A was sorted until someone renegaded on an agreement. I think testing proved that Jake would of been right up with Butcher (at the very least), I think both Jake & Mike Epps flattered the Team HARD cars over the last few years. There comments on how the MG compared to their recent cars says it all really!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3849372)   #1149
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Plan A was sorted until someone renegaded on an agreement. I think testing proved that Jake would of been right up with Butcher (at the very least), I think both Jake & Mike Epps flattered the Team HARD cars over the last few years. There comments on how the MG compared to their recent cars says it all really!
Agreement in place with Hill or not, I still don't see why they were not able to secure a decent driver till the season end. Each time they are getting the extra ballast and spending the weekend with a car at the tail end while the driver acclimatises to the car rather than just picking out another hopefull and saying OK 5 rounds show us what you can do.
I thought Amd were a bit more professional than just being a rent a drive outfit towards the season end.

The whole thing with Hill is its the exact same situ we had with Team Dynamics and Mototbase a month before the season started. I don't see why people aren't being as critical of Hill trying to engineer a way into another team. People also criticise Team Hard for exactly this, yet Hill and Amd seem like teflon

To me at least, Amd should have had a better plan lined up than sacking a driver before having a replacement
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3849393)   #1150
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Agreement in place with Hill or not, I still don't see why they were not able to secure a decent driver till the season end. Each time they are getting the extra ballast and spending the weekend with a car at the tail end while the driver acclimatises to the car rather than just picking out another hopefull and saying OK 5 rounds show us what you can do.
I thought Amd were a bit more professional than just being a rent a drive outfit towards the season end.

The whole thing with Hill is its the exact same situ we had with Team Dynamics and Mototbase a month before the season started. I don't see why people aren't being as critical of Hill trying to engineer a way into another team. People also criticise Team Hard for exactly this, yet Hill and Amd seem like teflon

To me at least, Amd should have had a better plan lined up than sacking a driver before having a replacement
There is a lot more to this one that puts things in a different light, not for open forum discussions at present, but you’d see why AmD have ended up going down this route, which is not ideal. Plus the whole Hill scenario has ‘other factors’ compared to Jackson/Motorbase split. So whilst there are similarities there are also a whole lot of differences.