Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 31 May 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1624053)   #26
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sports 2000 in it's heyday of the late 70's was fantastic. Basically the FF2000 concept with full bodies on, but raced as perhaps modern BTCC should be. Very close with a bit of contact, but not the punting off which the BTCC suffers from. It's a pity it got a little lost like many other Formulae in the 80's.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1624438)   #27
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
What an excellent thread, i'm gonna have to rate it after!

Some of the names from '78 are obviously quite well known after all the other things they did as well. I remember seeing some of the races in '84 when it was still quite a competitive series with the likes of Sean Walker, James Thomson the Hillclimb ace (who tried to do what Andy Priaulx has successfully done today) Mike O Brien, Bill Coombs and Ian Flux I think.

Slightly off topic, Somebody mentioned the Aquila from 1983 that O Brien campaigned into '84. Did this Marque become Shrike towards the end of the category's heyday or am I thinking of different people?

Back to '78 drivers, We know Fearless Frank went onto a succesful touring car career (although not initially), but two other guys mentioned also attempted to follow the BTCC route IIRC.

Mike Kimpton and Wayne Wainwright were entered in Grp 1 Capris in the early 80's, it might have been around the time that Sytner had a crack in the TWR Rover or maybe bit before that? Anyone know who they drove for?
chunt, the Aquila was designed by Richard Owen, and came out in late 82 for Mike O'Brien I think. It was very different to the others, eg Tiga, Lola, Royales of the period, and went well.

I think there was some sort of legal wrangling as to the name/design rights, and the next year a very similar car, again designed by Owen appeared, now called the Shrike. IIRC only one Aquila ever appeared, though a good few Shrikes were made in the next few years.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1625016)   #28
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
It was Steve Harvey, not Steve Webb, who I meant a post or 2 up. I saw you Richard at the 81 Mallory Enduro S2000, with Nick Atkins and one other driver. 78 Tigas were v rare over here, so your car was a little different, tho' visually identical to the 79 and 80 cars IIRC.
Spot on Dan, Good days, we suffered from only being able to afford 2nd hand old tyres. I really enjoyed the long distance events.
The Willhire 24hr races were great memories too. Such a shame the then owner of BHL priced it out of everyone's reach.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1628524)   #29
MaxMotus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
MaxMotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMotus

The Picture is taken at Oulton Parks Old Hall Corner.

19 Frank Sytner - Lola 492.

1 John Pancho Webb - Tiga.

2 John Brindley - Lola 492.

Behind Car 2 Wayne Wainright - Lola 492.

24 John Travelian - Lola 490 (Front radiator).

3 Chris Alford - Lola 492.

According to my father who raced in the series at the same time. I do know Chris Alford so I will check with him at somestage.

MM
Double checked and all good!

MM
Old 10 Jun 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1631185)   #30
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chunterer,

There were two Aquilas running at any one time, one the works car for Mike O'B and another for Ian Flux. As dan thought there was a legal wrangle, and the first Shrikes were basically productionised Aquilas.

I bought O'B's car from Richard Owen, than Fluxie destroyed his at Combe testing and I bought all that was left (not a lot, believe me...). I kept bouncing mine off more Armco barriers than the wallet could support, and I sold it to a mate who had it rebuilt but then the trail goes cold. I *think* mine was chassis 003 but it was a long time ago.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1633225)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Blimey, sounds like it was a particularly expensive hobby at the time... ouch!!

Lets hope someonenelse comes on to highlight the later history of the early Aquila's that you mentioned.

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Jun 2006 at 12:38.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1634114)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>Lets hope someonenelse comes on to highlight the later history of the early Aquila's that you mentioned.

Agreed. Have to say, i wouldn't mind seeing it in my garage again, I really liked the car.

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Jun 2006 at 12:38.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1638387)   #33
HH Tech
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
HH Tech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola

Hello
Here is a pic of what might be Frank Sythners car. I can check with the owner and I doubt that he would paint it like that if it wasn't the original car.
Its a T492-80 according to our results table.

Picture is from Sport 2000 heat at Mantorp Park Sweden 27May
Old 17 Jul 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1657919)   #34
Ray Cleaver
Rookie

Ray Cleaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Info needed on tiga sports 2000 sc82

I'm in the process of purchasing a Tiga sports 2000 sc82 from Bob Cacciotti who lives in Virginia. I do have some info on the previous owner and the cars ID.
Current owner: Bob Cacciotti (Virginia)
Previous owner: Giuseppe (Joe) Marannano (California)
ID/serial number on car: 180
The car raced in the California area in the early ninties and I've been told it was a winning car

If anyone can help me on either some race results from preferable before the end of 1986 or how I can reach the place where the Tiga cars were built or even someone may know if and when the log book was issued.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Ray Cleaver. Sydney, Australia.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1658040)   #35
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray

I'll have a look in On Track for period results - assuming that Manannaro was the driver in the early 80s. However, until the national S2000 series kicked off in 1984 there wasn't much coverage of the class, so we have to hope he was quick enough to make the top three in SCCA races!

I'd say from the chassis number that this was a SC81 not an 82.
Chassis 177 was Wayne Rodoni's SC81 in period, and the next number in the Tiga build sequence that I have is 183 which was an Atlantic car. Both of these are late season, so your car might not have debuted until 82. The first proper 82 chassis number I have is SC82-190, delivered out in California.

Chris
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1658054)   #36
Ray Cleaver
Rookie

Ray Cleaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga sc82

Thank you Chris for your reply.
The ID/serial number is what the current owner gave me. I've ask him for a photo of the Tiga ID plate or if he can write down what's written on it.
Once I get that info I can only go on what I've been given, maybe thats why I seemed to be hitting brick walls on my searches. I hope you can come back with some results as I believe the log book has gone missing.
Regards Ray.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1664431)   #37
bob k.
Rookie

Canada
Campbell River B.C.
bob k. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am new to this forum and found this discussion interesting. I own Lola T490/2 HU4 which I have just found out was delivered to Davina Galica on March 18 1977. Does anyone remember this car or any of its history. The car came with a second set of well used, modified body work that indicates the car was used in Thudersports (or at least the body was) The car has centre lock wheels which might support the Thundersports history as it is my understanding that these were not allowed by rules in S2000. I believe the car came to Canada in 1983 and I am the third Canadian owner. The previous 2 owners believed the car to be an ex John Webb car. Does anyone remember or know history or have images of this car with either of these 2 drivers (Galica or Webb) Looking forward to hearing from you or any T490 492 owners or ex racers.

bob k.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1664683)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Warm welcome, Bob!
Old 26 Jul 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1664773)   #39
Dan Rear
Veteran

Bob, thats quite a historic car you have there. It was used by Divi thru' the first S2000 season, in the UK in 1977. She won most of the races in the first half of the year, IIRC including the first ever S2000 race at Oulton Park Easter 1977. She ended up narrowly losing the series to John Cooper's T490. In a few races that clashed with her G8 Surtees races, the car was driven by sundry other stars, tho' I can't recall exactly who off-hand!

The next year, 78, it went to John Webb, another early UK S2000 stalwart, who switched from the first Tiga S2000 to this car midway thru' the year. IIRC he ran it thru' 79 too.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1664810)   #40
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could this be bob k's car?
Jwebb

I have a feeling this was taken in the early 80's so it may be a different one
Old 26 Jul 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1664821)   #41
Dan Rear
Veteran

Nordic, no I don't think so, that 'RG' is for Ralph's Garage I think, which was David Prophet's entrant in 1980.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1665302)   #42
bob k.
Rookie

Canada
Campbell River B.C.
Dan, thanks for the info, it sounds as if you have been following S2000 for a good number of years. I had found the picture of the Webb Lola and wondered if it was mine as it appears to have center lock wheels (shiny centers) Do you have any recollection of the car, or any 492, being used in Thundersports with modified red bodywork? FYI it appears as if my car lost its original engine and gearbox along the way as they are not the ones supplied from factory. Do you know of any web site where I might find the S2000 race results or entry lists from 1977, 1978 etc.

again thanks for everyones input and information

cheers bob k.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1665615)   #43
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I substituted for my boss, young John Brown in a 490 at Thruxton in 77 but Davina wasn't there. I got a lap record and was leading till John Cooper nerfed me off at the chiquane on the last lap, the *******!
He failed to attend the winner's reception at the end of the race, 'cos I was there, more ugly than normal.
He made up for it though and I raced with him at Le Mans some years later.
(I think I said all this in a previous thread, but I also worked for Eric Broadley at Lola on small race car projects including the brand new Sports 2000. In Thundersports though, I got to use F2 engined machines, TOJ, Tiga etc. Pukka!)
Old 27 Jul 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1666076)   #44
bob k.
Rookie

Canada
Campbell River B.C.
Dan, you are correct, Divina just confirmed that she did win the first ever S2000 race. She also states that the car was owned by Brands Hatch and run by Nick Whiting with Charlie Whiting as mechanic. Any more recollections out there?

cheers bob k.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1666484)   #45
Dan Rear
Veteran

Bob, thought so ! It was a lurid green colour, and sponsored by Kelly Girl, a UK employment agency of the time.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1666599)   #46
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Bob, thought so ! It was a lurid green colour, and sponsored by Kelly Girl, a UK employment agency of the time.
and owned by John Webb Brands Hatch and used very much as a promotional thing for the new MCD formula. ?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1666680)   #47
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Juliette Slaughter scheduled to drive it when Divi had other commitments?

Chris
Old 28 Jul 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1666716)   #48
Dan Rear
Veteran

Chris, yes I think you're right. Did she ever though?

Re the car in T'sports, I don' t remember many T490/492s in this. They may have been in the few 'long-distance' S2000 races tho' from 1981-83 or so.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1666824)   #49
bob k.
Rookie

Canada
Campbell River B.C.
Re drivers filling in for Divina, I got a reply from her saying she does not remember any one else driving the car in her away races with the TS19. She also confirmed the Green co;our and the Kelly Girl sponsorship. The car ran with #13, her birthday and lucky number.

bob k.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1667034)   #50
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There where 3 T492's entered in the Brands Hatch 6 hour in 1980 and 1 the following year.

The Program for 1980 lists one car, number 37 driven by syd fox as..... 'the ex Desire Wilson Sports 2000 Lola T492 for the TDC trailers team this year with the new TDC-designed bodywork'

The car finished 19th

Re other drivers stepping in for Desire Wilson, there is a picture in the program for a Aurora F1 race at Brands on 25/8/80 of J Slaughter being nerffed at Mallory park in 1978 while driving a 'kelly Girl' Lola.

Hope this helps