Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Sep 2020, 18:36 (Ref:4005899)   #851
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Like every sports racing fan I have huge affection for the RLM crew and enjoy spending the long hours of a 24H race with them. I do though sometimes wish they'd concentrate a bit more on the actual race. I suspect that when he's in the middle of a long story, theory or pet peeve it would take a car literally exploding in flames to get Mr Hindhaugh's attention back on the track .
I say this every year, but it is still relevant.

It’s a long race and there is scope to talk about other stuff. Although they could just generally cut down the opinion piece stuff. They have MWM for that.

However, primarily they should talk about what is going on. Whether they see it on the track (if there), on telly, on timing screens, from sources, etc...

And this is the comparison I make every year. Test match special. They talk about all sorts of stuff, but never miss commentating on every single ball.

RLM don’t need to describe every corner taken, but when not highlighting something on track the other stuff should be how is x doing verses y (E.g. y was 40s behind an hour ago, now 10s). What is likely to develop with pit stops? Are we seeing any trends in sector times, driver times, etc... Or even some scene setters, the rising sun, the smell of the bbq, etc...

The cakes that have been sent in, or the number 8 bus coming round the corner. Oh wait that is TMS.

Oh, and I also say every year - RLM, where would we be without it.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 18:43 (Ref:4005901)   #852
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think test match special is an unfair comparison, there is loads of downtime between balls but no downtime in a 24h race.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Sep 2020, 21:03 (Ref:4005918)   #853
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite. When there isn’t downtime don’t talk downtime topics! There is plenty of time to do so - and do it more justice.

There is always something to talk about the race even if no car is overtaking, pitting or spinning.
Old 25 Jul 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4063085)   #854
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has anyone heard anything regarding RLM's plans for Le Mans this year via Midweek Motorsport, Listeners' Collective, Twitter or elsewhere?

Wondering who will be commentating?

Will they be based at the circuit or in the UK, and if in the UK, will there even be pit lane reporters at the circuit?

And, if the commentary team are going to be 100% based in the UK (or outside of France, at least), will there even be an FM transmission of the Radio Le Mans stream for spectators to tune in to at the circuit? I'm guessing they are contracted to provide an FM transmission at the circuit for spectators, but they may not be, and with just a fraction of their usual trackside audience in attendance this year, I'm thinking the unthinkable might happen...no Radio Le Mans to tune in to at the circuit!?

Any info (and reassurance) appreciated.
Old 25 Jul 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4063095)   #855
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess I've not heard a thing - literally, radio silence......
Old 25 Jul 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4063121)   #856
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
... I'm thinking the unthinkable might happen...no Radio Le Mans to tune in to at the circuit!?...
I hadn't even thought about that

Was there any FM content last year (there were, of course, plenty of team personnel/marshals/locals/etc that could tune in)?

I suspect the biggest hurdle for RLM staff is any quarantine requirements on their return to the UK and would that impact their other work commitments.

Also, they don't commentate by looking out of the window, so the quality of broadcast should, in theory, be the same if coming from their World HeadQuarters (Hindy's spare room) or the press centre at LM.

Even 'pitlane' interviews with drivers can be done over the phone.
Old 25 Jul 2021, 19:24 (Ref:4063126)   #857
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They provided commentary remotely as I recall.
Old 25 Jul 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4063127)   #858
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I am embarrassed to say that is the last time I listened to any RLM.

Edit: apart from IMSA race coverage.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4063166)   #859
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In related news, the test day and Wednesday practice sessions are now appearing in the broadcast calendar on their website.

No sign of any preview shows yet.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4063174)   #860
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's great news, best to be kept up to date from the start of official testing. I'm sure they will do their usual top job
Old 26 Jul 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4063194)   #861
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They provided commentary remotely as I recall.
I'm sure this is correct Peter. I don't think there were even any staff in the pitlane, hence the paucity of pitlane reports.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4063220)   #862
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm sure this is correct Peter. I don't think there were even any staff in the pitlane, hence the paucity of pitlane reports.
And that, basically, is the root cause of my concerns that there may be no FM transmission for spectators at the circuit. Will they really send a team of engineers over to France to transport, set up and maintain the FM transmission equipment for just a few hundred spectators who would use the broadcast? I have my doubts, and using the online stream using mobile data is going to be a battery drainer and potentially expensive for anyone who doesn't have a contract with many GB's of mobile data included.

Maybe I'm just being alarmist, but if this transpires it's going to be a proper nuisance for many.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4063221)   #863
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course we don't actually need a FM transmission in this day and age, just an internet connection to pick up the website.

In the past I've used that when out at Mulsanne or Arnage on the test day as the signal seemed to be turned down.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4063222)   #864
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
And that, basically, is the root cause of my concerns that there may be no FM transmission for spectators at the circuit. Will they really send a team of engineers over to France to transport, set up and maintain the FM transmission equipment for just a few hundred spectators who would use the broadcast? I have my doubts, and using the online stream using mobile data is going to be a battery drainer and potentially expensive for anyone who doesn't have a contract with many GB's of mobile data included.

Maybe I'm just being alarmist, but if this transpires it's going to be a proper nuisance for many.
You could always buy a local sim. Even 30 euros would be cheaper than roaming charges. Data messaging works whatever number you use.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4063224)   #865
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You could always buy a local sim. Even 30 euros would be cheaper than roaming charges. Data messaging works whatever number you use.
I didn't think roaming charges were due to return till next year?
Old 26 Jul 2021, 11:59 (Ref:4063225)   #866
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
I didn't think roaming charges were due to return till next year?
Depends on network, and for some they are under a 'fair use' arrangement.

EE:
Any contract taken out, renewed or upgraded after 7 July - 2£ per day roaming from Jan 22.

O2:
Fair use cap of 25GB, from 2 Aug 21. After that, £3.50 per GB.

Three:
Fair use cap of 12GB, from 1 Jul 21.

Vodafone:
Fair use cap of 25GB already in place. After that, £3.13 per GB.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4063268)   #867
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Me too.

Bit of a shame how they handled relationships with former colleagues. Put me off RLM big time. The "you're either with us or against us" attitude appears to be largely their own making, and in doing so, they've lost this listener.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4063271)   #868
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

That's a rather large, recurring exception!

There's been something of a clique/family* around RLM for at least as long as I've been into sportscars, which'll be more than a decade now. It has worked out well for them in some cases, and badly in others.

To be fair (I don't want to dog-pile RSL here...), I have enjoyed the wider focus for other realms of motorsport that they have more-or-less forced themselves into. I also think it's good that they're looking further afield for opportunities, and to move away - albeit slowly - from the old guard towards younger presenters/commentators.

Still, I do chuckle every time Dagys is invited on MWM, given the collective opinion of him only a couple of years ago!

*delete as appropriate
Old 26 Jul 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4063277)   #869
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My focus is (and always has been) very narrow. I listen to RLM when I'm at Le Mans. No other time. I miss some of the commentators they used to have on, the likes of Ian Titchmarsh, Jim Roller, Sam Collins, Graham Tyler. I still love hearing from Bruce Jones and Joe Bradley in the pitlane. Nick Damon I can take in limited doses.... Of course many of us have listened for years to Trussers on RLM too. Besides that, as I say, my interest in RLM (RSL) is pretty limited but I'm hugely grateful for the (generally) fantastic service they've given us at Le Mans since 1987.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4063289)   #870
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A wave of nostalgia for commentators past
Any time is a good time to wish Truswell a full recovery. He's updated his blog too, it seems he was invited to the Spa Fun Cup race on behalf of DRM.

In the relatively short time I've been following sportscars, it's rather poignant to know that most of those names are out of the picture for various reasons. I suspect they'll all pop up on RLM's historic racing show at some point (and that's probably why they have a historic racing show truth be told).

Jim & Sam on the sunset shift will always be my quintessential RLM at LM experience.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 21:19 (Ref:4063309)   #871
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post

Jim & Sam on the sunset shift will always be my quintessential RLM at LM experience.
Yes, Trussers aside, Jim and Sam were always the real highlight of my night shifts too.
Old 11 Aug 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4066339)   #872
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RLM has started posting their 2021 Le Mans content on their site:

http://www.radiolemans.co/category/r...s/le-mans-24h/

The prototype and gt previews can be found there.
Old 12 Aug 2021, 01:29 (Ref:4066372)   #873
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks. I haven’t been on the look out. I have a long journey at the weekend - that’ll be something to listen too.
Old 12 Aug 2021, 07:54 (Ref:4066393)   #874
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I see from their Facebook group that they will be broadcasting remotely (so no pitlane reports) and discussions about the FM broadcast are continuing.

Also, I listened to the previews earlier in the week, they were refreshingly free of the usual informercials from sponsors, but I do hope that doesn't mean they aren't in a financial hole for the event (hopefully reduced travel and hotel costs make things easier).
Old 15 Aug 2021, 09:15 (Ref:4066778)   #875
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I see from their Facebook group that they will be broadcasting remotely (so no pitlane reports) and discussions about the FM broadcast are continuing.

Also, I listened to the previews earlier in the week, they were refreshingly free of the usual informercials from sponsors, but I do hope that doesn't mean they aren't in a financial hole for the event (hopefully reduced travel and hotel costs make things easier).
I used to love the updates about camping on the previews though - used to be part of the build-up to the event! However, I won't miss the three-hour long interview with a former obscure gentleman driver who's on to talk about launching his new gazebo business in the last few hours of the race.

I wonder when they'll be back?

Last edited by Gingers4Justice; 15 Aug 2021 at 09:26.