Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Aug 2021, 15:27 (Ref:4070015)   #351
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree, i like inverse color schemes between cars as an option. Having two cars look the same with maybe a red mirror vs white mirror, makes it difficult to tell the difference if the number panels aren't easy to see. !
Has the added advantage that if you run out of panels for one car it results in some odd looks.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 01:52 (Ref:4070063)   #352
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldasice View Post
DDef must have been used to activate the 'specific setting' (counter-measure) in order to maintain relatively reasonable stint lengths and stay on track. Also according to Toyota's press release, Akio Toyoda said that apparently Buemi helped come up with the counter-measure to the fuel system issue.
"Default" suggests the button resets some kind of system, but what exactly? I asked Craig Scarborough, even he's at a loss so far.

Meanwhile vibration could have been a completely unrelated issue that came and went (e.g. tires).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Perhaps Eurosport made a mistake?
NO WAAY!

Quote:
Wide mouth is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

But it's not by any means a dog. The big problem is the livery, but not due to the generic colours, it's the asymmetry that spoils the look.
I found this:

And also this: https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...ip-2021.44666/

Where credit is due though, Toyota GR010 has the most unusual side number panels I've ever seen. Actually they are "number windows". The numbers themselves are cut-outs covered in transparent perspex or something like that. The white illuminated part of the number is actually the back wall of that 3D box. Not only this is cool, I think it might actually be a more reliable solution for illuminated numbers.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 24 Aug 2021 at 02:02.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 02:11 (Ref:4070067)   #353
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s possible that button did more than one thing and it’s actual function depended on what another switch, menu or setting was at.

The drivers had a way to work round the fuel system problem which meant they could at least get a fair number of laps in the stint. Better than changing the entire system!
Old 24 Aug 2021, 08:29 (Ref:4070088)   #354
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Where credit is due though, Toyota GR010 has the most unusual side number panels I've ever seen. Actually they are "number windows". The numbers themselves are cut-outs covered in transparent perspex or something like that. The white illuminated part of the number is actually the back wall of that 3D box. Not only this is cool, I think it might actually be a more reliable solution for illuminated numbers.
In the early days of the number panels, there were more than a few unscheduled pit stops to fix them. It's not something I've noticed recently, but it does seem to be a more reliable solution to have a cut-out number panel in front of a light box.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4070100)   #355
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
@scarbstech: it turns out this is a driver default button, in the race it was programmed to reduce fuel consumption under braking.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4070104)   #356
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I found this:

The full red car looks wonderful! As does the mock TS020 version.....
Old 24 Aug 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4070183)   #357
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota needs a solid color livery for sure. Maybe they can replace the lMP rear wing with that curved rear wing we saw in the original GR Super Sport. The headlights look to LMPish too. Put the GR Super Sport lights on that too.

With that said, Me thinks though Toyota never cared much about the looks of their race cars though.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4070202)   #358
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The one on the far right reminds me too much of the Porsche livery
Old 25 Aug 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4070270)   #359
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...-test/6653064/

Who do you think Hirakawa would replace? Nakajima most likely for me & de vries replacing Lopez in the #7
Old 25 Aug 2021, 09:07 (Ref:4070284)   #360
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
greenmachinets040 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The one on the far right reminds me too much of the Porsche livery
Agree! And the red one also.

Maybe Toyota should make a livery for at least one car as the TS020. But again, Gazoo Racing has its colours so there is not a big chance for livery change, maybe for a third car as an Artcar.

I really think that as the costs gone down a fair bit, Toyota should place a third car when serious competition comes.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 09:08 (Ref:4070285)   #361
greenmachinets040
Racer

Serbia
Backa Topola
greenmachinets040 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post

Who do you think Hirakawa would replace? Nakajima most likely for me & de vries replacing Lopez in the #7
He should not replace anyone. Nakajima and Lopez are as far seasoned drivers as the other 4. Nakajima is in the genes of Toyota and Lopez is a really good and solid driver.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 09:19 (Ref:4070286)   #362
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Maybe Nakajima (or Toyota) wants to go back to a domestic schedule? He has a strong link with TOM'S in particular, and he spent a number of seasons doing double or even triple duty before the pandemic.

I can't think of a likelier candidate, assuming Hirakawa doesn't do an Ishiura.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4070309)   #363
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally I can't see any reason to replace any of them, unless someone is keen to move on. But there's always a need to do 'succession planning'.....
Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4070318)   #364
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Unpopular opinion: people keep bringing up the GT One livery, but I think it was okay at best. It's revered because of the car that carried it. Nobody mentions that the exact same livery adorned all Toyota Formula 1 cars for 8 years. I don't remember it being revered at the time or any nostalgia for it now.

The one iconic Toyota (non-sponsoship) livery I would bring back for contemporary works cars is this:

Old 25 Aug 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4070323)   #365
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Now to me that is pretty dull!

They need to bring back the three separate liveries from 1992....
Attached Thumbnails
TS010-Le-Mans-1992-3.jpg  
Old 25 Aug 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4070342)   #366
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they had 3 separate liveries due sponsorships

the red/white was the denso car, blue/white the casio car and white/light blue should be the minolta car if memory helps me.
From 2016 all work toyota motorsport cars, from WEC to WRC have the usual boring white/red/black scheme of gazoo racing.
About gt-one, the iconic livery is the 1999 subliminal marlboro white and red, the f1 livery was loosely based on the gt-one 1998 livery.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:03 (Ref:4070362)   #367
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the red and white with maybe a bit of black is the generic livery for a works Toyota
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4070378)   #368
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
they had 3 separate liveries due sponsorships

the red/white was the denso car, blue/white the casio car and white/light blue should be the minolta car if memory helps me.
From 2016 all work toyota motorsport cars, from WEC to WRC have the usual boring white/red/black scheme of gazoo racing.
About gt-one, the iconic livery is the 1999 subliminal marlboro white and red, the f1 livery was loosely based on the gt-one 1998 livery.
Yep, I appreciate that the liveries in '92 were sponsor-related (they were all red and white by the next year), but having the three cars in such good looking liveries and so easy to tell apart was terrific.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 17:59 (Ref:4070385)   #369
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I specifically said "non-sponsorship". Most of the iconic liveries are tied to sponsorship by companies that either no longer exist or no longer involved at this level of the sport.

If I had to pick a favourite

But Denso are still involved in the sport and specifically with Toyota. So the current boring white and red is sort of a Denso livery still. Nothing stopping them from making it look more like that #7 in Aysedasi's post above.

Speaking of Minolta, there's a good chance we'll see a very competitively run Konica Milnolta Honda at Le Mans in less than 2 years!
Old 26 Aug 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4070424)   #370
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post

Pechito Lopez received the Toyota around 5 am in second place 10 seconds behind the Toyota No. 8 after the Kamui off-track that almost eliminated them from the race. And then he delivered the Toyota around 8 am with 2 minutes 10 seconds ahead of the No. 8 Toyota.
I honestly don't think Toyota wants to get rid of that kind of driver.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4070454)   #371
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
@scarbstech: it turns out this is a driver default button, in the race it was programmed to reduce fuel consumption under braking.
To be more specific, it cycled the fuel pump on/off. The drivers were using it to try and flush the system to counter the effect of g-forces under braking on the fuel pump.

The engineers estimated a 35-40 minute stop for repairs, so they (aided by Buemi's insights and on-track testing) devised the DDef solution.

Speaking of Buemi, his early-morning on-track stop was because he forgot to press the button quickly enough to restart the fuel pump.

Source: Mike Conway (~4:15)

Last edited by J Jay; 26 Aug 2021 at 09:31.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4070460)   #372
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, if Buemi came up with the idea (or the means by which it could work), massive kudos to him. Without it, the outcome could have been very different - and perhaps pretty exciting!
Old 26 Aug 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4070484)   #373
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weird that Vasselon said they had fixed the fuel contamination issue from Monza yet obviously that was not the case
Old 26 Aug 2021, 15:59 (Ref:4070494)   #374
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
To be more specific, it cycled the fuel pump on/off. The drivers were using it to try and flush the system to counter the effect of g-forces under braking on the fuel pump.

The engineers estimated a 35-40 minute stop for repairs, so they (aided by Buemi's insights and on-track testing) devised the DDef solution.

Speaking of Buemi, his early-morning on-track stop was because he forgot to press the button quickly enough to restart the fuel pump.

Source: Mike Conway (~4:15)
Fascinating! It's layers of stories like this that make this race so special.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4070563)   #375
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone have an idea what the two intakes are on the inside face of the rear wheel arches are? I want to say brake ducts, but the leading edges of the rear wheel arches already (it seems) has a pair of them.