Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 May 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2700790)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Formula 1 introduce all-weather tyres?

Last week I read this article on Autosport.com. In this article Tony Fernandes had this to say:
"I also try to encourage people that F1 should become closer to the car industry. It is important that we are a good provider of knowledge to the road car industry.

"That is why I am a supporter of 18 inch rims because it makes the tyres more relevant to the car industry. I am a supporter of KERS, although I think we have to do it in the right form and not spend 10 million bucks on something that is not going to be commercially used.
"

I do think Formula 1 should become more road relevant. In my opinion, not the amount of money spend by the teams is a big issue, but where the money is spend on. To justify its existence, Formula 1 should contribute to the development of road car technologies. An example is the development of clean, fuel-efficient and hence eco-friendly engines.

Regarding the tyres Formula 1 could make a contribution to the development of road car technologies too. This could be done by introducing non-standardized, durable all-weather tyres. The FIA could demand that the tyres are to be designed for both dry and wet track conditions and have a specified minimum of the tyre surface to be grooved with a specified minimum depth both before and after use. To make the tyres durable and easily enforce the rules, tyre changes should be outlawed. The regulations should make tyre manufactures to develop tyres which are essentially road legal.

There are a number of arguments for and against introducing all-weather tyres. The arguments in favour are:
- the tyres would become more road relevant;
- cost efficiency, because tyre manufactures can develop tyres covering all weather conditions;
- safety, because cornering speeds are lowered;
- pit stops will be no longer necessary.

The arguments against:
- As the mechanical grip is reduced massively, cars would rely even more on downforce and overtaking would become too difficult. This could be fixed by reducing the amount of downforce too. In fact, Formula 1's aerodynamics have no road relevance and hence it could questioned whether the amount of downforce should be reduced to the absolute minimum, just enough to keep the cars from coming off the ground.
- Formula 1 could become very slow. Whether a car is fast or not, is a perception. Compared to today's Formula 1 cars sports cars like the Ferrari 430, Audi R8 and Bugatti Veyron are quite slow, but those cars are incredibly fast compared to my road car. Besides, a lowering of the cornering speeds would allow Formula 1 to go to faster tracks.

Whether all-weather tyres should be introduced or not, is a political decision. But with Formula 1 seeking for a justification for its existence, it should at least be taken in consideration.