Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:678604)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Team orders at Williams-BMW?

Well, now that Montoya has pulled out a significant gap over Ralfie and looks like Big Schuey's principal challenger, will Williams dabble in the black arts of team orders? Sir Frank and Patrick still smart over 1986.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:27 (Ref:678632)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they'll let them race for now, the only time i can see them using orders is if it comes down to Suzuka and one has to move over for Williams to take the title.

Frank and Patrick are racing fans after all..... I hope.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:28 (Ref:678635)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they'll institute some form of team orders now. They're racing fans, but they're not stupid.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:31 (Ref:678642)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, maybe not team orders, but JPM will clearly and most definantly take preference amongst the team for the remainder of the season, and they'll be telling Ralf to keep behind him etc etc, but I'm not sure if they'll revert to 'moving over' tactics.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:678690)   #5
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But will Ralphie listen?
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:56 (Ref:678691)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well before this race Williams was adamant that they would be allowed to race. I see no change in philosophy until it is impossible for one of them to win the title.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 14:57 (Ref:678694)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt they'll ask Ralf to move over, throw his car off the road, or run into title rivals. That's not the Williams way, and I think Frank and Patrick prefer to ahve lost 1986 than to ahve won it in that way.

However, Montoya has been on stronger form recently where Ralf has made mistakes and had lacklustre days. if this continues at Hungary (not typically a good track for Montoya) then the development focus wil go into getting the car how Montoya likes it,a nd giving him first call on strategies, pit stop timings etc.

If any of you Ferrari fans are aghast of this prospect, I think you'd ebtter take a look at the red team.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 15:42 (Ref:678741)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I still think its early for team orders
Old 3 Aug 2003, 15:51 (Ref:678756)   #9
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be early for team orders. However, the team should seriously look at which racer is better equipped to take the fight to MS.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:52 (Ref:679145)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember people, team order are not allowed!

Ralf is out of it. JPM is Williams man.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 03:24 (Ref:679192)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Support-wise it would seem to make sense for the Team to focus more on Montoya. I doubt if there will be any orders once the race actually starts other than a polite request not to take each other out!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:15 (Ref:679446)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big argument about this is the rumour connecting JPM with McLaren & if the rumour is true would Frank Williams be willing to hand the number one over to McLaren so easy.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 12:53 (Ref:679566)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well Williams let no.1 go for 1993, 1994 and 1997. Not an issue, anyway, it is very unlikely that JPM will be at McLaren next year.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:05 (Ref:679581)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't believe there will be team orders at Williams, specially because the drivers love each other !
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:32 (Ref:679606)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Think forward 3 weeks - just imagine if JPM drops out (which he generally does at Hungary) and Ralf (somehow!) wins - it's all back on then.

Frank has a certain purity of thought when it comes to racing and team orders. As he said minutes before the race, his team orders were "race!". As he said, if they're clear in first and second late on then he'd ask them to cool it, but until then the order is "race!".

I think the only chance of any kind of orders coming into play is if one driver can help the other win the WDC at the final race.

And I'm sure that any rumours concerning JPM and a move outwards will be irrelevant to Frank until after the racing stops. If JPM wants to go, he'll quite possibly offload him as quickly as he can (Frank's never been afraid to do that). But while he's a Williams driver, results is all that matters - particularly as Williams have a decent shot at the Manufacturers' Title.

Last edited by garcon; 4 Aug 2003 at 13:34.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:45 (Ref:679618)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Think forward 3 weeks - just imagine if JPM drops out (which he generally does at Hungary) and Ralf (somehow!) wins - it's all back on then.
That could be ! JPM doesn't like that track.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 15:51 (Ref:679721)   #17
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there will be some sort of team orderes come in to effect. Ok we all know that Sir Frank is a big fan of racing and may the best man win set up, but iam sure he will be thinking along with BMW about winning both championships and having his 2 cars start next season as number 1 and 2.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 16:40 (Ref:679756)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Despite all evidence to the contrary?

They will race until only one of them can win.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 16:50 (Ref:679765)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Agreed. Williams has a long story of letting the #1 go away, more than any other team.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 17:06 (Ref:679776)   #20
jpm
Rookie

jpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don´t think they´re in need of team orders. They let them drive until Suzuka, then Ralf or Monty will support the one with the better chances to win the WDC without any official order. This is what a professional is expected to do.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 17:39 (Ref:679803)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yes, but they don't seen to have any will to be supportive to each other up to now...
Old 4 Aug 2003, 19:39 (Ref:679878)   #22
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the only team orders will be to continue finishing 1-2. Every time these guys finish one two they overtake the rest of the field in points and if it keeps up they will quickly surpass Ferrari in manufacturer points.

These two could get into a ****ing match at the end to see who will be champ and that could allow third to jump them from behind. That is what Sir Frank and Pat Head will be looking to keep from happening.
Never forget #99
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:15 (Ref:680024)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
team orders...i thought that was what Ralf was doing, he missed his brother though.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:46 (Ref:680319)   #24
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

At the end of the day, Frank Williams will want to secure the Constructor's Championship, and is unlikely to want his drivers to do anything that will not further that goal. Once that is done, I think he will let continue to them race until he has a clear winner for the Driver's Championship at which point it's academic isn't it?

Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:680322)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All Williams need to do is be less than super-determined in their appeal against Ralf's penalty... one more race win vs a third or fourth from Ralf will be enough for Montoya to be the natural challenger for WDC and the problem will go away.